• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

RCW 9.41.300 1(a)

Stretch

imported post

(1) It is unlawful for any person to enter the following places when he or she knowingly possesses or knowingly has under his or her control a weapon:

(a) The restricted access areas of a jail, or of a law enforcement facility, or any place used for the confinement of a person (i) arrested for, charged with, or convicted of an offense, (ii) held for extradition or as a material witness, or (iii) otherwise confined pursuant to an order of a court, except an order under chapter 13.32A or 13.34 RCW. Restricted access areas do not include common areas of egress or ingress open to the general public;

I would like some opinions about this situation I was presented with today. I was CC'ing today and visited a family member who works for a local PD. In doing so, I was in the common areas and obviously legal in my possession of my weapon. A co-worker invited me to come back behind what I believe is a controlled area (behind a coded and secured door). I politely declined the offer but it did get me to wondering if there are EVER exceptions to the RCW?

If the local LEO is aware of my CC or OC for that matter, and I am still invited back, am I temporarily exempted from this RCW?

FMCDH

imported post

The law as written doesn't seem to give any wiggle room regarding permission granted to carry or not. I don't see any implicit exceptions.

That be said...

I would think, that as long as the station chief or duty officer knew and was ok with it, you would be fine, because the same people who are enforcing the law, are also the ones that would be saying it was ok.

If nothing else, you could ask it be secured in one of their firearm lockers or racks during your visit. Every station I have been in has a clearing barrel and a securing space.

You might also inquire if the space your about to enter is "restricted to the public" or just secured by policy for safety reasons.

Justsome thoughts.

joeroket

imported post

You missed the exception to the portion of .300 you posted.

(7) Subsection (1)(a) of this section does not apply to a person licensed pursuant to RCW 9.41.070 who, upon entering the place or facility, directly and promptly proceeds to the administrator of the facility or the administrator's designee and obtains written permission to possess the firearm while on the premises or checks his or her firearm. The person may reclaim the firearms upon leaving but must immediately and directly depart from the place or facility.

FMCDH

imported post

joeroket wrote:

(7) Subsection (1)(a) of this section does not apply to a person licensed pursuant to RCW 9.41.070 who, upon entering the place or facility, directly and promptly proceeds to the administrator of the facility or the administrator's designee and obtains written permission to possess the firearm while on the premises or checks his or her firearm. The person may reclaim the firearms upon leaving but must immediately and directly depart from the place or facility.

Ahh! Good catch Joe.

I knew there was some reason why the optionsI gave sounded right. Duh to me for not catching that.

Stretch

imported post

joeroket wrote:

HA! I completely missed that part! Thanks for answering!