• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Got to love children

Uber_Olafsun

imported post

Well doing the daily dog walk there are a few girls that are totally in love with the pup so when I see two of them and their family I know I have to stop for play time. The one girl who is Junior high or elementary (getting too old to tell) see my Glock on my side and says "He's got a gun!" The funny thing the way she said it was basically cool he's got a gun. The first thing the mom said was good. Then the father looked at her and and reminded her what they were doing this weekend. They are going out to get a .22 so he can show them how to shoot. Gave him the info cards and this site so hopefully he will join. They just moved from Texas and seemed happy about VA laws.

Its amazing how much more people seem to be friendlier and more willing to talk when carrying. Maybe just an icebreaker excuse to start conversations?

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Another family joins the fold.:celebrate

Some day it will be the folks who don't have guns that will be the ones we are noticing as being "different".

stay safe.

skidmark

Uber_Olafsun

imported post

Considering how many military are in my complex I think most already feel it is normal to want to defend yourself. Many people do a double take then instead of asking why I am carrying it is more of what am I carrying.

:celebrate

richarcm

imported post

I find it amazing that Texas laws, considering the Wild West we are attempting to recreate, are worse than our own.

SoldierMedic

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

richarcm wrote:
I find it amazing that Texas laws, considering the Wild West we are attempting to recreate, are worse than our own. 

I read and reread your comment, and am still a little confused as to your point. Texas gun laws are indeed more restrictive than Virginia's, but it was my impression that the "Wild West" mythology of lesse faire firearms laws was largely just that: myth. Not to nitpick, but could you clarify your point?

Uber_Olafsun

imported post

SoldierMedic wrote:
richarcm wrote:

I read and reread your comment, and am still a little confused as to your point. Texas gun laws are indeed more restrictive than Virginia's, but it was my impression that the "Wild West" mythology of lesse faire firearms laws was largely just that: myth. Not to nitpick, but could you clarify your point?
In Yoda Voice," The Sarcasm detection not strong in this one"

Seriously though the wild west lie is just that a lie. When people considered guns a tool and people had more common courtesy and manners. Back when your word was a contract. Some small towns are still like that. Where my father lives in Iowa people leave their keys in the cars and unlocked and no problems. Freaked my wife out when we went to visit.

All American Nightmare

imported post

Uber_Olafsun wrote:
SoldierMedic wrote:
richarcm wrote:

In Yoda Voice," The Sarcasm detection not strong in this one"

Seriously though the wild west lie is just that a lie. When people considered guns a tool and people had more common courtesy and manners. Back when your word was a contract. Some small towns are still like that. Where my father lives in Iowa people leave their keys in the cars and unlocked and no problems. Freaked my wife out when we went to visit.
Sounds like a good place to live.