• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Free Va. CHP Training w/.edu email address

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Dreamer wrote:
Is that offer going to be good for Non-Resident applicants as well?
Have no idea - why don't you shoot them an email?

Yata hey

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Jon34511 wrote:
This would be great for my girlfriend a Va Tech student, did the discount code ever get released?
For some reason the code is not being released early. Look for it on or about April 4th.

It will also be in published in the next VaAlert from VCDL - another good reason to subscribe. :)
http://www.vcdl.org/static/va-alert.html

Yata hey

Jon34511

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Jon34511 wrote:
This would be great for my girlfriend a Va Tech student, did the discount code ever get released?
For some reason the code is not being released early. Look for it on or about April 4th.

It will also be in published in the next VaAlert from VCDL - another good reason to subscribe. :)
http://www.vcdl.org/static/va-alert.html

Yata hey
Thanks! :celebrate

hunter45

imported post

As I mentioned in the VA forum, I'll be taking advantage of this offer. Only 386 days until my 21st birthday!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

hunter45 wrote:
As I mentioned in the VA forum, I'll be taking advantage of this offer. Only 386 days until my 21st birthday!
Good point!

You do NOT have to wait until your 21st birthday to take the course. There is no time limit/expiration on that qualification for a CHP.

Yata hey

hunter45

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
hunter45 wrote:
Good point!

You do NOT have to wait until your 21st birthday to take the course.  There is no time limit/expiration on that qualification for a CHP.

Yata hey

Yep, I want to have all the paper work and everything ready to go, so the very minute I wake up on my 21st birthday I can jump in my car and head to the clerk's office!

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

On a slightly related note, does anybody know the ins and outs of getting a resident permit as a part-time resident?

I have a fixed address in Virginia, a car I keep garaged there and pay registration on, etc. But I'm also a resident here in CA for much of the year.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

marshaul wrote:
On a slightly related note, does anybody know the ins and outs of getting a resident permit as a part-time resident?

I have a fixed address in Virginia, a car I keep garaged there and pay registration on, etc. But I'm also a resident here in CA for much of the year.
Cannot find a specific application in the statutes that relates to residency other than in § 18.2-308 - D

"There shall be no requirement regarding the length of time an applicant has been a resident or domiciliary of the county or city."
http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-308

Would seem to me that you might be able to go either way - apply for non-resident permit or resident. Now what happens to your resident permit/status when you go back to Ca. and vice versa, I can't answer.

Is there such a term as dual state residency as it applies to CHP? Not that I know about.

Best run this situation by an good pro-gun attorney, preferably in Va.
"User" on this forum may be able to help you.

Yata hey

Adam H

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Good point!

You do NOT have to wait until your 21st birthday to take the course. There is no time limit/expiration on that qualification for a CHP.

Yata hey
So, does that mean that if I took a hunter safety course here in NC close to 10 years ago, that I could still use it to get a nonresident permit from Va? According to the State Police, a hunter safety course does meet the training requirements for a permit.

As for why I would get a Va permit instead of an NC permit, if I can get a Va one with my hunter safety certificate, then I won't have to pay $75-$100 to take a course that NC accepts.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Adam H wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
So, does that mean that if I took a hunter safety course here in NC close to 10 years ago, that I could still use it to get a nonresident permit from Va? According to the State Police, a hunter safety course does meet the training requirements for a permit.

As for why I would get a Va permit instead of an NC permit, if I can get a Va one with my hunter safety certificate, then I won't have to pay $75-$100 to take a course that NC accepts.
If it meets any of these criteria (1-9), I would say yes.

§ 18.2-308 - G
G. The court shall require proof that the applicant has demonstrated competence with a handgun and the applicant may demonstrate such competence by one of the following, but no applicant shall be required to submit to any additional demonstration of competence, nor shall any proof of demonstrated competence expire:

1. Completing any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Department of Game and Inland Fisheries or a similar agency of another state;

2. Completing any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course;

3. Completing any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by a law-enforcement agency, junior college, college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association or the Department of Criminal Justice Services;

4. Completing any law-enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies, or any division or subdivision of law enforcement or security enforcement;

5. Presenting evidence of equivalent experience with a firearm through participation in organized shooting competition or current military service or proof of an honorable discharge from any branch of the armed services;

6. Obtaining or previously having held a license to carry a firearm in the Commonwealth or a locality thereof, unless such license has been revoked for cause;

7. Completing any firearms training or safety course or class, including an electronic, video, or on-line course, conducted by a state-certified or National Rifle Association-certified firearms instructor;

8. Completing any governmental police agency firearms training course and qualifying to carry a firearm in the course of normal police duties; or

9. Completing any other firearms training which the court deems adequate.

A photocopy of a certificate of completion of any of the courses or classes; an affidavit from the instructor, school, club, organization, or group that conducted or taught such course or class attesting to the completion of the course or class by the applicant; or a copy of any document which shows completion of the course or class or evidences participation in firearms competition shall constitute evidence of qualification under this subsection.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-308

Yata hey
[line]Edited to add: The thing I do not know is whether N.C. will accept a Va. non-resident permit from a resident of N.C. Best to check that out to be safe.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

From Students for Concealed Carry on Campus:

The Students for Concealed Carry on Campus Board of Directors is
pleased to announce that for all of empty holder protest week (Now -
April 10 @ 11:59 PM ET), there is an opportunity for anyone with a
.edu email address to obtain a FREE CHP TRAINING COURSE for Virginia.
Both residential and non-residential permits are available in
Virginia.

Online training is valid under Virginia law for a Virginia CHP permit
(VA Code §18.2-308 (G)(7) and (P1)(7)). Education and training are key
goals of SCCC. By making training available to students, faculty, and
staff on campus, we will further a goal shared by both sides of the
gun rights debate: to educate about the core safety aspects of
firearms and self-defense.

Here's what you do:
1) Visit: http://www.onlineconcealedcarry.com/

2) Register with a .edu email address

3) Use the following discount code: 923726

4) Finish the course before April 10 @ 11:59 PM ET.

Upon completion of the course, you will be given a printable
certificate of completion. Instructions on how to submit this
certificate to Virginia authorities is available at:
http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms.shtm . Please note that you will
be responsible for any state fee(s) and compliance with all legal
standards that Virginia requires.

A Virginia CHP permit is currently valid in AK, AR, AZ, DE, FL, ID,
IN, KY, LA, MI, MO, MS, MT, NC, ND, NE, NM, OH, OK, PA, SC, SD, TN,
TX, UT, VT, and WV. Please note however that currently Michigan (MI),
South Carolina (SC), and Florida (FL) only honor permits from
residents of the issuing states.

SCCC encourages you to spread word about this program far and wide.
Please, tell your friends on campus. Post this information on your
SCCC campus mailing lists. Post it on your campus SCCC Facebook
groups. Let's get the word out!

Let's make this empty holder protest week the best one yet!

Cheers,

The Board of Directors
Students for Concealed Carry on Campus

hunter45

imported post

marshaul wrote:
hunter45 wrote:
I just finished taking the course. Very simple, took about 45 minutes.
Did they charge your card? You had to give them a credit card number right?

My card was not charged. This is their reason why you must provide your credit card number:

What You Need
Our concealed carry qualification course Introduction to Pistol Safety is designed to be as accessible as possible. There are only a few requirements to take our course:

1. Payment – Payment must be made by credit card with the name on the card to match the name printed out on the certificate upon successful completion of the class. This is to ensure that the identity of the student is trackable by the state in which they live.