• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

DiGiacinto v. The Rector and Vistors of George Mason University

The Donkey

imported post

[align=left]"Maniacs intent on killing as many people as possible are likely to choose a target-rich environment where victimswill be unable to defend themselves. Allowing law-abiding individuals to choose an effective means of self-defense, and publicizing this change to the regulation, could make this kind of tragedy less likely."[/align]
[align=left]Sounds like NRA has been reading OCDO. . . .[/align]

TFred

imported post

STATEMENT OF PARTIES’ CONSENT TO FILE AMICUS CURIAE BRIEF

All parties have consented in writing to the filing of this amicus curiae brief. Rudolph DiGiacinto consented on behalf of the appellant. Steve McCullough, Senior Appellate Counsel in the Office of the Attorney General, consented on behalf of the appellee. This brief is filed in support of appellant in that it seeks reversal of the judgment below.
That's an interesting paragraph. Do the parties have the ability to reject a brief like this?

TFred

nova

imported post

Shawn wrote:
I think you guys will like the NRA brief....to bad they don't file one like this in the other 43 states that have a rkba provision.

http://www.virginia1774.org/DiGiacintovGMU_NRAAmicus.pdf
thanks for bumping this up.

The Heller Court stated in dicta that “forbidding the carrying of firearms in sensitive places such as schools and government buildings” is a “presumptively lawful regulatory measure.” 128 S. Ct. at 2817. This reference was unnecessary to the holding of the case, and “cannot be read to relieve the government of its burden of justifying laws that restrict Second Amendment rights.” United States v. Skoien, 587 F.3d 803, 805 (7th Cir. 2009), reh’g granted by United States v. Skoien, No. 08-3770, 2010 WL 1267262 (7th Cir. Feb. 22, 2010). Moreover, it is clear that college buildings are not the kind of specialized government buildings, such as the Governor’s mansion or the state legislative chambers, to which the dictum refers. Nor is a college campus a school full of young children as the reference to schools presumably refers. Defendant’s Opening Brief describes in 21 detail the minors that may be present on campus, yet provides no evidence that this regulation is necessary to protect them. See Def. Open. Br. 9. Defendant states that freshmen under the age of eighteen, elementary and high school summer campers, and minor children with their families, are often present in campus buildings and at special events. See id. at 9-10. Nowhere does Defendant explain why children are more likely to be present (or guns likely to be more dangerous) in these locations relative to areas like the public streets, sidewalks, and lawns of campus, where guns are currently allowed. Presumably, to get into these buildings and events, the children would have had to traverse some of the open areas of campus. This kind of loose decision to regulate one area but not another may suffice in most contexts, but not when strict scrutiny is used to evaluate the infringement of a fundamental right.5
The bolded lines are what we've been saying all along. Colleges aren't K-12 schools, these aren't "government buildings" anymore than the DMV or ABC stores are, and people/guns are no more dangerous carrying in classrooms and dining halls than they are at Walmart or McDonalds.

For example, persons with a Concealed Handgun Permit could be exempted.
I didn't like this line, because I don't like special exemptions for permit holders. However, I'd still support it because it is still better than the current regulation, and wouldn't be much different than the rule at the General Assembly Bldg. (though the two aren't near the same, the GAB has metal detectors, GMU doesn't, and won't, nor they should).

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I don't want to turn this thread into a discussion of the NRA's brief, but I did not care at all for this part from page 23:

[align=left]Intent to menace can be inferred from the circumstances, as demonstrated by the examples given in Defendant’s Opening Brief.
See id. A rejected student applicant or expelled student who wears a visible sidearm to meet with a dean could be removed from the premises immediately, because it is reasonable to presume that he is carrying for the purpose of intimidating the dean. By contrast, it would not be reasonable to presume that a man waiting for his girlfriend in a building lobby, or quietly doing research in the library, has any intent to intimidate others or commit an act of violence.[/align]

nova

imported post

Citizen wrote:
I don't want to turn this thread into a discussion of the NRA's brief, but I did not care at all for this part from page 23:

[align=left]Intent to menace can be inferred from the circumstances, as demonstrated by the examples given in Defendant’s Opening Brief. See id. A rejected student applicant or expelled student who wears a visible sidearm to meet with a dean could be removed from the premises immediately, because it is reasonable to presume that he is carrying for the purpose of intimidating the dean. By contrast, it would not be reasonable to presume that a man waiting for his girlfriend in a building lobby, or quietly doing research in the library, has any intent to intimidate others or commit an act of violence.[/align]
Yeah, that's a load of crap. Isn't it already established in case law that simply carrying a firearm is not RAS?

