• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The last piece of official MOC communication on OCDO

autosurgeon

imported post

Steve that is not what it is saying. Please note that all information about events will still be posted where everyone can see them. For the time being anyway the forums are going to be closed to the general public. I would not say for sure that they will always be that way however first we have to get them set up and get moderation worked out as well as a host of other things that make a good forum work correctly.

Also I and I would imagine most other MOC members will continue to post here but instead of threads about each event we will link to them on our site. This is how they have been doing things in many other states for some time.

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

steve wrote:
So according to the post title, if you are not a paying member then you pretty much mean nothing to MOC?

Not trying to be an ass but reading the initial post and the title it seems as anyone not paying will receive no information on anything MOC related..

It's cool, I will stick here at OCDO, thanks for the warm welcome to the new forums.

+1

PS: Sending passwords in the clear on a non-encrypted email? super cool, guys.

autosurgeon

imported post

zigziggityzoo wrote:
steve wrote:
So according to the post title, if you are not a paying member then you pretty much mean nothing to MOC?

Not trying to be an ass but reading the initial post and the title it seems as anyone not paying will receive no information on anything MOC related..

It's cool, I will stick here at OCDO, thanks for the warm welcome to the new forums.

+1

And since you have to change it right away how is that a big deal?

Many email systems do just that when you request a password reset. Also good luck sniffing the packets while in route :lol:

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

autosurgeon wrote:
zigziggityzoo wrote:
steve wrote:

+1

Many email systems do just that when you request a password reset. Also good luck sniffing the packets while in route :lol:

I didn't have to change mine right away...

autosurgeon

imported post

zigziggityzoo wrote:
autosurgeon wrote:
zigziggityzoo wrote:
steve wrote:

+1

I didn't have to change mine right away...
Ok I realize now that you are talking about the forum and not the MOC email address. While I don't think it is really that much of a security risk.... if you do and others do go ahead and change your password.

I always change these passwords as I use a password generator program that I wrote.

This way I am the only person for sure that knows my passwords.

malignity

imported post

Can we register if we're not MOC members?
I sent in a request, and am a 'frequent flyer' here, and would like to at least have forum access if that's cool. I don't know if that's acceptable though. If I decide to join, I'd at least like to get the inside scoop.

Bronson

imported post

I receive email updates about services from AAA and I receive them because I am a paid member. Should they offer those same services and communications to everybody who is not a member?

I receive newsletters and updates from other organizations that I belong to because I am a paid member. Should they send those updates and newsletters to people who are not members?

Why on earth should any entitythat has a paid membership make available to non-members some of theperks thatthe paying members are paying for.

Bronson

DetroitBiker

imported post

Is there a link to pay for a MOC membership online? like through PayPal or something. I would like to have access to All the areas in the new Forum. I dont have a printer to copy and mail in a application. Thanks (DB)

autosurgeon

imported post

DetroitBiker wrote:
Is there a link to pay for a MOC membership online? like through PayPal or something. I would like to have access to All the areas in the new Forum. I dont have a printer to copy and mail in a application. Thanks (DB)
If you PM me your address I will mail you an application.

JeffSayers

Do you really wanna go there with me?, Michigan, U
imported post

steve wrote:

Steve:

Every Michigan Patriot is important to MOC. There is confidential information that we share with our members that we restrict access to. We make no apologies for this either.

I am glad you will continue to hang out here at OCDO, we want everyone to hang out here a nd keep contributing to this as well. Afterall, the seed of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. was sown by OCDO. And OCDO is a venue in which you can collaborate with patriots nationwide.

For those that are MOC members, we hope that you will enjoy the streamlined communication of your organization. For those that are not, I encourage you to consider joining today. It's not about forums, it's about having a unified voice to fight for our rights.

Some may be of the opinion that we don't have our act together, and that they would be wasting their money by joining MOC. I won't try to influence you, I will only say, WE WILL BE HERE WHEN YOU ARE READY!

viperar15

imported post

zigziggityzoo wrote:
steve wrote:

+1

ya know... how many forums use encryption? we dont have any PII data here. PII data will always be encrypted. and when we decide to spend money on a dedicated IP and SSL cert, then we'll flip the logins over to encryption... but until then..... ;-)

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

viperar15 wrote:
zigziggityzoo wrote:
steve wrote:

+1

ya know... how many forums use encryption? we dont have any PII data here. PII data will always be encrypted. and when we decide to spend money on a dedicated IP and SSL cert, then we'll flip the logins over to encryption... but until then..... ;-)

You don't need encryption if you just generally avoid printing passwords in cleartext in emails. That's probably one of my biggest pet peeves about websites.

Just saying.

But anyway, which part of the forum is for logged in members only? anywhere we can ask questions of the board? Anywhere where the board specifically sends announcements to the members, and posts meeting minutes, annual fiscal data, etc.?

viperar15

imported post

zigziggityzoo wrote:
viperar15 wrote:
zigziggityzoo wrote:
steve wrote:

+1

You don't need encryption if you just generally avoid printing passwords in cleartext in emails. That's probably one of my biggest pet peeves about websites.

Just saying.

But anyway, which part of the forum is for logged in members only? anywhere we can ask questions of the board? Anywhere where the board specifically sends announcements to the members, and posts meeting minutes, annual fiscal data, etc.?

there are some areas of the forums available as RO to non moc members. only MOC members can post and reply. there are some forums that are only available for viewing by MOC members also. which would include announcements, etc.

:)

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

zigziggityzoo wrote:
viperar15 wrote:
zigziggityzoo wrote:

Just saying.

there are some areas of the forums available as RO to non moc members. only MOC members can post and reply. there are some forums that are only available for viewing by MOC members also. which would include announcements, etc.

:)

I'm just wondering where these are. Because I see "General" OC Specific, OC Events, and Classifieds.

G

imported post

I'm in.

Woo Hoo!!!

:celebrate:monkey:celebrate:monkey:celebrate

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

steve wrote:

This is not that unusual. It's also an incentive to get people to join and help the cause. MCRGO's doesn't even have forum for members.

But I believe the plan is to have some areas open to the public and some for members only. MGO does this now.