• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First Friday Flagstaff

paintsnow

imported post

Would OC be ok?

Its a public event, ive never been to it before though, and ive head that some art galleries give out free alcohol along with food (obviously alcohol only to those over 21). Does that mean they have a liquor license?

Im having a hard time finding any info about this. I seem to recall reading something about festivals and parades having liquor licenses, which would require a CC permit, but i cant find anything about First Friday falling under that.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Also, if any of the local guys want to meet up and go shooting sometime, im overdue for some range time.

TylerEMT

imported post

I hate to OC downtown... I just avoid it if at all possiable. But if I were to OC on artwalk, I'd just not go into any galerries. I believe they do have to get a liquoir license to serve alcohol, but there license is limited to only consume on premisis (They can't sell it).

paintsnow

imported post

Why do you hate carrying downtown? I have yet to have a problem with it. I just have never been to first friday and am not sure about entering any place that has a liquor license.

GWbiker

imported post

TylerEMT wrote:
Too many people too close to my gun...

Hmmm, never thought of that and I OC in crowded stores and in downtown Tucson. Never had someone try to grab my gun or get spooked.

Why not try using a black leather retention holster for your black handgun and carry cross draw on a black belt.

Most people won't even see it and when you pass thru a crowd just rest your elbow against the holster.

OPEN CARRY is a "right" in Arizona.......use it or lose it.

paintsnow

imported post

I use either a black leather IWB holster with a thumb snap, or a OWB black nylon holster with active retention on the trigger guard. My gun is all black. I love the cocobolo grips i have for it, but they seem too nice to mess up, and do make it stand out more.

Ive noticed that very few people notice, and i carry between 3 and 4:30.

My firearm instructor had a great point about cross draw, which i fully agree with. If the assailant is in close range, and you reach your arm across your body to draw, they can pin your arm to your body and keep you from drawing. When the gun is on your strong side, you can put one arm out and turn so that your strong side is facing away and out of reach.

I find it surprising how many people carry cross draw. Do they not think of this or just figure its not a big deal? I understand that drawing at that close of a range isnt always a good idea, and he is a police officer, so im sure he is in situations where that is a possibility more often, but i still think its an option i wouldnt want to loose just in case.