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

nova wrote:
Citizen wrote:
SNIP (quote from NRA brief about menacing)
Yeah, that's a load of crap. Isn't it already established in case law that simply carrying a firearm is not RAS?

More precisely, brandishing is already established. Brandishing is the long- recognized legal threshold for inducing reasonable fear in another. It isn't being brandished if it is just being worn in a holster in everyday fashion.

Now, if the person called attention to it like opening his coat, or saying something like, "Either, I get admitted to the school or else (turns to show gun better). You get my drift?" That would be menacing.

Unless he was wearing a black holster and brown shoes. Then it would just be tasteless. :)

nova

imported post

Citizen wrote:
nova wrote:
Citizen wrote:
More precisely, brandishing is already established. Brandishing is the long- recognized legal threshold for inducing reasonable fear in another. It isn't being brandished if it is just being worn in a holster in everyday fashion.

Now, if the person called attention to it like opening his coat, or saying something like, "Either, I get admitted to the school or else (turns to show gun better). You get my drift?" That would be menacing.
As you said, that's already covered by current laws.

§ 18.2-282. Pointing, holding, or brandishing firearm, air or gas operated weapon or object similar in appearance; penalty.
A. It shall be unlawful for any person to point, hold or brandish any firearm or any air or gas operated weapon or any object similar in appearance, whether capable of being fired or not, in such manner as to reasonably induce fear in the mind of another or hold a firearm or any air or gas operated weapon in a public place in such a manner as to reasonably induce fear in the mind of another of being shot or injured.

Article1section23

imported post

nova wrote:
Citizen wrote:

[align=left]Intent to menace can be inferred from the circumstances, as demonstrated by the examples given in Defendant’s Opening Brief. See id. A rejected student applicant or expelled student who wears a visible sidearm to meet with a dean could be removed from the premises immediately, because it is reasonable to presume that he is carrying for the purpose of intimidating the dean. By contrast, it would not be reasonable to presume that a man waiting for his girlfriend in a building lobby, or quietly doing research in the library, has any intent to intimidate others or commit an act of violence.[/align]

[align=left]Yeah, that's a load of crap. Isn't it already established in case law that simply carrying a firearm is not RAS?[/align]
Yes, one out of Florida. I agree with both of you (except the license part of OC in Nova's other statement). I bet they (nra) hated to write this up allowing OC. That is why you see them making the statement about it being ok to make people get accw permit to OC. All they want is money.

They got it right on the level of review.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

nova wrote:
Citizen wrote:
nova wrote:
Citizen wrote:

§ 18.2-282. Pointing, holding, or brandishing firearm, air or gas operated weapon or object similar in appearance; penalty.
A. It shall be unlawful for any person to point, hold or brandish any firearm or any air or gas operated weapon or any object similar in appearance, whether capable of being fired or not, in such manner as to reasonably induce fear in the mind of another or hold a firearm or any air or gas operated weapon in a public place in such a manner as to reasonably induce fear in the mind of another of being shot or injured.
And, from the reverse angle, if it ain't being brandished, their fear isn't reasonable. Other clear examples of menacing excepted of course.

This sort of law probably goes back hundreds and hundreds of years, before firearms even. "Was his sword sheathed, Mrs. Timid?"

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Citizen wrote:
nova wrote:
Citizen wrote:
nova wrote:
Citizen wrote:

And, from the reverse angle, if it ain't being brandished, their fear isn't reasonable. Other clear examples of menacing excepted of course.
Their whole argument seems to be wanting to feel free from imagined threat.

That is an internal mental condition that has nothing to do with the acts of others - it is classic hoplophobia.

Its okay somewhere else but not here. :banghead:

Yata hey

TFred

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Their whole argument seems to be wanting to feel free from imagined threat.

That is an internal mental condition that has nothing to do with the acts of others - it is classic hoplophobia.

Its okay somewhere else but not here. :banghead:

Yata hey
See my PS to a post I made early in the current Harrisonburg Park thread:

* Just some added thoughts on this, after I posted... Adding blanket weapons prohibitions for places like parks, [schools, colleges,] etc, makes perfect sense - in the mind of a liberal. I've read that at highest levels, one of the main differences between liberals and conservatives is that liberals see the world as it could be, while conservatives see the world as it really is. So when a liberal puts up a sign that says "no firearms", what they see is a park where there will actually BE no firearms. When a conservative sees a sign that says "no firearms", they rightly realize that while the law-abiding citizens will not bring their firearms into the park, a criminal intent on law-breaking activity will still have a firearm, and will still conduct their planned activity, leaving the law-abiding citizens defenseless.

