• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Leader-Telegram - 'Open carry' event with holstered handguns planned for June 13 (Seymour, WI)

logan

Campaign Veteran
imported post

No idea what will be going on around this time for me, but I will probably try to make it. It's not that far of a drive. Maybe I could even bring my fiance and we could go to the picnic then do some shopping at the mall.

M

McX

imported post

absolutely loved the clip in the article from the sheriff regarding using the restrooms, at city hall, during the picnic: THESE ARE RESPONSIBLE GUN OWNERS! finally a ray of sunshine!:cool:

BROKENSPROKET

imported post

I ran into a guy that had an XD45 on his hip. After We talked for awhile, I printed mine so he knew I carried as well. . He told me he was organizing this picnic. He ran to his car and got me a pamphlet and that is how I got here.

I will be there, but I CCW everywhere I go. All the places you OC'ers CANNOT.

This is my first post, so.... HELLO EVERYONE.

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

QuikDrawMcGraw wrote:
I ran into a guy that had an XD45 on his hip. After We talked for awhile, I printed mine so he knew I carried as well. . He told me he was organizing this picnic. He ran to his car and got me a pamphlet and that is how I got here.

First, let me say WELCOME!!! Glad you could join the forum.

Second, let me remind you that there are literally thousands of pages printed from these very forums submitted as EVIDENCE in ongoing lawsuits.

Why did I mention that? Because unless you met in another state or are one of a select few citizens (LEO or retired LEO) you have just confessed to committing a crime, as concealed carry is illegal in WI.

Anyway, welcome to the forum. I have sent you a PM welcome as well.

Read Up, Load Up, Holster Up, and Carry On!

BROKENSPROKET

imported post

bnhcomputing wrote:
QuikDrawMcGraw wrote:

Second, let me remind you that there are literally thousands of pages printed from these very forums submitted as EVIDENCE in ongoing lawsuits.

Why did I mention that? Because unless you met in another state or are one of a select few citizens (LEO or retired LEO) you have just confessed to committing a crime, as concealed carry is illegal in WI.

Thank You for the welcome. I read your PM.

I am not the least bit concerned about getting convictedof CCW. Infact, I would rather like that, but it is hard to find any agencies that will even make the arrest after the Hamdan decision. I would like to get arrested, hire a really bad lawyer to lose the case, then I would hire a really good lawyer to appeal it ot a higher court.

The higher court told legislature to fix the statute OR they would throw it out.To this day, I have seen no action to do so.

From what I read of Wisconsin Carry Inc., they believe that "Open Carry" and "Conceal Carry" are choices to be made of law-abiding citizens based on what suits them best. IF that were true, wouldn't Wisconsin Carry Inc. find a dozen people that were convicted of CCW and file a lawsuit? The higher court said they would throw the statute out, so what are you waiting for?

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

QuikDrawMcGraw wrote:
From what I read of Wisconsin Carry Inc., they believe that "Open Carry" and "Conceal Carry" are choices to be made of law-abiding citizens based on what suits them best. IF that were true, wouldn't Wisconsin Carry Inc. find a dozen people that were convicted of CCW and file a lawsuit? The higher court said they would throw the statute out, so what are you waiting for?
You are correct, Wisconsin Carry, Inc. advocates for both "open carry", which is legal, and we WANT "concealed carry" to be legal also. We would prefer an Alaska/Arizona type concealed carry were you would only choose to get the permit IF you wanted to carry in another state like MN or MI.

The suggestion that "a dozen people" get "convicted" of a crime in and of itself would promote/condone violating the law. Wisconsin Carry, Inc. does not and will not condone violating the law at this time. That's not to say it won't come to that, but we would prefer to work through the civil rather than criminal courts.

I would appreciate a cite to where the higher court, "said they would throw the statute out," as I personally haven't seen such a statement.

As a personal observation (not WCI) "open carry" is a much better deterrent than concealed carry. With concealed, the crime has already happened and now we must decide how/when/if to react. With only 2-3% of the general public having CCW permits, the criminals know they have a 97% chance you aren't armed.

See this thread: http://www.usacarry.com/forums/open-carry-discussion/7230-open-carry-argument.html

I think it addresses the advantages of OC quite well.

Again, WELCOME, and carry on.

