• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Protesting HB 1217... yes, really

TFred

imported post

Taken from today's VA-ALERT, an article (#6) talking about the dwindling number of anti-gun groups banding together in a last ditch effort to persuade Governor McDonnell to veto 3 good bills that survived the Senate this year.

Many of you will recall HB 1217, which in short: "Allows local school boards to offer firearm safety education programs in the elementary grades."

How can one protest such a bill? Surely you would want kids to learn to be safe with guns, no?

Not these crazy folks... from the article:

...HB 1217 requires the Virginia Board of Education to establish a standardized program of gun safety education for students in elementary school.

With respect to this last bill, the coalition referred to "numerous" studies that demonstrate that familiarizing children with guns makes them more likely to handle firearms when adults are not present.
Funny... I seem to recall that the liberals deny this very same line of reasoning often given in protest of mandatory sex education in elementary schools. How convenient that the kids only behave in ways that support the liberal agenda.

TFred

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

That's fairly amusing...

My mother, who is only moderately pro-gun (and that thanks to a lot of dedicated work on my part), got an email from her local Democratic Women's organization, who were hysterical that we were going to be "indoctrinating" youth with gun safety (alongside the driver's ed we also "indoctrinate" them with :quirky).

She called me up to tell me about it, and her reaction was "WTF? How can education ever be a bad thing? What are these people thinking?"

I've given her basic gun safety instruction, which she says she appreciated immensely (even though she doesn't shoot and is rather lukewarm about the idea of herself having a gun). Now, it may be that this knowledge has enabled her to see the absolute error in their thinking, but I think it's something more.

I think we've finally reached a critical point. The Brady types have driven themselves so far to the fringe of lunacy, that even people who once supported them take one look and say "WTF?".

I mean, seriously. Of all the laws you could possibly oppose. :quirky

Just what are they thinking?

Even if you dislike guns, you should have no problem seeing the value in simple gun safety education.

TFred

imported post

marshaul wrote:
Even if you dislike guns, you should have no problem seeing the value in simple gun safety education.
Of course what they truly fear is that once kids learn that guns are not inherently evil, that stigma and fear are gone, and they will forever lose them as illogical-thinking anti-gun zealots.

TFred

fully_armed_biker

imported post

TFred wrote:
Taken from today's VA-ALERT, an article (#6) talking about the dwindling number of anti-gun groups banding together in a last ditch effort to persuade Governor McDonnell to veto 3 good bills that survived the Senate this year.

Many of you will recall HB 1217, which in short: "Allows local school boards to offer firearm safety education programs in the elementary grades."

How can one protest such a bill? Surely you would want kids to learn to be safe with guns, no?

Not these crazy folks... from the article:

...HB 1217 requires the Virginia Board of Education to establish a standardized program of gun safety education for students in elementary school.

With respect to this last bill, the coalition referred to "numerous" studies that demonstrate that familiarizing children with guns makes them more likely to handle firearms when adults are not present.
Funny... I seem to recall that the liberals deny this very same line of reasoning often given in protest of mandatory sex education in elementary schools. How convenient that the kids only behave in ways that support the liberal agenda.

TFred

I love the analogy. Teaching children about gun safety is going to make them more curious and more likely to handle guns; yet, sex education isn't going to make children more curious and more likely to have sex? C'mon...even a moron can see hypocrisy.

On a personal note...the first thing my wife and I did after getting our first gun, was to get a second gun.A .22 that our daughter...10 years old at the time...could shoot. We taught her gun safety, we talked openly about them and where they are in the house,we've taken her to the range on many occasions, and she's joined us at several OC dinners.

They're real fear is that if we teach children about guns and gun safety, they won't grow up to be afraid of them and the Brady Bunch will lose an entire generation of antis! :cuss:

wylde007

imported post

fully_armed_biker wrote:
On a personal note...the first thing my wife and I did after getting our first gun, was to get a second gun.A .22 that our daughter... 10 years old at the time... could shoot.
As soon as mine is old enough, I will be doing the same. It is never too early to teach responsibility and firearms are a great way to ingrain that in a young child.

I was at the range about a month ago and what appeared to be a grandfather-father-son in the booth next to me was shooting a target .22. The son couldn't have been more than 9 or 10.

And I was embarrassed to be shooting next to him. He was putting four and five fist-sized shot groups on his targets.

At 10 years old! Bully on 'im!

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

I have been anxiously watching this bill and am excited about it.

In the past, I offered to donate a gift certificate for a gun safety class to our local elementary school's Harvest Social auction. I was turned down because "the PTA does not accept gifts from companies involved in the manufacture or sales of guns, alcohol, or tobacco products". Odd that when the school does its monthly "family fun night" at local restaurants like Chucky Cheese, Fuddruckers, et al, a portion of the night's proceeds are donated to the school (hint - those places sell beer). Also, last time I checked, I dont manufacture or sell guns. I pushed the rock as far up that hill as I could, and got nowhere.

I also emailed the Henrico County School admin and offered a FREE gun safety class for teachers. They are, after all the ones who would be handling a firearm that is taken from the student who brings it to school. That offer fell on deaf ears.

wylde007

imported post

ProShooter wrote:
I also emailed the Henrico County School admin and offered a FREE gun safety class for teachers. They are, after all the ones who would be handling a firearm that is taken from the student who brings it to school. That offer fell on deaf ears.
Ah, the old "See no evil, hear no evil" response.

Classy.

The Donkey

imported post

marshaul wrote:
That's fairly amusing...

My mother, who is only moderately pro-gun (and that thanks to a lot of dedicated work on my part), got an email from her local Democratic Women's organization, who were hysterical that we were going to be "indoctrinating" youth with gun safety (alongside the driver's ed we also "indoctrinate" them with :quirky).

She called me up to tell me about it, and her reaction was "WTF? How can education ever be a bad thing? What are these people thinking?"

I've given her basic gun safety instruction, which she says she appreciated immensely (even though she doesn't shoot and is rather lukewarm about the idea of herself having a gun). Now, it may be that this knowledge has enabled her to see the absolute error in their thinking, but I think it's something more.

I think we've finally reached a critical point. The Brady types have driven themselves so far to the fringe of lunacy, that even people who once supported them take one look and say "WTF?".

I mean, seriously. Of all the laws you could possibly oppose. :quirky

Just what are they thinking?

Let me know if there is a Virginia Democratic organization involved with this, and I will happily darken their doors. . . .

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator

The Donkey

imported post

Marsden is the formerdirector of a juvenile facilty: I would think the program would make alot of sense to him.

I'll ask him about it and let you know what he says.

Ric in Richmond

imported post

Far as I am concerned they have taken the same approach with drivers ed. NO ONE KNOWS HOW TO.

We are dealing with mentally unbalanced people who place FEELINGS over THINKING. There is no logic with them.

wylde007

imported post

Ric in Richmond wrote:
Far as I am concerned they have taken the same approach with drivers ed. NO ONE KNOWS HOW TO.
I learned how. You want to know my secret? My parents taught me. What a concept, eh?

We are dealing with mentally unbalanced people who place FEELINGS over THINKING. There is no logic with them.
Mentally unbalanced. Various states of denial. Heads in the sand. Etc.

Fear rules their lives. Fear of other people doing things they are afraid they would do if given the chance. Projection.