• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Should I get an OC holster for my M&P that fits my laser/light, or no?

Big_Grumpy

imported post

I touched on this in the Wisconsin forums. I have a full size Smith and Wesson M&P .45 that I primarily use as a home defense and range gun. I also have a TLR-2 mounted on it for HD purposes. I'd like to get a holster.

My question is that if I decide to open carry the weapon, should I take the light off and get a "regular" holster, or should I leave the light on and get a holster that accomodates the light?

I'm kind of leaning towards getting a holster with a light provision, because I'm thinking thatsince it is primarily a HD gun, when I go to the range I would want to practice with the light system on and become as proficient as I can with the gun/light combo.

On the other hand, we're talking added weight and "clumsiness" if I carry with the light attached.

I'm not sure which way to go. Looking for opinions.

Thanks!

Edit: Here's a pic. of the combo:

384382172.jpg

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

NO.

I have a TLR for my Sig. It is on the bedstand and I put it on at night.

I have a regular holster for OC. No added attention when I am in the field. A black gun, black holster, thumb break retention. Well dressed, well behaved.

IMG_0244.jpg

IMG_0243.jpg

Big_Grumpy

imported post

Cool. I just learned that there are also Wisconsin Statutes that prohibit using a laser pointer in any threatening manner, too. (Thanks Master Doug Huffman!)

So it looks like a "regular" holster it is. I guess I'll just stuff the gun with the light in the range bag when I go there.

Thanks!

BTW, is that a Safariland "plain"? That's exactly the type of holster I am looking for.

GoldCoaster

imported post

I too have a full size M&P with a blackhawk serpa holster for it. I chose to get the Laserlyte rear-sight replacement laser. It doesn't interfere with the holster at all. Projects a pretty decent brightness red dot too, $144 on ebay so a search for laserlyte m&P.

Big_Grumpy

imported post

The Serpas are neat, but in my PC state, I think I want to cover up the weapon as much as I can and keep it unimposing. I couldn't find a Blackhawk that fits the bill, but I found a Safariland http://www.safariland.com/DutyGear/product.aspx?pid=6287
that looks like it'd be nice.

Like I said there are statutes against using lasers in a threatening way here. The law could interpret a laser mount being a threat. Sure you may defend yourself with a gun, but not with a laser on it... at least that's my possible interpretation of it.

Ian

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

Big_Grumpy wrote:
Cool. I just learned that there are also Wisconsin Statutes that prohibit using a laser pointer in any threatening manner, too. (Thanks Master Doug Huffman!)

So it looks like a "regular" holster it is. I guess I'll just stuff the gun with the light in the range bag when I go there.

Thanks!

BTW, is that a Safariland "plain"? That's exactly the type of holster I am looking for.
Dude, if you draw down on someone, I'm sure that using a laser pointer in a threatening manner won't matter because you will be in fear of serious bodily injury or death.

groovedrummer

imported post

Ian wrote:
Sorry man but I don't think there's any holster out there that fits the TLR-2, it's just too wide man. I had the exact same light. I now have just the TLR-1 light only, but I'm thinking about doing this combo below. The only thing is you have to have that specific light for it to fit.

http://www.opticsplanet.net/blackhawk-level-3-serpa-holster-light-combo-44h6.html
Ya and it sets the light way off the center line of the gun...I understand that it needs to clear the serpa lock but I think that there are better options out there in level 3 retention that accommodate a standard light.