• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

ok to carry in racine zoo???

M

McX

imported post

so i guess there will be no oc at the racine zoo. i thought it would be ok as long as we didn't give any guns to the monkeys.:lol:

M

McX

imported post

and don't forget doug, they probably got free health insurance too!:lol:

scorpio_vette

imported post

Canard wrote:
Master Doug Huffman wrote:
scorpio_vette wrote:
my main question was the racine zoo. anymore thoughts on that zoo?
What private entity would run a zoo or could afford to run a zoo? 

I would presume a zoo or a museum to be on leased public property.  (See the public/private property controversy in Seattle and the State of Washington.)

941.235 Carrying firearm in public building. (1) Any
person who goes armed with a firearm in any building owned or
leased by the state or any political subdivision of the state is guilty
of a Class A misdemeanor.
(2) This section does not apply to peace officers or armed
forces or military personnel who go armed in the line of duty or
to any person duly authorized by the chief of police of any city,
village or town, the chief of the capitol police, or the sheriff of any
county to possess a firearm in any building under sub. (1). Notwithstanding
s. 939.22 (22), for purposes of this subsection, peace
officer does not include a commission warden who is not a state−
certified commission warden.

It doesn't say anything about not being able to carry on public property just in public buildings...please correct me if I'm wrong guys. I would think if you don't go into a building in Racine Zoo then you would be OK.

ok, i appologize for being rude, but people, you really have to read ALL posts before repling.

MILWAUKEE ZOO is county owned. (i KNOW that and that's not the discussion here)

RACINE ZOO is OWNED by a ZOOLOGICAL SOCIETY. but that's all i've been able to figure out so far.

SO.

1) does anybody know if the zoological society is government owned or privately owned???

2) if it is privately owned, then the zoo would be legal to carry unless otherwise posted or written n their policy. DOES ANYBODY HAVE EXPERIENCE OR KNOWLEDGE ABOUT THAT AT RACINE ZOO???

3) if it is government owned, then i ALREADY KNOW i can't carry there and don't need everybody here citing me over and over, but so far nobody has ANSWERED whether or not racine is TRULY PRIVATE OWNED or GOVERNMENT OWNED.

please do try to read everything before replying. i try to do the same before replying to other peoples threads. seems like common courtesy.

Jason in WI

imported post

I would think if you stayed out of the buildings you should be legal for sure. I'm not sure how you get in anymore, I tried to go there a while back but it was closed. If its just a gate you don't have to worry about going into a "public" building. We used to go there when we were kids a lot because it was free. I think they only have one main building, a snack shack and possibly some small enclosures for the birds. Do they serve alcohol? I don't remember but watch out for the class B thing.

Edited to add:
Even if it was government owned, my understanding is as long as it isn't a "State Park" and I don't go into a "Public Building" then I'd be good to go.

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

You're exactly right.

So, you're telling us that the ticket gate or whatever (I will not go to a zoo because it makes me cry) stands out in the open, a nekkid 'gate' like a Torii Gate?
As a matter of fact it was Doug. There was no sheltered entrance or at least there wasn't the last time I was there and I grew up in Racine. You could basically walk in off the side walk walk up to the exhibits.

From looking at the Zoo map you can still walk in off the street and not pass through a building.

I think the property is owned by the zoological society and not the city but one would have to call. To be honest and IANAL I would walk through the zoo OC at it is open as a public accommodation.

Although you might want to check the GFSZ issue first.

scorpio_vette

imported post

They report their income on IRS Form 990, use of which is limited to organizations with less than $250,000 assets.  I would guess that the zoo is worth more than that.

WTF??? is it pure luck when you can actually come up with an answer that is clear and understandable by all, or is it pure skill that you just spurt out nothing but random facts that either are not at all related, or that nobody understands what your point is???

think before hitting reply dude. i know it's hard, but with some practice you might master it.

now please explain how your above statement in any way answers any of the questions that i'm asking.

