Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leader-Telegram - 'Open carry' event with holstered handguns planned for June 13 (Seymour, WI)

Moderator / Administrator

Post imported post

http://www.leadertelegram.com/news/f...f4dc3298b.html

SNIP

Picnickers will pack heat at 'open carry' event
    'Open carry' event with holstered handguns planned for June 13

Posted: Thursday, April 1, 2010 12:00 am

By Christena T. O'Brien Leader-Telegram staff | 0comments

Brats, beverages and bullets will be served at an "open carry" picnic planned this summer in the Eau Claire County town of Seymour, where adults can exercise their right to carry an armed, holstered handgun.

"Why do this?" asked David "Ole" Olson, who organized similar picnics in Glenwood City and Hudson. "The bottom line is ... to educate legislators, law enforcement and the general public."

Post imported post

The page you've requested is available only to premium content subscribers.

Post imported post

DAMN!!! Word travels fast!!

Myself (Tony) and BROKENSPROKET (Greg) are hosting this event. We spoke at the town hall Tuesday, March 30th about this! The article in this paper has a very eye catching title, Greg thinks is is a negative title. But...after reading the article, it is very positive one!

I must thank the help that Greg and I have been getting. firebolt357 (Dave, 'Ole'), Hubert, metalman383 (Dan) and of course WCI. Sorry if I am forgetting someone, it is not intentional, I don't have all the details.

We are looking for any and all the help we can get! Anyone in the Chippewa Falls/Eau Claire area willing to offer any help, please PM or email me or BROKENSPROKET. We have been planning for about 3 weeks and the more help, the less each person needs to do. In turn making this easier on all!

More information about the event and who is invited and attending as those details happen!

Thanks again to those that have helped so far and those who will be helping in the future!

Tony

Wisconsin Carry Inc - Founders Club Member
    NRA - Life Member
    3rd generation US Air Force Veteran

Post imported post

mark edward marchiafava wrote:
    At what type of location will this event occur ?
    A town park just a few miles outside city limites of Eau Claire with a playground, tennis court, bb court, sand volleyball court, and several baseball fields.

Post imported post

Here is the full article that was in the April 1, 2010 edition of the Eau Claire Leader-Telegram.

I hope like hell the tommorrow edition does not retract the story stating it was an April Fools joke. If it is, then I have to assume my exwife is getting me back for the time I had an LEO come to the front door to inform her that I had died in a fatal car accident, just to walk in the back door 3 minutes later. I did not sleep for 3 days for fear that she would kill me herself.

Post imported post

Mike, John

Can I get this stickied. For some reason (MOVED) it cannot get bumped. It just keeps falling and says ZERO replies when it is viewed from the Wisconsin forum.

Moderator / Administrator

Post imported post

BROKENSPROKET wrote:
    Mike, John

Can I get this stickied. For some reason (MOVED) it cannot get bumped. It just keeps falling and says ZERO replies when it is viewed from the Wisconsin forum.
    It will stay on the main page for a few days then fall back to Wisconsin forum, don;t worry

Post imported post

What a great article. Sounds like some real progress is being made in the Eau Claire area!

Post imported post

Very positive article!

Post imported post

We sure are trying! I was at a local Friends of the NRA banquet on the 1st and it is amazing how many "gun people" have no clue that you can open carry. Hell, most of them do not know or understand many of the gun laws we have.

Unfortunately, the hotel denied us permission to carry at the event. They had a bar in the banquet hall so I had to ask for permission. The hotel told me the NRA stated that we couldn't carry. I questioned all the NRA folks at the event and they said that they would never deny me the right to exercise my 2nd amendment rights. I went back to the hotel management the next day and found out that they lied to me and the hotel was the one that denied the right to carry.

The hotel was the "Plaza" in Eau Claire.

Wisconsin Carry Inc - Founders Club Member
    NRA - Life Member
    3rd generation US Air Force Veteran

Post imported post

goforlow wrote:

Unfortunately, the hotel denied us permission to carry at the event. They had a bar in the banquet hall so I had to ask for permission. The hotel told me the NRA stated that we couldn't carry. I questioned all the NRA folks at the event and they said that they would never deny me the right to exercise my 2nd amendment rights. I went back to the hotel management the next day and found out that they lied to me and the hotel was the one that denied the right to carry.

The hotel was the "Plaza" in Eau Claire.

That’s funny; not funny HA HA but funny odd.

I was at the Plaza the Saturday before the Friends of the NRA event for the 3rd District GOP caucus for 7 hours OC’ing and not a word from the management; or staffers.

I didn’t have the same constraints as goforlowbecause there wasn’t any alcohol being served in the halls that we were in; so I didn’t bother to ask for permission. I seldom do; just ask my wife.

But the fact that I’m on the backside of 50; I made more than my share of trips to the little buckaroos room walking past the front desk MANY times; not an eyebrow raised.
    If you fail to:
    Know your rights;
    Exercise your Liberty;
    and Teach Freedom;
    You are sure to lose it all.