To the mind of a liberal, the policy, and the sign, describe the conditions they want for the park[, school, college, etc]. And I would even grant that except for transportation issues and other such practical matters, almost everyone, no matter their ideology, would be OK with a park with absolutely NO firearms. The difference is that one side lives in the real world, and the other lives in fantasy-land.

Very much the same.

TFred

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

TFred wrote:
I would even grant that except for transportation issues and other such practical matters, almost everyone, no matter their ideology, would be OK with a park with absolutely NO firearms. The difference is that one side lives in the real world, and the other lives in fantasy-land.
Can't go there TFred - still would be other lethal weapons in the world: knives, machetes, iron pipes. Now if we could get rid of all of the bad guys, maybe.........................nope thought about it - not gonna do it.:p

Yata hey

TFred

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
TFred wrote:
I would even grant that except for transportation issues and other such practical matters, almost everyone, no matter their ideology, would be OK with a park with absolutely NO firearms. The difference is that one side lives in the real world, and the other lives in fantasy-land.
Can't go there TFred - still would be other lethal weapons in the world: knives, machetes, iron pipes. Now if we could get rid of all of the bad guys, maybe.........................nope thought about it - not gonna do it.:p

Yata hey
Well, you can't pull your mind out of reality for long enough... :)

The point is, they believe they are creating a safe world with the sign... my conjecture is that many of us would be OK to participate in that imaginary safe world, if it were actually possible... :)

TFred

darthmord

imported post

TFred wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
TFred wrote:

Yata hey
Well, you can't pull your mind out of reality for long enough... :)

The point is, they believe they are creating a safe world with the sign... my conjecture is that many of us would be OK to participate in that imaginary safe world, if it were actually possible... :)

TFred

If such a world existed, I'd play. But as long as such fantasies exist within *THIS* world, I won't play. I'll still have a means to defend myself against those who don't want to follow the rules.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

If they can do it, so can you!:lol:

http://www.ammoland.com/2010/05/05/rmgo-lawsuit-against-gun-ban-wins/
Colorado - -(AmmoLand.com)- Today the CSU Board of Governor’s voted to rescind their illegal ban on concealed carry on campus.

“They didn’t have a legal leg to stand on,” said Dudley Brown, Executive Director of Rocky Mountain Gun Owners (RMGO). “We told them in January, in no uncertain terms, that state law did not allow them to create their own gun ban. Unfortunately, it took a lawsuit to force them to back down.”
RMGO filed suit against CSU’s Board of Governors on April 15th, proving that unelected board had no authority to override existing state law, which explicitly allows permit holders to carry on college campuses. A day later, a Colorado Appeals Court ruled against CU’s ban on carrying.

“This has been a good couple of weeks for law-abiding citizens who want to defend themselves on Colorado campuses, and a terrible week for criminals who assume no one is able to defend themselves on campuses,” Brown said. “We’re now going to track the policy of every secondary education campus in the state — every community college, every university, all of them — and file suit against those who attempt to violate Colorado law.”

“The citizens, students and faculty at these facilities should thank the members and donors of Rocky Mountain Gun Owners, the organization responsible for correcting these errant bureaucrats, and Students for Concealed Carry on Campus, who put a lot of hard work into this battle.”
Thanks again for your efforts. It's a shame it's too late to include this with your filings. It would have been a great addition to the case.

* edit: re-read the brief and found a citation to the case. Rather than delete the whole post I'll just edit my comment to say there is a growing body of case law supporting the position being taken.

stay safe.

skidmark

aadvark

imported post

Mr. DiGiacinto:

Seems to me the only Law under Virginia Code that would bar possesion of Firearms on School Property would be 18.2-308.1.

'School', per this Code, means any: [Public, Private, Religious] Elementary, Middle, High School, for Primary or Secondary Education, under Virginia Law Title 22.1.

In accordance with Virginia Law 15.2-915, Virginia Law supercedes any such regulation by GMU, it being a Higher Institution of Learning, not being applicable to Virginia Code 18.2-308.1.

As to why the Fairfax Circuit Court did not grant your request to invalidate GMU's Ordinance, which stands contrary to 15.2-915, is beyond me, however; I trust that The Virginia Supreme Court will fix that matter.

As stated on page 4, of the 2009 George Mason University Police Department Policy Handbook, governing Student/Visitor Conduct on GMU Property, Weapons are forbidden. Clearly, this prohibition runs afoul with Virginia Law 15.2-915.

Is not it ironic that The GMU Police so vehemetly cite Virginia Law relating to Alcohol, Drugs, and Sexual Assault so studiously, yet refuse to do so with Weapons?

§ 15.2-1425. Actions by localities.

The governing body of every locality in the performance of its duties, obligations and functions may adopt, as appropriate, ordinances, resolutions and motions.

