Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oakland University (is this us?)

Post imported post

Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2010 10:14:18 -0400
    To: undisclosed-recipients:;<Invalid address>
    Subject: OU Official Broadcast: Possible Campus Demonstrations Regarding Gun Control Issues

Dear Colleagues and Students,

We have learned that next week some individuals might participate in demonstrations on our campus to express their views on gun control issues. These activities are not unique to our university but are part of larger efforts being orchestrated regionally and across the country to gain support of various concealed weapon initiatives.

I wanted to alert you to the possibility that you might see people on campus wearing empty weapon holsters or carrying weapons on their person and in open view. The Oakland University Police Department will be monitoring this situation very closely to maintain a safe and non-threatening campus environment. If need be, officers will curtail any disruptions to the learning environment or university business.

I want to remind our students that the university’s code of conduct prohibits the possession of any weapon on campus and that a violation of this policy could result in disciplinary measures as described in the Student Handbook.

We expect any demonstrations on campus to be peaceful and conducted in accordance with applicable laws and university policy. But if any person on campus feels threatened or endangered at any point, they are encouraged to call the OUPD at (248) 370-3331 or text to 911@oakland.edu right away.

As a university community we certainly encourage the free exchange of ideas and open dialogue on important societal issues. However, there is a right time, place and manner of doing this and we will ensure that the rights of everyone on campus are protected.

Thank you,

Mary Beth Snyder

Vice President for Student Affairs

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Nothing I've heard of so far.

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA

Post imported post

maybe students for concealed carry on campus?

Edit add: Yep!

http://concealedcampus.org/protest.php

For info please contact Oakland University Campus Leader jolamkin@gmail.com

Post imported post

Yikes that web page is horrible.

Post imported post

Yeah, but I thought the posters were cool...

Post imported post

Dear Colleagues and Students...

I... wanted to alert you to the possibility that you might see people on campus wearing empty weapon holsters or carrying weapons on their person and in open view. "

Mary Beth Snyder
    Vice President for Student Affairs

Sounds just short of an engraved invitation to me.

***former lurker known as "Ethan_Frome" since 2008
    "Are you sure Hank done it this way?" - Waylon Jennings

Post imported post

I wish I was going to be around to show them some support.

Post imported post

Guys,

Just got off the phone with the OU Chief of Police.

I am the State Director for Students for Concealed Carry on Campus. Next week is our National Empty Holster Protest. OUPD's concern is that the two events - combined with a federally funded crisis drill on Friday - will cause too much anxiety in a month where tensions run high with finals already.

We're working with OUPD to limit our protest to one that works with the school. Will you guys be willing to do the same? I understand that some sort of protest is going on on Wednesday. Can you guys move it to another week?

I'd love to chat and drum up some more support, but I don't have the time now. If anyone can provide me with Jeff Sayer's number, I'd appreciate it. Send it to michigan at concealedcampus dut org.

Post imported post

reidksmith wrote:
    We're working with OUPD to limit our protest to one that works with the school. Will you guys be willing to do the same? I understand that some sort of protest is going on on Wednesday. Can you guys move it to another week?
    What is this other protest or event at OUthat Reid is referring to? By "you guys", who is he referring to? PM me if necessary.
    "The principle of self-defense, even involving weapons and bloodshed, has never been condemned, even by Gandhi . . ."--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr

“He who cannot protect himself or his nearest and dearest or their honor by non-violently facing death, may and ought to do so by violently dealing with the oppressor. He who can do neither of the two is a burden.”--M. K. Gandhi

"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." --M. K. Gandhi

Post imported post

Dan,

Sorry for the rushed post.

I've got a couple more minutes now.

Essentially, I was told that Michigan Open Carry will be holding a protest on Wednesday. My advice to you guys was to stand down and do it at the next available opportunity. I know I'll catch flak for saying such a thing, but I'll let MOC deal with making the actual decision. I think it's the right call. Having spent quite a bit of time on the phone with the Chief of PD - and knowing a thing or two about campus PDs already - I think he's a good guy that is willing to work with you. By you, I mean MOC.

Again, I support the MOC cause and have worked with you guys before. OUPD is willing to work with both of us in rescheduling the protest. We've already settled on a deal with them (we = Students for Concealed Carry on Campus) in principle. Because of the anxiety on campus about that email in the OP, I think changing the timing of the protest would be a sound move.

Not sure what else I can say without stepping on people's toes. More info to come once things become more formalized. I emailed Jeff Sayers, and so I can get in touch with him that way.

Reid

Post imported post

reidksmith wrote:
    We're working with OUPD to limit our protest to one that works with the school. Will you guys be willing to do the same? I understand that some sort of protest is going on on Wednesday.
    Why in the hell would you do that? It is the fault of the PD and the board of directors that this unconstitutional tyranny exists, which is why you are doing this empty holster protest to begin with. State law allows campus carry now!

In your position, I would have exactly no concern for the meaningless requests of the PD. Being polite and politically correct when faced by oppressors is not typically the way to get things done.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Do you really wanna go there with me?, Michigan, USA

Post imported post

I was not aware of anything MOC or OC supporters had planned for next week. Did I miss something, someone please get a hold of me if I did.
    United we STAND!

Post imported post

JeffSayers wrote:
    I was not aware of anything MOC or OC supporters had planned for next week. Did I miss something, someone please get a hold of me if I did.
    There was an OU meeting event for April 7th at 2pm. However,the event was posted for three weeks and the only person who planned to attend was John. He asked me to delete the event due to the lack of attendanceand personal issues.

Do you really wanna go there with me?, Michigan, USA

Post imported post

Ah, I think I see the confusion now. Thanks!
    United we STAND!

