• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Brady bunch mentality and "facts"

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Hollowpoint38 wrote:
Huck wrote:
Hollowpoint38 wrote:

Where can I find this evidence? I have bumped into a few people that show "evidence" that gun violence in America is the highest anywhere else in the world.

Are the any stats on Open Carry, such as any violent events?
There is no evidence since guns, like all inanimite objects,dont commit acts of violence. Only people do.

I didn't ask that. I know guns don't kill people. Don't patronize me please. I'm an adult. Not a child in need of teaching.... unlike the Brady Campaign.

I was asking if there was any stats on OPEN CARRY VIOLENCE. There seems to be a statistic for everything and I wanted to know if any OCers have ever shot up a store, robbed someone, etc.

To answer your question (highlighted in bold), not that we're aware of. The members of these forums are constantly on the lookout for incidences of such nature. We're also attempting to keep tract of events in which lawful OC'ers have used there weapons in self-defense or defense of another.

As far as stats go, concerning lawful OC'er or CCers crossing the line and carrying out illegal violantacts, it appears that it's been CCer's doing that. And that has been extremely rare in relation to the total number of lawful carriers.

It also appears that CCer's are more likely to have to use their weapons to stop a crime than OC'ers. We only know of a few documented cases in which an OCer has been involved in a defensive shooting. Dang near all incidences of lawfull carriers using their firearms defensively have been by CCer's, as best we can tell.

It's really hard to tabulate statistics on events (such as how many crimes are deterred by OC) when no one but the criminal knows of the occurences. Maybe if we ask nicely, the criminals will start furnishing us with this important data. ;)

Hollowpoint38

A sandwich made of knuckles, Hoover, Alabama
imported post

LOL ok. Thank you. That is what I was looking for. I knew we couldn't have statistics on possibly prevented crimes. I just wanted to know if an OCer had broken the law with their weapon or how many times it had happened so I could compare it to the CC stats (the few I've seen).

Thanks! You've been helpful! -Tim

eye95

imported post

Yeah, I don't think you'll find any stats, just a few anecdotes.

OCers just don't seem to be out there shootin' the place up. Except maybe Jimmy Kimmel.