Thread: Walmart Response

Post imported post

Thought everyone might be interested in a response that I got from Walmart Corp. on carry.

I was curious when I was told by to gentlemen at the TN handgun safety class I attended this past weekend that the policy at the store they worked at was to ask all who have open carry to leave......concealed carry would be kind of obvious it should be concealed. I post this here as I live in VA and have a home in TN.

Don't know how to take this for VA.

Cheers.

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Thank you for your message.

Dear Terrance,

Thank you for contacting Walmart in regards to policy on carrying handguns.

There is no policy against customers carrying their handgun in our stores as long as he/she is legally licensed by their state to carry the handgun.

As a private property owner, Walmart has the authority to ask customers to remove their handgun or leave the store on a case-by-case basis if customers or Walmart associates express concerns about the handgun.

Sincerely,
    Walmart Customer Care

For further correspondence regarding this issue, please reply to this email.

----Your Original Comments Were----

Hello,I would like to know what Walmart Corporate Policy is concerning the carry of either concealed handguns or the open carry of the same in stores in the United States.

Post imported post

Article 1 Section 13 of the VA Constitution is my "license to carry" as upheld by the courts.

Perhaps they meant that carrying in their stores is fine as long as it isn't illegal in the state the store is located. That's what I remember it being before. I think this since they included "legally" before "licensed" as it wouldn't make any sense if someone was "illegally licensed"

Post imported post

Good point. What really caught my eye was that they defaulted to the concerns of the associates or customers, and not the law. It seems to me that we are opening up for anyone to make law based on their feelings. Dont really like that.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

nova wrote:
    Article 1 Section 13 of the VA Constitution is my "license to carry" as upheld by the courts.

Perhaps they meant that carrying in their stores is fine as long as it isn't illegal in the state the store is located. That's what I remember it being before. I think this since they included "legally" before "licensed" as it wouldn't make any sense if someone was "illegally licensed"
    I am legally licensed/permitted by the state to carry a handgun, but not required by the state to conceal.

The Wally World response that I have seen most often is that "We honor the laws of the state in which each store is located"

Understand what they are NOT pointing out clearly. That being that there are also personal property laws/rights that they can and have imposed. That right trumps the temporary privilege that Wally World may have extended to you.

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Post imported post

Walmart is trying to live on both sides of the fence. They want to anger as few customers as they can.

So, sure you can carry. And sure, if someone gets upset, we can kick you out.

They are trying to avoid the Starbucks limelight.

TFred

Post imported post

I just want to make sure I have my response ready when I am asked to leave my sidearm in the car.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

Bigbird wrote:
    I just want to make sure I have my response ready when I am asked to leave my sidearm in the car.
    That will never happen - I might go CC, but I woll NOT return my gun to my car where someone may see what I do and which will leave me defenseless. Wally World cannot and does not guarantee my safety.

Better to shop elsewhere IMO.

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Founder's Club Member Hawkflyer's Avatar

Post imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
    Bigbird wrote:
    That will never happen - I might go CC, but I woll NOT return my gun to my car where someone may see what I do and which will leave me defenseless.* Wally World cannot and does not guarantee my safety.

Better to shop elsewhere IMO.

*********** Yata hey
    +1
    "Research has shown that a 230 grain lead pellet placed just behind the ear at 850 FPS results in a permanent cure for violent criminal behavior."
    "If you are not getting Flak, you are not over the target"
    "186,000 Miles per second! ... Not just a good idea ... It's the law!"

Post imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
    Bigbird wrote:
    That will never happen - I might go CC, but I woll NOT return my gun to my car where someone may see what I do and which will leave me defenseless. Wally World cannot and does not guarantee my safety.
    Not even in the ones that have security guards....

http://consumerist.com/2010/03/woman...-attacker.html

http://consumerist.com/2009/11/walma...peed-on-1.html

Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.

Post imported post

Bigbird wrote:
    Thought everyone might be interested in a response that I got from Walmart Corp. on carry.

I was curious when I was told by to gentlemen at the TN handgun safety class I attended this past weekend that the policy at the store they worked at was to ask all who have open carry to leave......concealed carry would be kind of obvious it should be concealed. I post this here as I live in VA and have a home in TN.

Don't know how to take this for VA.

Cheers.

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Thank you for your message.

Dear Terrance,

Thank you for contacting Walmart in regards to policy on carrying handguns.

There is no policy against customers carrying their handgun in our stores as long as he/she is legally licensed by their state to carry the handgun.

As a private property owner, Walmart has the authority to ask customers to remove their handgun or leave the store on a case-by-case basis if customers or Walmart associates express concerns about the handgun.

Sincerely,
    Walmart Customer Care

For further correspondence regarding this issue, please reply to this email.

----Your Original Comments Were----

Hello,I would like to know what Walmart Corporate Policy is concerning the carry of either concealed handguns or the open carry of the same in stores in the United States.
    1 - Welcome to OCDO.

2 - Sounds like a welcome to OCing might be a bit belated, but "Welcome" anyhow.

3 - Since you are claiming that your response is from "Corporate" we (yes, the royal "we") would appreciate it if you would provide the email address and title of "Walmart Customer Care" - or at least as much documentation/ID as you can. That will give us all a resource to go back to should we ever find ourselves in a situation regarding WAlMart and OC.

4 - The fact that you are posting on April 1st has no bearing on my request for additional info on the identity/email address of WalMart Customer Care. Really it doesn't.

stay safe.

skidmark

"He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit