• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The last piece of official MOC communication on OCDO

JeffSayers

Do you really wanna go there with me?, Michigan, U
imported post

As some of you may already be aware, I officially accepted the position of President on March 28th, 2010. It is a pleasure to announce that everything I have reviewed to date indicates that Michigan Open Carry is indeed a strong, solid organization. We have accomplished much in the ten months we have been in business. Of course, MOC and the patriots of Michigan owe a great deal to the efforts of John Pierce and Mike Stollenwork for creating a venue for us to band together, to collaborate and share our ideas, and to help fight the noble battle of protecting our rights.

There is much more to share with you about where MOC is at currently and where we have yet to go. Every paid member of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. will receive an email from ustomorrow with some important information. If you are a paid member of MOC and you do not receive this email, please email me directly at president@miopencarry.org

I now turn over the soap box to our new Director of Information Technology Shaun Crawford. Shaun is a dedicated and hard working volunteer for us. It has been through his efforts that many of the exciting things you will learn about today have been made possible.

viperar15

imported post

MOC Members:

I would first like to say that it is great to be working with everyone at MOC. We have all done soo much in the first year of MOC's existance. I have been here since before MOC was incorporated and have seen a lot of great work!

Since I have been with MOC as Dupty Director and now Director, I have been watching and listening to what the members are saying. This has been passed along to the Board and much talk about many different projects that relate right back to the IT world. In the coming days or weeks, IT itself will start providing members with updates as to what we are doing.

Project 1: MOC Forums
These are to be release and functional on Evening of Thursday, April 1, 2010. Now that I wrote that day, I am shooting myself in the foot.. what a day for a release! All MOC Paid Members will have access to the Forums. Please make sure to also continue posting on OCDO though! OCDO is where most of us came from and they are supporting the same cause as we are. The MOC Forums allows us to organize information a lot more and provide more to our members.

MOC Forum Registration Process:
Step 1) goto http://forums.michiganopencarry.org
Step 2) Click on "Register"
Step 3) Fill out the required information
Step 4) Read and re-read the Acceptable Use Policy
Step 5) Click "I Agree" at the bottom of the AUP and click "Register"
Step 6) IT will recieve your registration request and approve your account based on the MOC Membership list. After approval, you will recieve an email with your Forum Account Activation Link.

*** miopencarry.org email users -- We will automatically activate you and email you due to a minor problem with the domain.

The use of the MOC Forums is starting out as a trial. Make full use of it as per the AUP. If things get way out of hand and the moderators are unable to control the problems, MOC Board has made it clear that the Forums will be removed.

Project 2: Project Mangement System & IT Help Desk
This is a 2-for-1 Project. We are bringing up a system that will allow MOC and non-MOC members to be able to submit Tickets to IT in regards to Problems on the Forums, Web Site, Logging in, etc. This is so that problems and projects can be tracked. This will also allow the submitter to recieve quick and easy updates on their problems, concerns, or questions. To start with, it will be for IT related use only.

The second part to this project is a Project Tracking System, which will incorporate into the new Web Site we are currently building. All projects will have a Ticket associated with the Project. This information will be available to members by logging into the MOC WebSite. It will also allow the Board easy access to updates and see where projects are going. It will also be used for MOC Board Projects and presented as such also.

Project 3: Membership Information System
After much review of systems, we are building our own Membership Information System (MIS). This will hold your membership information, registration date, renewal date, etc. It will be secured and encrypted so that information is not readily available to anyone. You, as an MOC Member, will also be able to log into the system and update your email, address, and phone number.

Project 4: Email Alert System
This is another 2 part project. The first part is a communication system so that all MOC Members all get emails from the Board, Leadership, and/or IT. This will provide a way so that we know everyone recieves the email rather then everyone's email addresses floating around from Board member to Board member.

The second part to this is an Alert System, that anyone (MOC Members, Politicians, non-MOC Members) can sign up for. This will be used for Urgent and/or Important Alerts and Updates that may or may not be MOC related, but would be related to the 2nd Amendment in some form.

Project 5: MOC Website
We are doing a complete over-haul of the MOC Website. At the current site, you can see a login box, which IT uses at the moment. On the new website, it will be used by MOC Members to be able to access Member Only Information, which will include Projects and their current status, Board Meeting Minutes, and other MOC related information. You will be able to access the MIS system from here also.

We also have several more projects on the books on top of all that was just listed. Theme to setup forums to look like new website, Video/Audio Upload for MOC Members, Membership Renewal Notification system, miopencarry.org email for MOC Members, Businesses having ability to update their own business information and to list themselves as OC friendly (or remove themselves), and more as more ideas are suggested!

If you have any questions, concerns, or comments... you can always contact IT at it@miopencarry.org or the Board at board@miopencarry.org.

Thank you,
Shaun Crawford
MOC IT Director

sevenplusone

imported post

As somebody who is not currently a paid member, canI ask if sections of MOC discussing upcoming events and whatnot will at least be read-only for non-members. I'd like to keep track of that sort of thing as it is very difficult to do so on this site. We don't have nearly as many events on the west side and I'd like to keep track of the ones we do have.

G

imported post

sevenplusone wrote:
As somebody who is not currently a paid member, canI ask if sections of MOC discussing upcoming events and whatnot will at least be read-only for non-members. I'd like to keep track of that sort of thing as it is very difficult to do so on this site. We don't have nearly as many events on the west side and I'd like to keep track of the ones we do have.
"All MOC Paid Members will have access to the Forums."

[line]Watch for the UFO.

G

imported post

stainless1911 wrote:
When I clicked the link above, instead of taking me to a page to register, agree, and so forth, it took me to the OCDO michigan forums. So, Im confused, what do I do?
"These are to be release and functional on Evening of Thursday, April 1, 2010."

[line]Watch for the UFO.

wally1120

imported post

viperar15 wrote:
Non-Members will have RO access to certain areas (Events is one of them)

As far as where the link goes... its not Thursday Evening yet... :p
Events being a RO for non members is BS, I don`t have the money to afford a Membership, And not really sure I would want to throw away 20 bucks for this site.

If the Events thread/ETC are going to be a RO/Blocked from Non-Members, I am going to give this site up. And OCDO/MOC is going to take a big hit right in the pants.

wally1120

imported post

fozzy71 wrote:
Why not just have normal forums with some private member's only sub-forums?
You haven`t been here long enough to see how stupid this site is ran, The ones in charge of OCDO/MOC dosen`t think ANYTHING thru completely. And that is why I have a feeling I am not going to even bother with OCDO/MOC anymore. I feel paying 20 bucks isn`t worth it, And just throwing money away.

G

imported post

zigziggityzoo wrote:
As a paid member, I find that restricting the forum to paid members only is stupid.

It's a proverbial case of shooting ourselves in the foot.
With one of those unsafe Glocks that don't even have a safety. :p

[line]Watch for the UFO.

stainless1911

Banned
imported post

CV67PAT wrote:
stainless1911 wrote:
When I clicked the link above, instead of taking me to a page to register, agree, and so forth, it took me to the OCDO michigan forums. So, Im confused, what do I do?
"These are to be release and functional on Evening of Thursday, April 1, 2010."

[line]
Watch for the UFO.
OK, thanks, I thought maybe we could sign up today, to be ready to go on thursday afternoon.

steve

imported post

So according to the post title, if you are not a paying member then you pretty much mean nothing to MOC?

Not trying to be an ass but reading the initial post and the title it seems as anyone not paying will receive no information on anything MOC related..

It's cool, I will stick here at OCDO, thanks for the warm welcome to the new forums.