• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

LTE: "Deliver me from guns--and their owners!"

TFred

imported post

I can't even start to respond to this letter. It is rather appropriate that it appears in the April Fool's edition of the paper...

TFred

http://fredericksburg.com/News/FLS/2010/042010/04012010/534991

Deliver me from guns--and their owners!
Date published: 4/1/2010

Much of the time when I am on fredericksburg.com and comment on handgun control, I get angry responses from people who misunderstand the Second Amendment.

First, the Second Amendment mentions a militia, which today has been replaced by the National Guard. So it doesn't include handguns. Trust me, the federal government has enough firepower behind it that if it wanted to take over somebody's home, a handgun isn't going to do the trick.

Second, handgun owners irrationally equate owning a gun with freedom, when the opposite is true. I have the right to be free from someone who has a gun in his possession. The opposite is not true. I want to protect my family from people with arms, not arm them.

Third, I have been reading this paper for 16 years now, and I've never seen a headline stating "Innocent Person Protected by Handgun." I do see stories about people getting killed by them though, like that poor soul killed recently for having his house dirty.

Finally, a lot of people believe law-abiding citizens own guns. If you ask me, the easiest way for a law-abiding citizen to become a criminal is to carry a gun; ask Gilbert Arenas.

The Supreme Court voted 5-4 to void D.C.'s gun law. Let's hope we get the final justice soon to protect us from irrational NRA gun-loving zealots. (I can see the anger coming now on Freder icksburg.com. I am glad I have tough skin.)

Patrick Victor
Fredericksburg

Editor's note: In District of Columbia v. Heller, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that the Second Amendment applies to an individual's right to bear arms.

vt800c

imported post

ProShooter wrote:
TFred wrote:
I can't even start to respond to this letter.
To: Mr Patrick Victor
You sir, are an idiot.
With warmest regards.....
How's that?

While it's what we honestly feel, I think namecalling fails to illustrate the point we need to get across. we should comment on each section logically, such that he knows we are capable of providing an honest, and well thought out arguement. (doing this will make a liberal's head explode, as they consider anyone not as liberal as they are to be knuckle-dragging booger-hookers.)

Much of the time when I am on fredericksburg.com and comment on handgun control, I get angry responses from people who misunderstand the Second Amendment. (Maybe it's because you are attacking something people believe strongly about, similar to gay marrage, abortion and Obama's leadership abilities)

First, the Second Amendment mentions a militia, which today has been replaced by the National Guard. (But a militia is defined as every able-bodied American, and as I don't have a handicapped sticker on my car, that qualifies me.) So it doesn't include handguns. (but it doesn't explictly exclude them, which by US laws, means they are allowed.)Trust me, (Why? because you tell me to? how about you trust ME with my firearms?)the federal government has enough firepower behind it that if it wanted to take over somebody's home, a handgun isn't going to do the trick. (They wouldn't use a handgun. They'd use a 1000 lb JDAM with a laser seeking head, as well as a Global Hawk aircraft with FLIR to monitor the effect for damage assessment)

Second, handgun owners irrationally equate owning a gun with freedom, when the opposite is true. (You are correct there. I had to buy my handguns. the only onesI know who get them for free are the thugs who steal and walk the streets at night.) I have the right to be free from someone who has a gun in his possession. (But you are saying that I do NOT have the right to possess what I legally can.)The opposite is not true. I want to protect my family from people with arms, not arm them. (Please tell me how you, as an unarmed man, will protect your family from someone who is armed and intent on doing them harm? I'd be interested in knowing HOW you would do that. And does the rest of your family know what they are supposed to do? Your wife? Your daughters?)

Third, I have been reading this paper for 16 years now, (Considering that you started reading about the age of 3 or 4, that means you're what...19? 20?someday when you grow up and move out from Mommie's basement, you will learn about the real world. And He eho made kittens put snakes in the grass.)and I've never seen a headline stating "Innocent Person Protected by Handgun." (I suggest you look up in the Richmond times the article about how an armed citizen prevented a store robbery just last year. I can also point you to a few websites filled with stories exactly about that topic!) I do see stories about people getting killed by them though, like that poor soul killed recently for having his house dirty. (And who killed him? I'm sure it wasn't his mommie.)

Finally, a lot of people believe law-abiding citizens own guns. (We do. I am not a criminal.) If you ask me (We didn't. You started this with your letter.), the easiest way for a law-abiding citizen to become a criminal is to carry a gun (No, to become a criminal, you must break the law. any other way is much harder!); ask Gilbert Arenas (No need. He broke several laws that apply to the DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA. Such as brandishing a firearm, threatening bodily injury, and not complying with the laws oof DC that says the only place you can have a firearm is in your home, at a range, or being transported directly between those twoplaces.)

