• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

ok to carry in racine zoo???

scorpio_vette

imported post

has anybody ever carried in the racine zoo, or know of any reason that i can't/shouldn't carry there. I'm thinking about taking my kid there, and so far all i've found out online is that it's owned by the racine zoological society.

any ideas???

springfield 1911

Founder's Club Member
imported post

http://www.racinezoo.org/Plan_Your_Visit/PYV_generalInfo.shtml

ZOO MANNERS

• Please do not feed or tease us. We are on special diets and anything you feed us could make us sick.
  • Many of us are still very wild. For safety's sake, please stay behind the guardrails. Please do not reach into exhibitis or climb on our homes.
  • Please do no throw anything into our homes. Even simple objects can be very hazardous if we swallow them.
  • Please do not bring roller skates or roller blades, skateboards, scooters, heelies or bicycles into our Zoo.
  • Please wear proper attire, including shirts and shoes, when you visit us.
  • We're here for everybody to enjoy. Please be considerate of others' wishes to see us, too.
  • You can take still photos or videos of us for personal use but permission is required for all photos or video filmed for commercial purposes, and must be obtained in advance from the Zoo's marketing department.

M

McX

imported post

i think you can carry there unless the animals object:lol:

scorpio_vette

imported post

springfield 1911 wrote:
http://www.racinezoo.org/Plan_Your_Visit/PYV_generalInfo.shtml

ZOO MANNERS

• Please do not feed or tease us. We are on special diets and anything you feed us could make us sick.
  • Many of us are still very wild. For safety's sake, please stay behind the guardrails. Please do not reach into exhibitis or climb on our homes.
  • Please do no throw anything into our homes. Even simple objects can be very hazardous if we swallow them.
  • Please do not bring roller skates or roller blades, skateboards, scooters, heelies or bicycles into our Zoo.
  • Please wear proper attire, including shirts and shoes, when you visit us.
  • We're here for everybody to enjoy. Please be considerate of others' wishes to see us, too.
  • You can take still photos or videos of us for personal use but permission is required for all photos or video filmed for commercial purposes, and must be obtained in advance from the Zoo's marketing department.

not sure what you're getting at. is there something in there about guns that i'm not seeing, or are you saying that because it's not posted, it's fine for me to carry???

i actually had to take a double take to see who the poster was, cuz that totally looked like a doug reply. LOL

scorpio_vette

imported post

pvtschultz wrote:
Does the grounds have a Class B liquor license?  The Milwaukee County Zoo does AFAIK.

1) milwauke zoo sells liquor???

2) isn't milwaukee zoo government owned, which means you can't carry there??? (please correct me if i'm wrong)

3) if they did sell liquor, they would only sell INSIDE the restaurant buildings right??? so wouldn't you be allowed to carry anywhere EXCEPT in the building selling the liquor???

Teej

imported post

scorpio_vette wrote:
pvtschultz wrote:
Does the grounds have a Class B liquor license? The Milwaukee County Zoo does AFAIK.

2) isn't milwaukee zoo government owned, which means you can't carry there??? (please correct me if i'm wrong)

3) if they did sell liquor, they would only sell INSIDE the restaurant buildings right??? so wouldn't you be allowed to carry anywhere EXCEPT in the building selling the liquor???

The zoo, and therefore the buildings, are owned by the County...thus the buildings are off limits regardless.

There's beer vendors scattered about, including outside, with no roped off "no alcohol beyond this point" signs...which I'm reasonably certain (but not absolute) implies the whole grounds are covered by the license.

Teej

imported post

Some of the indoor places have beer too, but since the indoor places are off limits by virtue of being government buildings....

From the zoo website:

http://www.milwaukeezoo.org/visit/food.php

BEVERAGE & PRETZEL CARTS [align=center]Located throughout the zoo
All Carts are Seasonal, open by 10:30am[/align] [align=center]Featuring:
Snacks: Jumbo Pretzels with cheese sauce, Jumbo Pickles, Chips
Beverages: Slushies, Bottled Water, Fountain Soda or Bottled Soda, Bottled Beer,
Specialty Bottled Beverages [/align]

Canard

imported post

Teej wrote:
scorpio_vette wrote:
pvtschultz wrote:
Does the grounds have a Class B liquor license?  The Milwaukee County Zoo does AFAIK.

They definitely sell beer there and you are free to walk around with one, I did last summer. You also have to go through a building when you first check in so you couldn't get in without going through a government-owned building.

The zoo, and therefore the buildings, are owned by the County...thus the buildings are off limits regardless.

There's beer vendors scattered about, including outside, with no roped off "no alcohol beyond this point" signs...which I'm reasonably certain (but not absolute) implies the whole grounds are covered by the license.

Canard

imported post

Teej wrote:
scorpio_vette wrote:
pvtschultz wrote:

They definitely sell beer there and you are free to walk around with one, I did last summer. You also have to go through a building when you first check in so you couldn't get in without going through a government-owned building.

scorpio_vette

imported post

ok thanks for the milwaukee zoo replies. as i originally touched on, i was already under the impression that i couldn't carry in the milwaukee zoo anyways since it was government owned.

my main question was the racine zoo.

anymore thoughts on that zoo???

scorpio_vette

imported post

Master Doug Huffman wrote:
scorpio_vette wrote:
my main question was the racine zoo. anymore thoughts on that zoo?
What private entity would run a zoo or could afford to run a zoo? 

I would presume a zoo or a museum to be on leased public property.  (See the public/private property controversy in Seattle and the State of Washington.)

in my original post up top, i said it's own by the zoological society, but that's all i've been able to find out. that's why i'm not sure what to make of it and am asking for help from others here, to see if we can come up with a answer somehow.

across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsi
imported post

scorpio_vette wrote:
i said it's own by the zoological society, ...
Isn't that the answer then? The 'zoological society' is not a government body.

But, as I said, it is likely that the zoo society has leased the property if only for tax purposes and from the government.

I doubt that Wisconsin gun law is evolved enough, sophisticated enough to differentiate leased property from owned property.

Be careful I-ANAL and a coward.

Canard

imported post

Master Doug Huffman wrote:
scorpio_vette wrote:
my main question was the racine zoo. anymore thoughts on that zoo?
What private entity would run a zoo or could afford to run a zoo? 

I would presume a zoo or a museum to be on leased public property.  (See the public/private property controversy in Seattle and the State of Washington.)

941.235 Carrying firearm in public building. (1) Any
person who goes armed with a firearm in any building owned or
leased by the state or any political subdivision of the state is guilty
of a Class A misdemeanor.
(2) This section does not apply to peace officers or armed
forces or military personnel who go armed in the line of duty or
to any person duly authorized by the chief of police of any city,
village or town, the chief of the capitol police, or the sheriff of any
county to possess a firearm in any building under sub. (1). Notwithstanding
s. 939.22 (22), for purposes of this subsection, peace
officer does not include a commission warden who is not a state−
certified commission warden.

It doesn't say anything about not being able to carry on public property just in public buildings...please correct me if I'm wrong guys. I would think if you don't go into a building in Racine Zoo then you would be OK.