Wisconsin Carry Inc. - Chairman

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

The short answer to your question is that if WCI felt we had a reasonable chance of winning that case we would file a lawsuit.

Our legal counsel could probably provide a better cited response but here is my take on it:

You claim the wssc already said they would "throw the statute out".

Can you provide a citation?

In State of Wisconsin v. Philip Cole, WI 112, 665 N.W. 2d 328 (2003), the defendant was convicted of violating statute section 941.23, because police found two concealed weapons in a car in which he was riding. Cole appealed his conviction, arguing that his constitutional right to keep and bear arms had been violated. The court upheld his conviction, concluding that although Article I, Section 25 created a fundamental right,that right is still subject to reasonable restriction.

The Hamdan decision was a much more limited one (in my plebeian understanding of the ruling)

The court went on to state that a Wisconsin resident has the right to carry a concealed weapon on his or her own property, business or home, when: 1) the need to exercise this right is significant, 2) the person has no other reasonable means to keep and handle the weapon, and 3) the person was not motivated by any unlawful purpose in concealing the weapon.

Given the unlikelihood of winning a case as you suggest, I don't think it would be a good use of the monetary contributions our members have entrusted us to be good stewards of.

But we do however believe that "open-carry" and "conceal carry" are indeed choices to be made by law-abiding citizens.

It doesn't matter if one is a better deterrent than the other. A right is a right. I may prefer open-carry, you may prefer conceal carry. We believe its your right to decide. Unfortunately, both rights are currently severely infringed.

The question is how to best reclaim the rights that are being denied and how best to expand those that are being unconstitutionally infringed. And right now, (though we are constantly open to new information) we don't believe we'd be spending the monetary contributions of our members wisely trying to regain the right to conceal carry through a lawsuit that probably wouldn't win. (but again, if you have information to cite where the court says they will throw out a cc conviction, we are all ears)

We've discussed all these issues at length with our legal counsel. Wisconsin Carry takes and "all of the above" approach to reclaiming expanding and protecting the rights of Wisconsinites to carry in the manner of their choosing. We don't believe the lawsuit approach is the best way to obtain the right to CC right now. But there are many other ways.

BROKENSPROKET

imported post

I am trying to post an official announcemet, but I cannot post any attachment.

This is the message I get.

Sorry, the attachment size is bigger than the maximum allowed (100000 bytes).

Why have I been limited to 100 KB?

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

BROKENSPROKET wrote:
I believe that has always been the limit. If you can email to me, I can host it and provide you the link for inclusion here.

BROKENSPROKET

imported post

bnhcomputing wrote:
BROKENSPROKET wrote:
I believe that has always been the limit.  If you can email to me, I can host it and provide you the link for inclusion here.
Then why could I post the pamphlet. Now I cannot repost it. I got the same mressage. Then you posted the exact same document that I could not.
??????????? :banghead::banghead::banghead:

BROKENSPROKET

imported post

Master Doug Huffman wrote:
100KB is the limit for attachments. I don't believe that there is a limit on in-line images. Copy and paste your image directly into the reply dialog.

Thank Doug, I will try that when I have an image to post, but this is a document. When I c-n-p it's contents, it gets messy. When I clean it up and preview, everything I did was lost. :banghead:

A friend of mine has a website to host it and I now have a link to post. But after work when I have time.

BROKENSPROKET

imported post

bnhcomputing wrote:
QuikDrawMcGraw wrote:

Give me a break. What a person writes on the internet can be used as evidence, that is true. But, you need to clarify what type of evidence it is. It is not the smoking gun. It cannot stand as a confession. It, however, can be used as supporting evidence.

IF it is being used in ongoing lawsuits, like you said, then it is not a criminal trial, thus no crime, no conviction.

BROKENSPROKET

imported post

bnhcomputing wrote:
You are correct, Wisconsin Carry, Inc. advocates for both "open carry", which is legal, and we WANT "concealed carry" to be legal also. We would prefer an Alaska/Arizona type concealed carry were you would only choose to get the permit IF you wanted to carry in another state like MN or MI.

So, asa Wisconsin resident, you don't wanttherequirement to obtaina permit to carry in Wisconsin, but you do want increase Wisconsin governmental bureaucracy to give you a permit to carry in other states.