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

Jason in WI wrote:
I would think if you stayed out of the buildings you should be legal for sure. I'm not sure how you get in anymore, I tried to go there a while back but it was closed. If its just a gate you don't have to worry about going into a "public" building. We used to go there when we were kids a lot because it was free. I think they only have one main building, a snack shack and possibly some small enclosures for the birds. Do they serve alcohol? I don't remember but watch out for the class B thing.

Edited to add:
Even if it was government owned, my understanding is as long as it isn't a "State Park" and I don't go into a "Public Building" then I'd be good to go.
The Zoological Society is NOT a subdivision of state or local government. Therefore if the land and buildings are owned by the zoological society, they are not a government owned building or grounds.

For as long as I can remember that land was owned by the zoological society and Run purely off of donations. Not city funded or owned.

This is much like the agricultural society owning the county fair grounds. The county fair grounds is not owned by a state or local government subdivision and therefore is "Private" property open for public accommodation.

However, if an zoologist or employee working at the zoo were to ask you to remove the firearm from the property then you would be so abliged to do so.

They do not serve alcohol as far as I know.

Now Milwaukee Zoo does. What the purpose of selling alcohol at the zoo is, I don't know. Maybe they figure it gives one the courage to climb into an exhibit.

Hey it makes for some exciting action at the zoo. <---Sarcasm.

Giver a try!

That's just my .02

Teej

imported post

scorpio_vette wrote:
ok thanks for the milwaukee zoo replies. as i originally touched on, i was already under the impression that i couldn't carry in the milwaukee zoo anyways since it was government owned.

my main question was the racine zoo.

anymore thoughts on that zoo???
Forgive the detour from the topic (being the racine zoo) but...

Government owned property (ie the mke zoo grounds) does not preclude carrying. Gov't owned _buildings_ prohibit carrying.

As to the Racine's zoo...they have a beer permit. Probably covers the whole grounds, but I don't know that for sure.

Teej

imported post

J.Gleason wrote:

A permit exists. I know they sell beer during concerts held there.

Whether or not they sell it during zoo operations, I don't know...but you might want to check whether the permit is limited in scope or if it's just plain issued to the grounds.

In the former case you might be OK.

In the latter...even if they're not selling, the permit still exists, so no carry.

A little digging shows there's an on-premise beer license issued to "Racine Zoo"

http://www.click2map.com/maps/dustinblock/Racine_Liquor_Licenses

Canard

imported post

J.Gleason wrote:
Jason in WI wrote:
I would think if you stayed out of the buildings you should be legal for sure. I'm not sure how you get in anymore, I tried to go there a while back but it was closed. If its just a gate you don't have to worry about going into a "public" building.   We used to go there when we were kids a lot because it was free.  I think they only have one main building, a snack shack and possibly some small enclosures for the birds. Do they serve alcohol? I don't remember but watch out for the class B thing.

Edited to add:
The Zoological Society is NOT a subdivision of state or local government. Therefore if the land and buildings are owned by the zoological society, they are not a government owned  building or grounds.

For as long as I can remember that land was owned by the zoological society and Run purely off of donations. Not city funded or owned.

This is much like the agricultural society owning the county fair grounds. The county fair grounds is not owned by a state or local government subdivision and therefore is "Private" property open for public accommodation.

However, if an zoologist or employee working at the zoo were to ask you to remove the firearm from the property then you would be so abliged to do so.

Now Milwaukee Zoo does. What the purpose of selling alcohol at the zoo is, I don't know. Maybe they figure it gives one the courage to climb into an exhibit.

Hey it makes for some exciting action at the zoo. <---Sarcasm.

Giver a try!

That's just my .02

http://maps.sewrpc.org/racinemapping/arcims_processresults.asp?TaxKey=276000005945000#

Owned by the city per TaxKey. Irrelevant unless within GFSZ or you go into a building. If they have a liquor license I would say OC is out. - I-ANAL