• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Visiting Yosemite on a family vacation-Seeking advice

MS

imported post

Quick question-Will be visiting Yosemite and other sites in NoCal this summer for a family vacation and am wondering if I can bring Maggy (my .357 snubbie). Maybe in a lock box (steel with key lock, but pretty transportable). I know my CCW is no good in CA, but am wondering about how strict/unreasonable park rangers may be, state troopers, etc. Should I stick with a big knife or pepper spray (will probably bring bear spray anyway) or can I bring Maggy in a box without worry of confiscation if stopped for traffic violationor other erroneous reason? Much appreciated,

Iopencarry

imported post

if unloaded and locked up, no problem. DO NOT CCW,(damm it anyway), If there is trouble of any kind, that just adds to it.

While in the Park, it will be ok to UOC unloaded open carry. expect for any builldings, and also need to watch out for the 1000' gun free school zone. As their is a school inside the Park.

Not allowed to enter a Fed building with any weapons. Not even the knife. They most likely will not say anything about the knife, but...

wewd

imported post

Until there is a better understanding whether or not federal discharge regulations are applicable to PC 12031, we only recommend UOC in National Parks at this time. Stay clear of the school in the valley (1000 foot rule), and do not carry into any buildings where federal employees are regularly present for their job. You should be OK to carry into a restroom, unless they have a full time attendant (not likely). Or just don't carry into any buildings. Use your own discretion.

markm

imported post

Hey MS,

I used to live in Tuolumne County and spent lots of time in Mariposa County. The Stanislaus NF borders Yosemetie NP to the west and north. During the gun ban on NPs, I occasionally was forced to lock up my gun and take a detour through the park because my horse and I could not negotiate downfall or wash-outs on the trails.It was definately illegal; however, I was discrete. On one occasion, I rode with a lady Park Ranger who was patrolling with her pack mule andhorse. She never knew I had secured Harry in my saddlebag.

Hunting, fishing, and plinking are prevalent on NF land that borders Yosemite. Tuolumne County and Mariposa County Sheriff's are familar with hunters, plinkers, and LOC/UOC on NF land. The Park Service did, and I believe still does, operate their police force under MOUs from the Tuolumne County and Mariposa County Sheriff's, respectively.

Have fun. Yosemite bears are easily scared off. I have had run-ins with many of them. Three incidents were at night. On one incident, the bear dropped a bigger load than I did at 2:00 am when I stumbled on it while it was sleeping on a trail.

No Griz here; we killed them all overa century ago. And I am happy about that.

Mountain lions are prevalent. If you have not been stalked by a mountain lion, you have not spent any time in the woods. My horse could smell them, and then I would find them. They are all over. The best weapon against a charging ML is a fishing pole. When swatted with the pole, they go into "lock-up" mode, literally. Their brains can't compute the situation.

The Hetch-Hetchyand lake Eleanor areas are beautiful. The valley is cool if you have never been there. Rent some horses or pack in. There used to be a pack station at Cherry Lake; it is probably still there. They would cross the dam and pack into Northern Yosemite.

markm

EDIT: The Emmigrant Wilderness in SNF is a prohibited shooting area. LOC only if you have a CDFG hunting license.