• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Defense of gun ownership.

malignity

imported post

Ever since this 'Christian Militia' decided they were going to try to kill a cop and try bomb his funeral, I've found myself under fire for being a gun owner. Has anyone else found this to be true as well?

I've found myself in more arguments on what a militia is and is not in the last week than I have in the last ten years. Now, please understand. I am not part of the 'Michigan Militia', or part of the SWVM, or anything like that at all, however, I find myself taking a defensive stance on the wrong usage of the word militia in this case.

Am I wrong in thinking that those idiots should not be called militia members? :banghead:

The roll of a militia is to defend. Am I wrong? These people are TERRORISTS.

There's such a difference, and the media needs to learn this. Everyone is blasting this 'militia', and talking about this situation it seems (at least they are here) and I keep trying to explain this to people, and they don't understand. ANYONE who raises a weapon in defense of the state and for individual rights in a time of need is the militia. There are so many garbage definitions on what a militia is, like "a body of citizens enrolled for military service, and called out periodically for drill but serving full time only in emergencies. " That's BS. You don't have to be active military, or even have any military background. The head of the 'Michigan Militia' is no more of a militia member in a time of need than anyone else, am I right?

Please, tell me if I'm in left field here, but I've felt the need to rant, because I've completely gone off the deep end with this crap in the media. If crap like this is free speech, it makes me wonder what our second amendment is protecting. This kind of stuff is slander, is it not?

G

imported post

The militia of State of Michigan is established by statute:

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/%28S%282zueirebgxml3wrzppd32m55%29%29/mileg.aspx?page=getObject&objectName=mcl-32-509

MICHIGAN MILITARY ACT (EXCERPT)
Act 150 of 1967

32.509 State military establishment; composition; organized and unorganized militia.
Sec. 109.
The organized militia of this state taken collectively shall be known as the state military establishment and constitutes the armed forces of this state. The organized militia consists of the army national guard, the air national guard, and the defense force when actually in existence as provided in this act. The unorganized militia consists of all other able-bodied citizens of this state and all other able-bodied citizens who are residents of this state who have or shall have declared their intention to become citizens of the United States, who shall be age 17 or over and not more than age 60, and shall be subject to state military duty as provided in this act.
[line]

The power of the Governor of the State of Michigan to deploy the militia is also established by statute:

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/%28S%282zueirebgxml3wrzppd32m55%29%29/mileg.aspx?page=getObject&objectName=mcl-32-555

MICHIGAN MILITARY ACT (EXCERPT)
Act 150 of 1967

32.555 Unorganized militia; power of the governor.
Sec. 155.
The governor may order into the defense force any members of the unorganized militia in case of riot, tumult, breach of the peace, resistance of process, or for service in aid of civil authority, whether state or federal, or in time of public danger, disaster, crisis, catastrophe or other public emergency within this state.

Michigander

imported post

Haven't seen this much militia bashing since the 90's.

It makes me think that we should do another get together with the Michigan Militia, maybe a litter clean up or another picnic, but preferably some kind of community service get together, in an attempt to get positive press. This bashing of militias really isn't appropriate. My state wide litter clean up would be a good one...http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum30/40049.html

Another thing that irritates me is that they are trying to define militias as "right wing extremists". Local militias like the SMVM consist of people from every political spectrum. :?

Evil Creamsicle

imported post

Michigander wrote:
Haven't seen this much militia bashing since the 90's.

It makes me think that we should do another get together with the Michigan Militia, maybe a litter clean up or another picnic, but preferably some kind of community service get together, in an attempt to get positive press. This bashing of militias really isn't appropriate. My state wide litter clean up would be a good one...http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum30/40049.html

Another thing that irritates me is that they are trying to define militias as "right wing extremists". Local militias like the SMVM consist of people from every political spectrum. :?
a litter cleanup with the Michigan Militia would be a great idea... good press for all sides.