• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Leader-Telegram - 'Open carry' event with holstered handguns planned for June 13 (Seymour, WI)

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

http://www.leadertelegram.com/news/front_page/article_410975a7-7193-5d0f-9d30-aaaf4dc3298b.html

SNIP

Picnickers will pack heat at 'open carry' event
'Open carry' event with holstered handguns planned for June 13

Posted: Thursday, April 1, 2010 12:00 am

By Christena T. O'Brien Leader-Telegram staff | 0comments

Brats, beverages and bullets will be served at an "open carry" picnic planned this summer in the Eau Claire County town of Seymour, where adults can exercise their right to carry an armed, holstered handgun.

"Why do this?" asked David "Ole" Olson, who organized similar picnics in Glenwood City and Hudson. "The bottom line is ... to educate legislators, law enforcement and the general public."

goforlow

imported post

DAMN!!! Word travels fast!!

Myself (Tony) and BROKENSPROKET (Greg) are hosting this event. We spoke at the town hall Tuesday, March 30th about this! The article in this paper has a very eye catching title, Greg thinks is is a negative title. But...after reading the article, it is very positive one!

I must thank the help that Greg and I have been getting. firebolt357 (Dave, 'Ole'), Hubert, metalman383 (Dan) and of course WCI. Sorry if I am forgetting someone, it is not intentional, I don't have all the details.

We are looking for any and all the help we can get! Anyone in the Chippewa Falls/Eau Claire area willing to offer any help, please PM or email me or BROKENSPROKET. We have been planning for about 3 weeks and the more help, the less each person needs to do. In turn making this easier on all!

More information about the event and who is invited and attending as those details happen!

Thanks again to those that have helped so far and those who will be helping in the future!

Tony

BROKENSPROKET

imported post

mark edward marchiafava wrote:
At what type of location will this event occur ?
A town park just a few miles outside city limites of Eau Claire with a playground, tennis court, bb court, sand volleyball court, and several baseball fields.

BROKENSPROKET

imported post

Here is the full article that was in the April 1, 2010 edition of the Eau Claire Leader-Telegram.

I hope like hell the tommorrow edition does not retract the story stating it was an April Fools joke. If it is, then I have to assume my exwife is getting me back for the time I had an LEO come to the front door to inform her that I had died in a fatal car accident, just to walk in the back door 3 minutes later. I did not sleep for 3 days for fear that she would kill me herself.

BROKENSPROKET

imported post

Mike, John

Can I get this stickied. For some reason (MOVED) it cannot get bumped. It just keeps falling and says ZERO replies when it is viewed from the Wisconsin forum.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

BROKENSPROKET wrote:
Mike, John

Can I get this stickied. For some reason (MOVED) it cannot get bumped. It just keeps falling and says ZERO replies when it is viewed from the Wisconsin forum.
It will stay on the main page for a few days then fall back to Wisconsin forum, don;t worry

goforlow

imported post

We sure are trying! I was at a local Friends of the NRA banquet on the 1st and it is amazing how many "gun people" have no clue that you can open carry. Hell, most of them do not know or understand many of the gun laws we have.

Unfortunately, the hotel denied us permission to carry at the event. They had a bar in the banquet hall so I had to ask for permission. The hotel told me the NRA stated that we couldn't carry. I questioned all the NRA folks at the event and they said that they would never deny me the right to exercise my 2nd amendment rights. I went back to the hotel management the next day and found out that they lied to me and the hotel was the one that denied the right to carry.

The hotel was the "Plaza" in Eau Claire.

Fireball357

imported post

goforlow wrote:

Unfortunately, the hotel denied us permission to carry at the event. They had a bar in the banquet hall so I had to ask for permission. The hotel told me the NRA stated that we couldn't carry. I questioned all the NRA folks at the event and they said that they would never deny me the right to exercise my 2nd amendment rights. I went back to the hotel management the next day and found out that they lied to me and the hotel was the one that denied the right to carry.

The hotel was the "Plaza" in Eau Claire.

That’s funny; not funny HA HA but funny odd.

I was at the Plaza the Saturday before the Friends of the NRA event for the 3[suP]rd[/suP] District GOP caucus for 7 hours OC’ing and not a word from the management; or staffers.

I didn’t have the same constraints as goforlowbecause there wasn’t any alcohol being served in the halls that we were in; so I didn’t bother to ask for permission. I seldom do; just ask my wife.

But the fact that I’m on the backside of 50; I made more than my share of trips to the little buckaroos room walking past the front desk MANY times; not an eyebrow raised.

paul@paul-fisher.com

imported post

Fireball357 wrote:
I was at the Plaza the Saturday before the Friends of the NRA event for the 3[suP]rd[/suP] District GOP caucus for 7 hours OC’ing and not a word from the management; or staffers.

This brings up a good question. If the hotel has a class B liquor license, do we not legally have to ask for permission to OC even into the lobby?

range rat

imported post

count me an the wife in, i still have some vaction time left, an the wife said if i behave my self i can go outside an play!! ha, ha, do you by change have a list of motels, hotels around there, that are cost effected..

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

paul@paul-fisher.com wrote:
This brings up a good question. If the hotel has a class B liquor license, do we not legally have to ask for permission to OC even into the lobby?
No, the bar part only.

941.237 Carrying handgun where alcohol beverages may be sold and consumed.

941.237(2) (2) Whoever intentionally goes armed with a handgun on any premises for which a Class "B" or "Class B" license or permit has been issued under ch. 125 is guilty of a Class A misdemeanor.

941.237(3) (3) Subsection (2) does not apply to any of the following:

941.237(3)(i) (i) The possession of a handgun in any portion of a hotel other than the portion of the hotel that is a tavern.
Emphasis mine

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

paul@paul-fisher.com wrote:
Once again picking nits but it says tavern, so, a banquet room that serves booze? Is that a tavern?
Now this is a different question altogether. In my opinion (not legal advice) the banquet room would be restricted and prior permission would be required.

But this does take us off this thread topic of the upcoming event in Eau Claire, so maybe a new thread should be started for this hotel/bar discussion.

BROKENSPROKET

imported post

NO ALCOHOL at the Open Carry Picnic.

This Class B Licsense topic should have its owm thread. CAn 0Someonestart it so I can get this thread back ON TOPIC.