• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Had to pull my weapon..

JesseL

imported post

Good job.

Now make sure you know what condition you keep your pistol in in the future and see that Jen gets a firearm and some training in how to use it.

*1911_man*

imported post

thank you.

Thats a very good idea, i normally dont like to have my 1911 cocked while i sleep, i guess i just forgot.

She was in the air force, and was trained with the beretta m9 9mm. So she knows how to use one, she just hasnt gotten one. I think she will now though. I hope so anyway.

March Hare

imported post

Wow.
I'm glad it turned out the way it did and everyone is safe.
I'm glad his gun was empty and you didn't have to go through everything that comes along with having to shoot another person.

It's one of those 'what if' situations that you can think about, plan for and practice, but until it happens, you never know what's going to happen.

Here's hoping it's the last time you have to go through that!

-MH

wewd

imported post

Like the officer said, you were completely justified in using deadly force, and you knew that which is why you pulled the trigger. Thankfully your mistake in not keeping your 1911 cocked and locked didn't turn into a deadly mistake for you and your friend. You were fortunate that his gun was not loaded because he would have had the drop on you. You and the bad guy were both lucky that night.

I'm glad everything worked out all right in the end, but your gun not going "bang" when you pulled the trigger really bothers me. That would probably give me more nightmares than the thought of taking a life in self defense. I hope I never have to be in a situation like that.

*1911_man*

imported post

Yeah i know, i think from now on my glock will be my bed side gun. It did really bother me, and still does. Although like he said, it was a good mistake, but it could have ended badly for me, or for the bad guy, im just thankful i got to come home, and that jen is safe and the bad guy is now in jail.

GF

imported post

Wow, I'm glad that everything went okay for you. Must of been a hell of a wake up call.

*1911_man*

imported post

thank you, im very happy about the outcome.

And yes, a BIG wake up call, im just glad i was there with her, otherwise who knows what could have happened. Tomorrow im going to install window locks and dead bolts on her house, and shes looking into getting an alarm company as well.

r6-rider

imported post

maybe its cause you spelled cylinder wrong:p

lol just kidding. you got pretty lucky man i know if i was in that situation it would of been a way different outcome. you should take that girl pistol shopping, and maybe to the range or something to get her familiar with firearms.

edit - oops i didnt see the post above about being familiar with berettas

*1911_man*

imported post

oh ok. im not much of a revolver person.

And yeah i plan to, for now im leaving my remington 870 tactical with her, it has a surefire light on it so shell be covered untill she gets one of her own

*1911_man*

imported post

not really, he was only about 20 feet from me, and the kitchen light is one of those true natural lights so it was bright enough to see through the holes

*1911_man*

imported post

do you mean in the news paper or something similar? if so and if i can find it ill definitely put it up, itll be less detailed since it will only be the brief police report type thing they put in the police beat.

DEFENSOR

imported post

Hey 1911,

No need to tell you how happy we all are that you survived the episode. I too am a big 1911 fan as well. and like you I also have a Glock, .45 of course. So if you don't mind my saying so, Glad the father was watching over you.

God Bless, Defensor

*1911_man*

imported post

Thank you very much Defensor, i appreciate that.

The 1911 is a great handgun, as are the glocks.
MY glock is the 40 cal. Would rather have a .45 but it is what it is.

jayspapa

imported post

I am also very glad everything worked out to the good for you that night. People never know for sure how they will deal with such a situation till confronted with the horror .

I do have one question though. Why do you not leave the 1911 cocked??? I just can't understand anyone owning a gun of any kind that they are afraid to carry with a round in the chamber , or are afraid of various other things about any certain gun.

By the way , that 1911 cocked and locked is just as safeas the Glock.