The Supreme Court voted 5-4 to void D.C.'s gun law. (No..only parts of the DC laws...that is why Arenas was arrested) Let's hope we get the final justice soon to protect us from irrational NRA gun-loving zealots. (But let's also hope they support and defend the constution, which says that anyone can own a firearm. And be careful. they havent yet protected us from the abortion rights zealots, or the gay marrage zealots...) (I can see the anger coming now on Freder icksburg.com. I am glad I have tough skin. (if it's tough, why are you afraid of firearms? won't they just 'bounce off'?))

I apologize for it being so long...but I wanted to say it. TYVM

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

vt800c wrote:
ProShooter wrote:
TFred wrote:
I can't even start to respond to this letter.
To: Mr Patrick Victor
You sir, are an idiot.
With warmest regards.....
How's that?

While it's what we honestly feel, I think namecalling fails to illustrate the point we need to get across. we should comment on each section logically, such that he knows we are capable of providing an honest, and well thought out arguement. (doing this will make a liberal's head explode, as they consider anyone not as liberal as they are to be knuckle-dragging booger-hookers.)

I agree with your assessment completely, but I sure felt better with my response. Of course, name calling doesn't further the cause but sometimes you just get so frustrated at the Kool-aid drinkers that you say what needs to be said.

The problem with anti-gunners is that logic makes no sense to them. They will never be convinced that their position is untenable. They hold true to what the media tells them and believe it to be gospel. They aren't interested in facts or numbers, only their jaded opinions. Their anti-gun argumentsare not based on rational thought, but rather their feelings or worse, what someone tells themtheir feelings should be. In the truest sense of the definition of idiot (an utterly foolish or senseless person), they are just that. Someone who looks facts and reason and logic in the face and thumbs their nose at it.

riverrat10k

imported post

Patrick Victor: Help me, help! I'm being attacked! Shoot him! Shoot him!

LAC: Sorry, my gun is for my personal protection. Good luck with that bad guy.

Sadly, the above scenario is the only one that might change his mind.

vt800c

imported post

this is what I should have as a brick in the front of my house. Make them guess WHICH neighbor!

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

riverrat10k wrote:
Patrick Victor: Help me, help! I'm being attacked! Shoot him! Shoot him!

LAC: Sorry, my gun is for my personal protection. Good luck with that bad guy.

Sadly, the above scenario is the only one that might change his mind.
If nothing else, it would help to thin the weak herd.

TFred

imported post

Well that letter has generated a ton of comments. Just FYI, the letter writer posts on the FLS web site under the user name "patrick4hp". Since someone here mentioned it and only because it may possibly come up in a posted comment, Mr. Victor has no wife, and has chosen to not likely ever have a wife.

As noted, facts mean nothing to this man. Despite overwhelming evidence (The Heller opinion should be required reading in our history classes), Mr. Patrick blindly asserts that the 2A does not provide for individual ownership of handguns.

You can't reason with that. It is quite literally: :banghead:

TFred

vt800c

imported post

TFred wrote:
...Mr. Victor has no wife, and has chosen to not likely ever have a wife....

and women throughout the world were heard rejoysing.

I woner if we can hook him up with Nancy Pilosi, peferrably with ankle chains and a heavy weight...

then take them swimming.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Mr. Victor is a classic hoplophobic who suffers from symptoms of transference.

Morbid fear of guns and he would fault others for what he fears he might do.

Yata hey

0313oorah

imported post

Since you dont have a wife maybe imagine someone was trying to kill your boyfriend how would you stop it. People like you are just cowards, more than likely its because you come from a long line of draft dodgers, hippies, or kitty cats. You have the right to your opinion which means I have the right to bare arms. I served and defended my country did you? Nope you just sat back and protested right? Well in my opinion you dont have the right to have an opinion if you are not willing to fight for it. Guess you better hope they dont ban hybrids or tofu. I Pity You and hope One Day You Eat Your Words! Semper-Fi USMC:celebrate

-The Only Ones Against a Weapon Are The Uneducated and Non Patriots-

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

0313oorah wrote:
Since you dont have a wife maybe imagine someone was trying to kill your boyfriend how would you stop it. People like you are just cowards, more than likely its because you come from a long line of draft dodgers, hippies, or kitty cats. You have the right to your opinion which means I have the right to bare arms. I served and defended my country did you? Nope you just sat back and protested right? Well in my opinion you dont have the right to have an opinion if you are not willing to fight for it. Guess you better hope they dont ban hybrids or tofu. I Pity You and hope One Day You Eat Your Words! Semper-Fi USMC:celebrate

-The Only Ones Against a Weapon Are The Uneducated and Non Patriots-
Thanks for your service Marine - it is appreciated.

One of our strong points here is our restraint and decorum. We do not unduly insult people or otherwise speak derogatorily to them - we leave that to the antis.

All people have the right to opinions, to thoughts. I do not even care if they chose to exercise their 2nd Amend. rights or not - their choice.

Please keep your enthusiasm, but polish up your brass a bit. :)

Yata hey

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Please keep your enthusiasm, but polish up your brass a bit. :)

Yata hey

A little light reading may not hurt either....

200px-Elements_of_Style_cover.jpg