• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Oakland University (is this us?)

maybeifulucky

imported post

Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2010 10:14:18 -0400
To: undisclosed-recipients:;<Invalid address>
Subject: OU Official Broadcast: Possible Campus Demonstrations Regarding Gun Control Issues

Dear Colleagues and Students,

We have learned that next week some individuals might participate in demonstrations on our campus to express their views on gun control issues. These activities are not unique to our university but are part of larger efforts being orchestrated regionally and across the country to gain support of various concealed weapon initiatives.

I wanted to alert you to the possibility that you might see people on campus wearing empty weapon holsters or carrying weapons on their person and in open view. The Oakland University Police Department will be monitoring this situation very closely to maintain a safe and non-threatening campus environment. If need be, officers will curtail any disruptions to the learning environment or university business.

I want to remind our students that the university’s code of conduct prohibits the possession of any weapon on campus and that a violation of this policy could result in disciplinary measures as described in the Student Handbook.

We expect any demonstrations on campus to be peaceful and conducted in accordance with applicable laws and university policy. But if any person on campus feels threatened or endangered at any point, they are encouraged to call the OUPD at (248) 370-3331 or text to 911@oakland.edu right away.

As a university community we certainly encourage the free exchange of ideas and open dialogue on important societal issues. However, there is a right time, place and manner of doing this and we will ensure that the rights of everyone on campus are protected.

Thank you,

Mary Beth Snyder

Vice President for Student Affairs

Ruckus

imported post

Dear Colleagues and Students...

I... wanted to alert you to the possibility that you might see people on campus wearing empty weapon holsters or carrying weapons on their person and in open view. "

Mary Beth Snyder
Vice President for Student Affairs

Sounds just short of an engraved invitation to me.

***former lurker known as "Ethan_Frome" since 2008

reidksmith

imported post

Guys,

Just got off the phone with the OU Chief of Police.

I am the State Director for Students for Concealed Carry on Campus. Next week is our National Empty Holster Protest. OUPD's concern is that the two events - combined with a federally funded crisis drill on Friday - will cause too much anxiety in a month where tensions run high with finals already.

We're working with OUPD to limit our protest to one that works with the school. Will you guys be willing to do the same? I understand that some sort of protest is going on on Wednesday. Can you guys move it to another week?

I'd love to chat and drum up some more support, but I don't have the time now. If anyone can provide me with Jeff Sayer's number, I'd appreciate it. Send it to michigan at concealedcampus dut org.

DanM

imported post

reidksmith wrote:
We're working with OUPD to limit our protest to one that works with the school. Will you guys be willing to do the same? I understand that some sort of protest is going on on Wednesday. Can you guys move it to another week?
What is this other protest or event at OUthat Reid is referring to? By "you guys", who is he referring to? PM me if necessary.

reidksmith

imported post

Dan,

Sorry for the rushed post.

I've got a couple more minutes now.

Essentially, I was told that Michigan Open Carry will be holding a protest on Wednesday. My advice to you guys was to stand down and do it at the next available opportunity. I know I'll catch flak for saying such a thing, but I'll let MOC deal with making the actual decision. I think it's the right call. Having spent quite a bit of time on the phone with the Chief of PD - and knowing a thing or two about campus PDs already - I think he's a good guy that is willing to work with you. By you, I mean MOC.

Again, I support the MOC cause and have worked with you guys before. OUPD is willing to work with both of us in rescheduling the protest. We've already settled on a deal with them (we = Students for Concealed Carry on Campus) in principle. Because of the anxiety on campus about that email in the OP, I think changing the timing of the protest would be a sound move.

Not sure what else I can say without stepping on people's toes. More info to come once things become more formalized. I emailed Jeff Sayers, and so I can get in touch with him that way.

Reid

Michigander

imported post

reidksmith wrote:
We're working with OUPD to limit our protest to one that works with the school. Will you guys be willing to do the same? I understand that some sort of protest is going on on Wednesday.
Why in the hell would you do that? It is the fault of the PD and the board of directors that this unconstitutional tyranny exists, which is why you are doing this empty holster protest to begin with. State law allows campus carry now!

In your position, I would have exactly no concern for the meaningless requests of the PD. Being polite and politically correct when faced by oppressors is not typically the way to get things done. :uhoh:

SpringerXDacp

imported post

JeffSayers wrote:
I was not aware of anything MOC or OC supporters had planned for next week. Did I miss something, someone please get a hold of me if I did.
There was an OU meeting event for April 7th at 2pm. However,the event was posted for three weeks and the only person who planned to attend was John. He asked me to delete the event due to the lack of attendanceand personal issues.

detroitfan

imported post

So, I'm confused. Is something going on or not next week? =\ I got the email as well.