Post imported post

So, I'm confused. Is something going on or not next week? =\ I got the email as well.

Post imported post

Come on guys wtf. I highly doubt MOC members have any idea of any protest. I didn't hear a word. Communicate people!

Post imported post

Michigander wrote:
    State law allows campus carry now!
    Huh? When'd that get changed?

-Richard-

Post imported post

office888 wrote:
    Michigander wrote:

-Richard-
    Both bills are still in the State Senate and House..and nothing has been going on with them..

Post imported post

detroitfan wrote:
    office888 wrote:
    Michigander wrote:

-Richard-
    Both bills are still in the State Senate and House..and nothing has been going on with them..
    Nice screen name
    If guns cause crime, all mine are defective- Ted Nugent

Post imported post

NO WAY. hahahahaha

Post imported post

office888 wrote:
    Michigander wrote:

-Richard-
    There is no state law that bans OC at colleges. CC is outlawed, but only in class rooms and dormitories.

Preemption doesn't cover state run entities, such as colleges who derive their over bearing power from the community colleges act. That is why unconstitutional bans against self defense remain active in colleges across the state.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Post imported post

JeffSayers wrote:
    Generaldet announced it on Team Speak a while back.

Maybe he didn't see a need to inform you.

He did notify the MOC Events Coordinator though.

But he deleted the notice before anyone had a chance to sign-up.

[line]The UFO is landing on Team Speak Sunday @ 6PM.

Post imported post

Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2010 08:49:48 -0400
    To:
    Subject: Campus Demonstrations - Firearms Issues

All Members of the Campus Community:

Last week, President Russi and Provost Moudgil sent an e-mail message to the campus community regarding the possibility of two separate gun rights advocacy groups planning to hold demonstrations on campus this week. I am providing the following update:

On Friday, April 2, 2010, I met with the leaders of the OU Students for Concealed Carry on Campus. The group is promoting the right of students who have valid permits to carry a concealed weapon, to do so on campus. The group attempts to bring attention to their cause through what’s commonly referred to as an “empty holster” protest in which students attend classes and go about their daily business on campus while wearing empty and openly visible holsters.

At my request, the student leaders initially agreed to cancel this week’s demonstration primarily because of the anxiety these issues have raised in the community. Unfortunately, the student leaders changed their minds over the weekend and decided to go forward with the demonstration during the period of Monday through Thursday. OUPD officers are monitoring the demonstrators, which have totaled just a handful thus far, and will continue to do so. The protesting students have been lawful and orderly.

Yesterday, I met with the new president of the Michigan Open Carry, Inc., the second gun rights advocacy group mentioned above. This group believes citizens should have the right to carry legally registered firearms in open view in public. Recently, we had been informed that the group may be planning to gather and hold a demonstration (while carrying firearms on their person and in open view) on campus this week. During our meeting, the president of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. confirmed that his organization is not promoting or sponsoring any official demonstration of this type on campus this week. However, individual group members may act independently and engage in such a demonstration although we believe the possibility of that occurring to be highly unlikely.

I am quite confident that our campus will remain a safe environment this week as we continue to monitor events closely. However, we encourage anyone who sees threatening or dangerous behavior, or who observes openly carried firearms, to call the OUPD at (248) 370-3331 or text 911@oakland.edu.

Finally, and on another note, I would like to remind you that we have been planning for over a year to conduct a full scale emergency management training exercise on campus this Friday, April 9, 2010. This event, supported by a U.S. Department of Education grant, involves a number of local first emergency responders, as well as the University’s Crisis Management Team and other student, staff and faculty participants. This type of training is invaluable in helping us enhance our overall emergency preparedness initiatives.

The exercise will take place in the general area of Wilson Blvd. and Meadow Brook Rd. and may require some partial road closures. Those of you who happen to be in the area during the exercise will see responding police, fire and emergency medical service agencies simulating an emergency response. You are reminded that this is a TRAINING EXERCISE ONLY and not a real emergency.

Thank you for your cooperation and ongoing commitment to campus safety.

Samuel C. Lucido

Chief of Police

Post imported post

maybeifulucky wrote:
    Yesterday, I met with the new president of the Michigan Open Carry, Inc., the second gun rights advocacy group mentioned above. This group believes citizens should have the right to carry legally registered firearms in open view in public....

I am quite confident that our campus will remain a safe environment this week as we continue to monitor events closely. However, we encourage anyone who sees threatening or dangerous behavior, or who observes openly carried firearms, to call the OUPD at (248) 370-3331 or text 911@oakland.edu.
    This could be interpreted as if the chief of police thinks open carry is illegal and plans to harrass OCers. Not sure. Anyone know?

Post imported post

Savage.Detroit wrote:
    maybeifulucky wrote:
    Yesterday, I met with the new president of the Michigan Open Carry, Inc., the second gun rights advocacy group mentioned above. This group believes citizens should have the right to carry legally registered firearms in open view in public....

This could be interpreted as if the chief of police thinks open carry is illegal and plans to harrass OCers. Not sure. Anyone know?
    It was mentioned in the email that the chief met with "the new president of the Michigan Open Carry, Inc." so maybe Jeff has some answer or speculation as to that.

I'm surethe Michigan OpenCarry, Inc.as well as many gun owners inthe Michigan would like to know.
    "The principle of self-defense, even involving weapons and bloodshed, has never been condemned, even by Gandhi . . ."--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr

“He who cannot protect himself or his nearest and dearest or their honor by non-violently facing death, may and ought to do so by violently dealing with the oppressor. He who can do neither of the two is a burden.”--M. K. Gandhi

"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." --M. K. Gandhi

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast