• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New to OC in KY......tips and what do I need to know.

jkestner3

imported post

Dont remember how I came across this site but Iam so glad I did. Have just been reading through all the forums for about two weeks now nonstop, and I love reading about other people standing up for their 2ndA rights and I want to start to do it too.

I am 22 and I will be OC mostly in the Hopkinsville/Oak Grove area and in Paintsville and surrounding areas when I am home. Hoptown area cause I am in the Army stationed at Ft.Campbell and Paintsville cause thats where I am from. I have been reading up on the laws just from what I read on here and the links everyone provides. Where can I go to look and read up on all the KY laws pertaining to OC? And just tips from pple who have carried in these areas.

I'll be carrying a Kimber Pro Crimson Carry II and hve a Fobus paddle holster. Dont have my CCDW license yet but will be getting it next month whenI have more free weekends.

I am also going to be in Paintville this wekendand have thought about embarking on my first OC trip in to town

Thanks everyone for any help and advice. I will greatly appreciate it

jkestner3

imported post

cool. thanks for that . it answered a few questions I had. And another question raised by reading the rest of those posts on that forum, is OC legal in state parks?

langzaiguy

imported post

OC is legal in KY state parks. What is in question at the moment is a unconstitutional regulation stipulating no carry in nature preserves.

Other than that, OC is legal everywhere except bars & schools.

Unfettered Might

imported post

langzaiguy wrote:
OC is legal in KY state parks. What is in question at the moment is a unconstitutional regulation stipulating no carry in nature preserves.

Other than that, OC is legal everywhere except bars & schools.
Legal in bars if it's unloaded, keep the clip in your pocket.

Legal on K-12 school property if it stays in your glove box.

Unfettered Might

imported post

langzaiguy wrote:
Unfettered's right. Thanks for clarifying.
No problem.

It's funny, not too long ago during my CCW class (still OC, nice to have, just in case), I told the class about the bar one and the instructor (ex Sheriffs deputy) was like "What?" Then he looked at the book and with quite a surprised look stated, "He's right".

He was truly shocked, as was I when I read it the first time.

Although if one were to go into a bar with a gun, I would strongly suggest not drinking.

jkestner3

imported post

Yes I OC'd in Paintsville this weekend. Just once on Saturday, I went in to Wal-Martget 2 boxes of 30-06 shells. I didnt have any problems...besides all the weird looks I got. O well. It felt good to exercise a right that is all too often forgotten about. Goin to a concealed carry class @ bluegrass indoor range in Louisville this weekend too.

O and I had read that about ur experience there before I was a member here..helped me take the plunge a little

jkestner3

imported post

@neurobladesWell when I know I am gonna be back in the Paintsville are I will send you a PM cause I think that would be pretty cool.

And the concealed carry class went well this weekend too..now just waiting toget my certificate so I can go home to the sheriffs office an finish up the process.

neuroblades

imported post

jkestner3 wrote:
@neurobladesWell when I know I am gonna be back in the Paintsville are I will send you a PM cause I think that would be pretty cool.

And the concealed carry class went well this weekend too..now just waiting toget my certificate so I can go home to the sheriffs office an finish up the process.
Same here, I did my class last Saturday and I'm waiting "patiently" at the moment.