• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wow!! So much info!

Big_Grumpy

imported post

New guy here! I recently purchased an S&W M&P .45 for recreational shooting and home defense. I'm pretty new to pistols and have fired afew hundred rounds through various models before I decided to buy.

Anyway, on a whim, I Googled "open carry in Wisconsin" and stumbled on this site. I'm unfamiliar with Wisconsin's carry laws and aside from hearing about "that guy" who was arrested for open carry (I think it was the gentleman from Racine), I didn't know what was legal.

This site is a wealth of knowledge for those not in the know, like myself, and I will pass it on to any fellow Wisconsinites who might be interested in the subject.

I was in the process of picking out a holster for my .45 for the range, but now the prospect of OC might make me revisit my choice.

It's interesting... aside from carrying in your car, a bar, around a school and state and local municipally owned buildings... you can carry anywhere?I live near the "Liberal City" and the prospect of walking around East Towne Mall carrying seems weird. Can you also carry on fairgrounds (i.e. carnivals, car shows, etc...)?

Thanks againto all that make this site possible!

Now, should I get the holster that accommodates my mounted light, or a "regular" holster and remove the light before going out? I might have to repost this in the "Holster" section...

M

McX

imported post

Welcome by the way. You've walked in on the best place. Nose around, get over to wisconsincarry, and join up, read, and ask. everyone is here to help you with any question you ask. Historic days are afoot for those who want to get envolved!

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Welcome to the forum! You can learn a lot here and get "In the know" of things. Most of what you will see here is linked to documents to prove the information is valid.

I 2nd McX, join Wisconsin Carry at www.wisconsincarry.org . It is a fantastic organization that actually DOES something instead of saying they are going to do something for our rights.

Join us in our open carry events when we have them. You will see them on this site from time to time and even in local newspapers. Heck, the first open carry event I attended was due to a newspaper article in La Crosse.

Carry on and welcome again!

:exclaim:

across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsi
imported post

Big_Grumpy wrote:
It's interesting... aside from carrying in your car, a bar, around a school and state and local municipally owned buildings... you can carry anywhere? Can you also carry on fairgrounds (i.e. carnivals, car shows, etc...)?
Depends on ownership of the fairgrounds. The SC State Fairgrounds are state owned IIRC.

A generic holster for your pistol, contrasted with one for the just right light too, will be cheaper. I am very pleased with my Blackhawk SERPA.

Note that there are no mentions of "holster" in Wisconsin Statutes.

I carried happily Chihuahua Mexican style (in the belt no holster X-draw) for years in concealed carry only South Carolina.

Big_Grumpy

imported post

Thanks for the welcome and info, guys. I'll look into becoming a member of Wisconsin Carry.

As far as the holster goes... I was eying this one (not at this store, though.) I like he backstrap to keep the weapon secure.

http://www.tactical-store.com/ts-ds-ht-6287-51921-61-bbcdb.html

I checked out Serpa's and I can't find one that will accomodate my M&P .45 (FS) with a TLR-2 mounted...

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Big_Grumpy wrote:
Thanks for the welcome and info, guys. I'll look into becoming a member of Wisconsin Carry.

As far as the holster goes... I was eying this one (not at this store, though.) I like he backstrap to keep the weapon secure.

I checked out Serpa's and I can't find one that will accomodate my M&P .45 (FS) with a TLR-2 mounted...

There is a Serpa Blackhawk for your pistol here: http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=111580

I don't know what a TLR-2 is but am guessing it is a light or laser? Anyway, the Serpa Blackhawks are great. I have three now and would never go back to a leather holster for open carry.

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Big_Grumpy wrote:

OK. Now I know what a TLR-2 is: http://www.tactical-store.com/ts-sq-fl-tlr2-tact.html

That thing is about as expensive as the gun. LOL! For open carry I don't think I would have it on my gun. :lol:

Big_Grumpy

imported post

Well, that's part of my dilemma. The gun's primary use is home defense so I was thinking that the light should stay and I should practice with the light onand become as proficient as I can with the combo. That would mean leaving the light on pretty much always.

Yeah, these light's aren't that cheap, but I feel they are a definite asset to anyweapon. You also pay for quality. It's a racket, though. They probably only cost a fraction of that to produce.

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Looks like a nice light/laser assembly and yes, I agree you get what you pay for! I agree that if you are going to use it all the time then you definitely should practice with the assembly mounted. My Glock 36 is one of the first models and doesn't have a rail so I couldn't put anything on it if I wanted to.

I think that if you are going to open carry in public it would be much easier (weight wise and clumsy wise:p) to carry it "plain jane" but that is just my opinion. Heck, my G36 weighs 26.9 ounces wit a Pierce grip extension and 6 rounds and after wearing it for a few hours I think it is too heavy.:exclaim:

Carry on friend!

Big_Grumpy

imported post

That's a good point... I could see the weight and clumsiness becoming an issue, too.