(1997)

§ 15.2-915 Control of firearms; applicability to authorities and local governmental agencies.

A. No locality shall adopt or enforce any ordinance, resolution or motion, as permitted by15.2-1425, and no agent of such locality shall take any administrative action, governing the purchase, possession, transfer, ownership, carrying, storage or transporting of firearms, ammunition, or components or combination thereof other than those expressly authorized by statute. For purposes of this section, a statute that does not refer to firearms, ammunition, or components or combination thereof, shall not be construed to provide express authorization.

Nothing in this section shall prohibit a locality from adopting workplace rules relating to terms and conditions of employment of the workforce. Nothing in this section shall prohibit a law-enforcement officer, as defined in 9.1-101 from acting within the scope of his duties.

The provisions of this section applicable to a locality shall also apply to any authority or to a local governmental entity, including a department or agency, but not including any local or regional jail or juvenile detention facility.

B. Any local ordinance, resolution or motion adopted prior to the effective date of this act governing the purchase, possession, transfer, ownership, carrying or transporting of firearms, ammunition, or components or combination thereof, other than those expressly authorized by statute, is invalid.

(1987, c. 629,15.1-29.15; 1988, c. 392; 1997, cc. 550, 587; 2002, c. 484; 2003, c. 943; 2004, cc. 837, 923.)

Last time I checked..., unless I am mistaken..., HB 1271 failed in The Militia, Police, and Public Safety Committee during the Virginia 2010 Legislative Session. This Bill would have allowed this regulation permissable, however; it failed through Vote.

NightmareSHANIQUA

Haymarket/Gainesville/Arlington/GMU , Virginia, US
imported post

aadvark wrote:
Mr. DiGiacinto:

Seems to me the only Law under Virginia Code that would bar possesion of Firearms on School Property would be 18.2-308.1.

'School', per this Code, means any: [Public, Private, Religious] Elementary, Middle, High School, for Primary or Secondary Education, under Virginia Law Title 22.1.

In accordance with Virginia Law 15.2-915, Virginia Law supercedes any such regulation by GMU, it being a Higher Institution of Learning, not being applicable to Virginia Code 18.2-308.1.

As to why the Fairfax Circuit Court did not grant your request to invalidate GMU's Ordinance, which stands contrary to 15.2-915, is beyond me, however; I trust that The Virginia Supreme Court will fix that matter.

As stated on page 4, of the 2009 George Mason University Police Department Policy Handbook, governing Student/Visitor Conduct on GMU Property, Weapons are forbidden. Clearly, this prohibition runs afoul with Virginia Law 15.2-915.

Is not it ironic that The GMU Police so vehemetly cite Virginia Law relating to Alcohol, Drugs, and Sexual Assault so studiously, yet refuse to do so with Weapons?

§ 15.2-1425. Actions by localities.

The governing body of every locality in the performance of its duties, obligations and functions may adopt, as appropriate, ordinances, resolutions and motions.

(1997)

§ 15.2-915 Control of firearms; applicability to authorities and local governmental agencies.

A. No locality shall adopt or enforce any ordinance, resolution or motion, as permitted by15.2-1425, and no agent of such locality shall take any administrative action, governing the purchase, possession, transfer, ownership, carrying, storage or transporting of firearms, ammunition, or components or combination thereof other than those expressly authorized by statute. For purposes of this section, a statute that does not refer to firearms, ammunition, or components or combination thereof, shall not be construed to provide express authorization.

Nothing in this section shall prohibit a locality from adopting workplace rules relating to terms and conditions of employment of the workforce. Nothing in this section shall prohibit a law-enforcement officer, as defined in 9.1-101 from acting within the scope of his duties.

The provisions of this section applicable to a locality shall also apply to any authority or to a local governmental entity, including a department or agency, but not including any local or regional jail or juvenile detention facility.

B. Any local ordinance, resolution or motion adopted prior to the effective date of this act governing the purchase, possession, transfer, ownership, carrying or transporting of firearms, ammunition, or components or combination thereof, other than those expressly authorized by statute, is invalid.

(1987, c. 629,15.1-29.15; 1988, c. 392; 1997, cc. 550, 587; 2002, c. 484; 2003, c. 943; 2004, cc. 837, 923.)

Last time I checked..., unless I am mistaken..., HB 1271 failed in The Militia, Police, and Public Safety Committee during the Virginia 2010 Legislative Session. This Bill would have allowed this regulation permissable, however; it failed through Vote.
:what:Holy cow.

nova

imported post

The problem is that state agencies (which VA public universities are) are not "localities" under that law.

That doesn't mean they can ban guns, but it means that preemption doesn't apply since they are part of the state government and not a local government.