• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Got it back, FINALLY!!!!!

ConfederateSoul

imported post

Hey, everyone. Sorry I have been gone for so long. Seeing as I was legally inhibited as to what I could and could not say, I thought it better to just lay low. However, all my troubles are in the past and my Kimber is home safely. Thanks so much to everyone who contributed to my defense and helped bring this sad chapter in my life to an end. Looking forward to seeing everyone when I can!

Spartacus

Banned
imported post

ConfederateSoul wrote:
Hey, everyone. Sorry I have been gone for so long. Seeing as I was legally inhibited as to what I could and could not say, I thought it better to just lay low. However, all my troubles are in the past and my Kimber is home safely. Thanks so much to everyone who contributed to my defense and helped bring this sad chapter in my life to an end. Looking forward to seeing everyone when I can!
Hey CS. Perhaps now you could fill us in on the details of your case?

ConfederateSoul

imported post

there really aren't a whole lot of details to give. I mistakenly wandered into a no-carry school zone(unmarked and several blocks from the actual school) and was arrested. My gun was confiscated as evidence(arresting oficer was a complete gentleman,no thug behavior or condesencion at all) and it took me almost a year and over $2,000 to get it back. I'd be happy to answer any specific questios you might have.

M

McX

imported post

congrats guy! they didn't hack it up, or mark it up did they?

ConfederateSoul

imported post

no, after finding out the value the arresting officer took extra care with it. there were probably 6 or 7 wire ties securing it in the evidence box when I picked it up. I haven't had opportunity to shoot it yet but I cycled the action to check it for function. I thought maybe my extractor was broken as it would not eject an unfired magtech 230 grn round nose cartridge. The round would jam in the ejection port horizontally. I tried again with a 165 grn corbon pow'r ball and that round ejected with authority so I believe the problem was ammo related,not firearm related.

M

McX

imported post

c'mon confederate soul! give us the juicy details! did you get to testify? did they try to lie through their teeth? no need to mention amounts- did they have to pay out? did you get an appology?

ConfederateSoul

imported post

there was no testimony given nor any 'juicy details' to divulge. I was able to enter into a deferred prosecution arrangement with the DA. After completeing a checklist of items, chief among them that I complete a firearms safety course, my case essentially "went away". Needing to take a course,I earned a Minnesota permit to carry certificate. Now that I am fully out from under the thumb of the law I can go cash that in and get my license.

across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsi
imported post

ConfederateSoul wrote:
I earned a Minnesota permit to carry certificate.... I can go cash that in and get my license.
God only knows
God makes his plan
The information's unavailable
To the mortal man
We work our jobs
Collect our pay
Believe we're gliding down the highway
When in fact we're slip slidin' away

Slip slidin' away
Slip slidin' away
You know the nearer your destination
The more you're slip slidin' away

AaronS

imported post

ConfederateSoul wrote:
there was no testimony given nor any 'juicy details' to divulge. I was able to enter into a deferred prosecution arrangement with the DA. After completeing a checklist of items, chief among them that I complete a firearms safety course, my case essentially "went away". Needing to take a course,I earned a Minnesota permit to carry certificate. Now that I am fully out from under the thumb of the law I can go cash that in and get my license.

Well sounds like a very odd arrangement for sure. Nice to see that it did work out for you in the end. I can't say that I agree 100% with this "arrangement", but I guess it sure is better then jail time...

So, safe to guess I will be able to see this fabled Kimber 1911 at the next highway clean up?

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

Confederate Soul,

Maybe you could take a few seconds to explain what happened and how it all took place?

I am not trying to be a dick by bringing this up, but If I remember correctly you did actually break a law or two which lead to your arrest and charging.

Maybe you could speak about where and how you screwed up so others do not make these same mistakes.
I believe there was illegal transportation involved, and possibly a school zone infraction too.

One other very relevant point is how the police approached you, the questions they had asked, and what you had told them when you mistakenly thought that you had broken no laws.
I feel that a discussion about your experiences may help others realize why it isusuallya bad idea to talk to the police no matter how innocent you think you are without an attorney present.
I think you may have provided the police their own best evidence to convict you by telling them what you had done, and if this conversation would have not taken place, they would have had zero reason to arrest you and confiscate your firearm.

Are you comfortable speaking about this? If not, I can delete this entire post if you would like.

Thanks,..

ConfederateSoul

imported post

not really sure how much information there really is that I can offer. The long and short of it was that I took my dogs for a walk and when I reached a certain cross streets I was in the boundries of a school zone. I didn't realize that I was in a GFSZ and was honestly kind of shocked when the officer informed me that I was. I knew my options were limited and chose to simply be as polite and cooperative as I could. All in all, I believe the DA felt jail time would be inappropriate to the circumstances and offered me a course of education instead. I took a training course so the state felt I was able to safely handle a firearm and eventualy returned my gun. Now if you want to ask me a specific question maybe I could give you an answer more suiting to your tastes.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

ConfederateSoul wrote:
not really sure how much information there really is that I can offer. The long and short of it was that I took my dogs for a walk and when I reached a certain cross streets I was in the boundries of a school zone. I didn't realize that I was in a GFSZ and was honestly kind of shocked when the officer informed me that I was. I knew my options were limited and chose to simply be as polite and cooperative as I could. All in all, I believe the DA felt jail time would be inappropriate to the circumstances and offered me a course of education instead. I took a training course so the state felt I was able to safely handle a firearm and eventualy returned my gun. Now if you want to ask me a specific question maybe I could give you an answer more suiting to your tastes.
Did the cop make contact with you during the time you were in the school zone, or did they contact you later at your home?
I thought someone had originally called the police on you, but by the time the policehad shown up, you were no longer at that location, so they showed up at your home to ask you questions, and do their investigation which started withthe person who made the MWAG call.

I remember reading what had happened when you made you first post about it, and by the urging of me, and a few others we suggested you delete your story because it could have been used as evidence against you.

ConfederateSoul

imported post

contact was made in the school zone. I was allowed to take my dogs home and then turn my self in at the police station for booking.