Thread: Public buildings

Post Public buildings

I can't find anything in the Nevada Revised statutes outlawing open carry in public buildings, except for schools and child care centers. So I started looking locally.

Reno Administrative Code:

Sec. 8.12.160. - Courthouse security.

(a)
    No person shall enter or remain upon the premises of the Reno Municipal Court while in possession of a weapon or instrumentality capable of being used as a dangerous weapon.

Wouldn't the state pre-emption (emphasis added) smack down the Reno code if the court goonstried to use it to prevent you from entering with a firearm?

NRS 244.364 Limited authority to regulate firearms; restrictions concerning registration of certain
    firearms in county whose population is 400,000 or more.
    1. Except as otherwise provided by specific statute, the Legislature reserves for itself such rights and powers as are necessary to regulate the transfer, sale, purchase, possession, ownership, transportation, registration and licensing of firearms and ammunition in Nevada, and no county may infringe upon those rights and powers.

Activist Member

Post imported post

It should theoretically.

Reno court security web page (emphasis mine):

All weapons such as mace, knives, guns, and any other object that could be construed as a dangerous weapon (i.e., small hand tools such as screwdrivers) will be confiscated and retained by court security personnel until the individual exits the building.

I was at Sparks Justice Court today and asked the door security person, "What do you do when someone open carries a firearm in here?"

Answer: "Well I'd just turn them back around and out the door."

An exchange followed about nebulous "rules," NRS, courthouse rules, etc. You know, essentially, "You can't do that." The second person joined in, "Even law enforcement can't carry firearms in here."

"Too bad for them. Good thing I'm not law enforcement."

This is a bridge to be crossed at another time.

Campaign Veteran
    About a month ago, I went into the Clark County court. I was the last one in line waiting to go through the metal detector. A young lady comes in the attorney only door, realizes she's in the wrong line and ducks under the ropes to get behind me at her proper place in line.

The female deputy was on a power trip and ordered her to EXIT the building and come back in the proper door. She argued saying she didn't cut in front of anyone, etc. etc. I remember shaking my head and saying something "f*'n idiot cops on a power trip".

The cop insisted once again that the young lady exit and come back in the correct door. So she did. And she got right back behind me in line.

If this is the kind of crap that happens, good luck getting your gun in, even though it is quite arguably legal.