Carry on; Carry Always

WCI Founders Club Member
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Wisconsin Carry, Inc. Wisconsin Carry, Inc. - Chairman's Avatar

Post imported post

We'll get this out to membership right away! Will be great to see huge numbers turnout!
    www.wisconsincarry.org Wisconsin Carry, Inc. is not affiliated with opencarry.org or these web forums. Questions about discussion forum policy or forum moderation should be directed to the owners of opencarry.org not Wisconsin Carry, Inc.

Regular Member paul@paul-fisher.com's Avatar

Post imported post

Fireball357 wrote:
    I was at the Plaza the Saturday before the Friends of the NRA event for the 3rd District GOP caucus for 7 hours OC’ing and not a word from the management; or staffers.
    This brings up a good question. If the hotel has a class B liquor license, do we not legally have to ask for permission to OC even into the lobby?

Post imported post

count me an the wife in, i still have some vaction time left, an the wife said if i behave my self i can go outside an play!! ha, ha, do you by change have a list of motels, hotels around there, that are cost effected..

Founder's Club Member bnhcomputing's Avatar

Post imported post

paul@paul-fisher.com wrote:
    This brings up a good question. If the hotel has a class B liquor license, do we not legally have to ask for permission to OC even into the lobby?
    No, the bar part only.

941.237 Carrying handgun where alcohol beverages may be sold and consumed.

941.237(2) (2) Whoever intentionally goes armed with a handgun on any premises for which a Class "B" or "Class B" license or permit has been issued under ch. 125 is guilty of a Class A misdemeanor.

941.237(3) (3) Subsection (2) does not apply to any of the following:

941.237(3)(i) (i) The possession of a handgun in any portion of a hotel other than the portion of the hotel that is a tavern.
    Emphasis mine

Regular Member paul@paul-fisher.com's Avatar

Post imported post

Once again picking nits but it says tavern, so, a banquet room that serves booze? Is that a tavern?

Post imported post

paul@paul-fisher.com wrote:
    Once again picking nits but it says tavern, so, a banquet room that serves booze? Is that a tavern?
    Now this is a different question altogether. In my opinion (not legal advice) the banquet room would be restricted and prior permission would be required.

But this does take us off this thread topic of the upcoming event in Eau Claire, so maybe a new thread should be started for this hotel/bar discussion.

Post imported post

NO ALCOHOL at the Open Carry Picnic.

This Class B Licsense topic should have its owm thread. CAn 0Someonestart it so I can get this thread back ON TOPIC.

Post imported post

Not sure, but I think I can make it.
    What part of "shall not be infringed" don't you understand?

Post imported post

No idea what will be going on around this time for me, but I will probably try to make it. It's not that far of a drive. Maybe I could even bring my fiance and we could go to the picnic then do some shopping at the mall.
    Logan - Laugh lots, Love Often, and Defend the Irreplaceable
    Walther PPS 9mm, Ruger LCP
    CC permits: MN, FL, NH, PA and CO

Member of:
    Wisconsin Carry, Inc., Rocky Mountain Gun Owners, and National Rifle Association

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Nice article... way to go guys!

Post imported post

yes, great article, indeed.

great to see you 2 at the Tea Party in EC today. ready & willing to help for the Seymour OC Picnic. like i said, hollar when you're ready
    Find me on Facebook. I am Defiance Personal Protection.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Def...386781?sk=wall

McX

Post imported post

absolutely loved the clip in the article from the sheriff regarding using the restrooms, at city hall, during the picnic: THESE ARE RESPONSIBLE GUN OWNERS! finally a ray of sunshine!

Post imported post

I ran into a guy that had an XD45 on his hip. After We talked for awhile, I printed mine so he knew I carried as well. . He told me he was organizing this picnic. He ran to his car and got me a pamphlet and that is how I got here.

I will be there, but I CCW everywhere I go. All the places you OC'ers CANNOT.

This is my first post, so.... HELLO EVERYONE.

Post imported post

QuikDrawMcGraw wrote:
    I ran into a guy that had an XD45 on his hip. After We talked for awhile, I printed mine so he knew I carried as well. . He told me he was organizing this picnic. He ran to his car and got me a pamphlet and that is how I got here.

I will be there, but I CCW everywhere I go. All the places you OC'ers CANNOT.

This is my first post, so.... HELLO EVERYONE.
    First, let me say WELCOME!!! Glad you could join the forum.

Second, let me remind you that there are literally thousands of pages printed from these very forums submitted as EVIDENCE in ongoing lawsuits.

Why did I mention that? Because unless you met in another state or are one of a select few citizens (LEO or retired LEO) you have just confessed to committing a crime, as concealed carry is illegal in WI.

Anyway, welcome to the forum. I have sent you a PM welcome as well.

Read Up, Load Up, Holster Up, and Carry On!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast