• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Turkey hunter kills fellow hunter

Hawaii FiveO

imported post

I read recently that a hunter shot another after mistaking movement in field. He though it was a turkey and killed his partner with a shot to the head.

Article further states that turkey hunters weal camouflage, unlike other hunters that wear bright clothing.

I don't' know where this happened. It was in a paper I was reading yesterday.

heliopolissolutions

imported post

Its always tragic when some numbskull hears a noise and point-shoots without verifying target.

Because hunters safety is lame, right guys?

markm

imported post

heliopolissolutions wrote:
Its always tragic when some numbskull hears a noise and point-shoots without verifying target.

Because hunters safety is lame, right guys?

Hey,

I was hunting and had another hunter behind a nice 3 point buck. I saw his orange hat bobbing up and down over the deer's back. Needless to say, I started breathing again, removed the 4 lbs. of trigger pull I had applied, and pointed my gun skyward.

I was using a 7mm magnum. The deer was at 60 yards. The other hunter was at 80 yards. I was in heavy timber.

I could have been a guy named "Dick".

And no, the other hunter never saw me or the deer. The other hunter practically walked right into me.

markm

heliopolissolutions

imported post

You didn't take the shot because he was standing 20 yard away from a deer? Thank god. 7mm doesn't f-around.

Why in lords name was he 20 yards without taking a shot!? I hope he didn't since you and he were apparently in similar planes.

Noones perfect, I certainly have had lapses in judgment that endangered others.

I've also had others' lapses nearly kill me:

Negligent dischage of .410 at 30 yards, shredded favorite jacket and scarred up chest. Thank god the shot didn't weld.

camsoup

imported post

Hawaii FiveO wrote:
I read recently that a hunter shot another after mistaking movement in field. He though it was a turkey and killed his partner with a shot to the head.

Article further states that turkey hunters weal camouflage, unlike other hunters that wear bright clothing.

I don't' know where this happened. It was in a paper I was reading yesterday.

It was near Paynes Creek. I heard the call go out on the scanner for a gunshot wound. Very tragic indeed.

I read the article originally in the Redding Record Searchlight, it has sense been in the Daily news and Chico ER.

markm

imported post

heliopolissolutions wrote:
You didn't take the shot because he was standing 20 yard away from a deer? Thank god. 7mm doesn't f-around.

Why in lords name was he 20 yards without taking a shot!? I hope he didn't since you and he were apparently in similar planes.

Noones perfect, I certainly have had lapses in judgment that endangered others.

I've also had others' lapses nearly kill me:

Negligent dischage of .410 at 30 yards, shredded favorite jacket and scarred up chest. Thank god the shot didn't weld.

Hey Heliopolissolutions,

I did not take the shot because I saw his orange hat in the top of my scope--his hat wasbobbing up-and-down over the top of thebuck's back. Thehunter in my scope crested a rise after hiking up a steep slope just as I had applied 80% trigger pull. He did not take the shot because heneversaw the deer. He made me show him thetracks and fresh scat from the deers path.

I remained perfectly still after pointing my gun skyward and clicking the safety back on. He kept walking (crashing through the woods is more like it) and whenhe got within five feet of meIsaid "HEY"! He nearly dropped a load in his pants. The deer knew that the guy had cotton between his ears and slowly walked off into thick brush while watching him the whole time.

I was still-hunting whenI found the deer and stalked it. I was in the Stanislaus NF.

markm

heliopolissolutions

imported post

MarkBofRAdvocate wrote:
Hey Heliopolissolutions,

I did not take the shot because I saw his orange hat in the top of my scope--his hat wasbobbing up-and-down over the top of thebuck's back. Thehunter in my scope crested a rise after hiking up a steep slope just as I had applied 80% trigger pull. He did not take the shot because heneversaw the deer. He made me show him thetracks and fresh scat from the deers path.

I remained perfectly still after pointing my gun skyward and clicking the safety back on. He kept walking (crashing through the woods is more like it) and whenhe got within five feet of meIsaid "HEY"! He nearly dropped a load in his pants. The deer knew that the guy had cotton between his ears and slowly walked off into thick brush while watching him the whole time.

I was still-hunting whenI found the deer and stalked it. I was in the Stanislaus NF.

markm

I hope you didn't think I was being disparaging. That was nearly a seriously f-d up situation.

You are fortunate to have a slow and even trigger pull. I imagine you were pretty angry with him, I can't imagine how someone out hunting could have so little awareness of his surroundings. Then again, I guess it wasn't exactly his fault, more of a wrong place, wrong time.

Ugh.

markm

imported post

Hey helio...

I was not mad. I was very happy that I did not kill the deer because if my Sierra 140 Grain SP-FB bullet had not expanded and discharged its energy in the deer, I may have been found guilty of manslaughter in a worst case scenario.

Also,experiencingall types of peopleis what happens when you hunt on public land.

Oh well!

markm

Edit: No, I did not think you were being disparaging!

heliopolissolutions

imported post

Speaking of public land...

I worry less about hunters and bizzare line ups like that, then I do about the 19-24 year olds that roll out BLM land and haphazardly shoot into the woods to skip range fees. Scares the game and can kill folks.

Ca Patriot

imported post

I just cant believe that stories like these keep happening. Hunters, like people in general, are just not using common sense.

I have hunted all my life and I refuse to believe that a sober person cant tell the difference between a turkey and human being.

zach

imported post

The worst part of that story is that it was a group hunt. They all knew there were at least 4 other hunters in the area.

You can't fix stupid.

As an ex-SoCal residents, I was in that situation many time turkey and deer hunting. Especially on opening day.