I appreciate the opinions. The fact is I'm still kind oftorn what to do. But the "good" thing is in WI, at least you have to take it off when you hop in your car providing some relief... :D

Thanks again! Like I said, maybe I'll follow this up in the "Holsters..." section for some more opinions.

imported post

In the matter of lights for self-defense (as opposed to CQC), I was taught, "If its dark, keep it dark." A snap shot at the light's after image is a no brainer.

Further, in Wisconsin (yes, laser has not yet been mentioned, YET)...

941.299 Restrictions on the use of laser pointers.
(1) In this section:
(a) “Correctional officer” has the meaning given in s. 941.237(1) (b).
(b) “Laser pointer” means a hand−held device that uses light
amplification by stimulated emission of radiation to emit a beam
of light that is visible to the human eye.
(c) “Law enforcement officer” means a Wisconsin law
enforcement officer, as defined in s. 175.46 (1) (g), or a federal law
enforcement officer, as defined in s. 175.40 (7) (a) 1.
(2) No person may do any of the following:
(a) Intentionally direct a beam of light from a laser pointer at
any part of the body of a correctional officer, law enforcement
officer, or commission warden without the officer’s consent, if the
person knows or has reason to know that the victim is a correctional
officer, law enforcement officer, or commission warden
who is acting in an official capacity.
(b) Intentionally and for no legitimate purpose direct a beam
of light from a laser pointer at any part of the body of any human
being.
(c) Intentionally direct a beam of light from a laser pointer in
a manner that could reasonably be expected to alarm, intimidate,
threaten or terrify another person.

(d) Intentionally direct a beam of light from a laser pointer in
a manner that, under the circumstances, tends to disrupt any public
or private event or create or provoke a disturbance.

Towards the end of my thirty years in Mt. Pleasant, SC, bad elements moved into my condo complex, including a 'chemist' and his crewe. I took my Chief's advice and became a good nosey neighbor. The kidz didn't appreciate that and retaliated by shooting at the silhouettes on our drawn drapes. I was working at an open window once when some little ones thought they'd be smart and shine their laser pointer in the window. I'm sure that they were impressed with the PD response.

A laser provides the same threat as a brandished gun. "Brandish" is not mentioned in Wisconsin Statutes.

Big_Grumpy

imported post

Wow! Great information Master Doug! It looks like a laser/light would be a bad idea. I wouldn't want to stir the pot further by carrying one.

Thank You!

Tree_Planter

imported post

I carry a Glock 21 with the light attached in a Blackhawk Serpa 3 drop holster regularly. If it is dark out and you have to use your sidearm, it makes sense to see what you are aiming at with as little distraction as possible, including not having to find and attach a light.

There is a large number of reasons to not use a laser on a personal security sidearm, which admittedly could be a rather lengthy discussion. I will stick with the short version: Don't.

Brad Krause
Instructor, Wisconsin Civil Rights Advocate, and someone who still plants trees armed

Big_Grumpy

imported post

Well... it IS a laser/light combo... Are you suggesting legally if worse came to worst that just a light alone would be better?

Big_Grumpy

imported post

Understand. On the other hand I like to shoot targets the best that I can for recreational competition against friends and relatives for fun, too...

An extended magazine? I don't want to reload as often. Tritium sights? Who wouldn't want that added safety at night?

Some gun laws and legislators are just dumb.

imported post

Two, two guns is better'n one. Build a race gun and have a self-defense gun.

I went to a competition once where the local champeen shooter was a five foot tall bubble-butt that left her rig on all day, looking like a pork -aaa - porcupine with the half dozen magazines for grab and go with a drop leg quick draw gun holder (NOT holster).

The law is an ass that lawyers ride to work.

Wouldn't want no personal attacks, now would we, PollyAnna stalker?

Big_Grumpy

imported post

I suppose the list goes on and on... If I got an improved sear and striker block, because the trigger is crappy (which it truly is on an M&P) that would look bad too.

Not all people can afford multiple guns and the accessories it takes to make a "specialized", purpose gun.

People soup up their cars, but do they intend to race on the street or run someone down?

Guns are a hobby. Of course they can be used for good or evil, but I feel that it shouldn't be up to some dope in the legislature to decide what hard written laws and restrictions should be in place for the population to abide by because they don't understand the hobby.

Unfortunately, it's the way of things.

blaze

imported post

Welcome Big Grumpy, I believe in personal preference. My smallest handgun has a laser on it and my biggest handgun has an EOtech holographic sight on it. I very much enjoy both as I am a better shot using these aids.

If your personal preference is the laser/light combo what the hell give it a try. If it makes shooting your firearm a more enjoyable experience so much the better.:D

If your eyes are as junky as mine are its nice to have a little help.:cool:

Big_Grumpy

imported post

Matter of fact Blayze, my eyes are kind of junky, as I have trouble focusing on the front sight. I actually was thinking about some tritiums to help, too.

Thanks for the welcome!

Do you OC with any pistols with their accessories mounted?