I want you to think about what I just wrote for awhile. I hope that you will come to see how hypocritical your preferencetruly is.

Alaska and Arizona are still one step short of whereVermont is.Alaska and Arizonaalready had the bureaucratic structure in place when they passed legislation to remove the requirement toobtain a permit for heir own residents. Wisconsin does not have that bureaucratic structure in place. If you want a permit for reciprocity, then you will get one to CCW in Wisconsin as well.

Howdoes that old cliche go, "You can't have your cake andeatit too".

bnhcomputing wrote:
The suggestion that "a dozen people" get "convicted" of a crime in and of itself would promote/condone violating the law. Wisconsin Carry, Inc. does not and will not condone violating the law at this time. That's not to say it won't come to that, but we would prefer to work through the civil rather than criminal courts.
My apology. I did not mean that person's should get arrested so that Wisconsin Carry Inc. may file a lawsuit. That is just what I would be willing to do, but I cannot get arrested. What I had intended to say is that your organization should find a dozens CCW convictions that could be appealled.

bnhcomputing wrote:
I would appreciate a cite to where the higher court, "said they would throw the statute out," as I personally haven't seen such a statement.
Again, I apologize. I cannot provide you with a citation. I just assumed that it was true asit waslaw enforcement officers that told me about it. I also figured thata gun rights group that has a lawyer on the Board of Directotr, from the firm that argued the case, you would have it already. If it is not true, I will certainly challenge the friends that told me.

bnhcomputing wrote:
As a personal observation (not WCI) "open carry" is a much better deterrent than concealed carry. With concealed, the crime has already happened and now we must decide how/when/if to react. With only 2-3% of the general public having CCW permits, the criminals know they have a 97% chance you aren't armed.
Open Carry may have the advantage of a slighty quicker draw.Thedisadvantage is that what is being observed is obvioulsy a draw because the firearm can be seen. Drawing from concealment can be made to look like several other things.

It mayadetterant for lesser criminals. Lesser Criminals. Open Carry becomes ever more so theliability the more hardened the criminal. If you don't agree with me, then let us have the debate. I will allow you the opportunity to present situations as to where Open Carry is a crime deternat. I will follow and present situations as to where Open Carry becomes a liability.

Do you really think, that just becasue someone resorts to crime, that they are unintellegent. Your math is flawed. If only 3% of the population has a CCW Permit, you make the assumption that 97% are unarmed. The criminal knows this is not true, because he does not have a permit, yet he is armed. Also, I know many non-criminals that CCW without a permit. Whatever the number of CCW permit holders is, the number that CCW is always greater.

bnhcomputing wrote:
Again, WELCOME, and carry on.
Thank you for the gesture. I hope it carries on. I will never attack someone personally.Though, I will challenge them on the issues

I have had an private email conversation with the one known here as BROKENSPOKET. He would end each correspondence with "Carry On & Carry Always". I like the guy and trust him, but I called him out on that. That salutation belongs to us that CCW.Someone that only carries openlycannot"Carry Always"

So I close with.....

Carry On & Carry Always

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

As this thread is about the June 13 picnic, I will leave it for that and start a new thread for the debate you are looking for.

BROKENSPROKET

imported post

HeyQDM,

I don't think you intended to highjack, well, I can't callit my thread, Mike posted it, but it is my event.

Anywho, when you talk about CCW, it will start a conversation. Hell, one can mention details to put things into context and someone comes along and takes that detail and spins the thread off topic. Phuk, you can mispell a word and someone will point i it out and begin the derailment. It happens here all the time.

Don't worry about it. It a fun read. This post is getting unstikied and will fall off page one. I intend to start a new thread when I release all the details mid next week.

Carry On!!!!!!!!!

PS. you can see I dropped the 'carry always'. I started carrrying firearm in full compliance with 167.31 on my dashbooard3-4 weeks ago. I will skate theedge of the law, but I cannot afford to join your CCW broherhood at this time.

goforlow

imported post

Dave,

My name is Tony, I spoke in depth with your co-worker Nathan at the West Salem event on Sunday. You can PM me here and we can discuss better contact info. Myself and Greg - "brokensproket" are hosting the Eau Claire event.

I hope you folks can be in attendance at our event!

Carry ON!!