• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Had to pull my weapon..

imported post

1911_man:

You're still alive. That's good.

You're very, very lucky to have been up against a complete idiot. If he had been in any way competent, you would be dead (and her as well).

Do yourself a favor, and sign-up for some combat handgun training -- it will help improve skills (tremendously), and that will always help.

I'm not trying to be a dink, but I've seen too many good people end up dead in similar situations over the years. I'm thankful that you (and the young lady) are not among them.

Training, training, training. Practice,practice, practice. Mindset, mindset, mindset.

Front Sight is a good place for training. Gunsite (which I live just a few measly miles from) is as well. There are others.

Take care.

*1911_man*

imported post

thank you.

Thats actually a very good idea, not just for me, but for anyone who carries.

Also, To answer your question Jayspapa, i normally have a round in the chamber, cocked and locked, but i usually bring the hammer to half cock while im asleep.
Just as an extra safety precaution, its habit.
I guess my logic is the more steps it takes for an intruder to get my gun and use it against me, the better. I know, sounds stupid since theres a round in the chamber anyway. But thats just how ive always done it.

I believe all 3 of us were lucky, no one got hurt, and thats what matters to me.

Pace

imported post

Wow, I wouldn't have ever noticed that he didnt have his revolver loaded... that's the weirdest thing.

One thing they say is that in these situations you tend to notice things "after the fact" and remember them as happening then. Ie, the adrenaline running means you have issue with time.... who knows :)

Bookman

Campaign Veteran
Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States
imported post

I'm glad everyone is safe. And I know what you mean about being terrified when drawing on someone. It is NOT cool and it is not easy to go through. The one time I had to draw down on someone I shook off and on for a couple of hours afterward and had a nightmare or two where I actually shot and killed them. If you start having bad dreams or anything don't be afraid of talking to someone about it. It doesn't make you a wimp. It makes you human.

Ya did good!

kenpoprofessor

imported post

Bookman wrote:
I'm glad everyone is safe. And I know what you mean about being terrified when drawing on someone. It is NOT cool and it is not easy to go through. The one time I had to draw down on someone I shook off and on for a couple of hours afterward and had a nightmare or two where I actually shot and killed them. If you start having bad dreams or anything don't be afraid of talking to someone about it. It doesn't make you a wimp. It makes you human.

Ya did good!

Last time I drew down on a guy we were doing Bail Recovery, guy threatened to come after the owner with a shotgun. Didn't think anything about drawing on him or shooting him, I was more concerned with the fact I wasn't wearing any ear protection.

Have a great gun carryin' Kenpo day

Clyde

Armed4Life

imported post

I'm afraid I have to call BS on this one.I'm beginning to see a trendin these types of stories. Man has gun,confronts intruder, does not use gun...situation ends peacefully.Sound like one out of Hank T's playbook.

*1911_man*

imported post

Maybe youll make up a story for attention, but I WOULD NOT.
if you dont believe me, then good for you.
I told it how it happened, nothing more, nothing less

GWbiker

imported post

My opinion on OP story.....

"Jen" got her jaw broken and SHOULD have called Police and get ER treatment, also get restraining order against BF. Under new law BF probably would lose his gun/s.

Later, BF phones Jen to say he's coming over, Jen should phone Police again.

In other words, let the POLICE handle Jen's problem -- it's what they get paid for.

Oh, and teach Jen how to buy and use a gun.

*1911_man*

imported post

well she did get medical treatment for her jaw, and she said the reason she didnt report it was because she thought that would only make things worst.
Secondly, i agree on the text thing, i told her she should report it, but she is stubborn.

And i mentioned before she was in the air force, just long enough to get some basic training which included the use of the beretta m9, and some kind of ar-15 rifle, before she got discharged due to some knee injury or knee problem she was having.

I gave her my remington 870 until she has time to go and get a gun of her own.
Speaking of which, what do you guys recommend for her?
Price isnt a big issue, i just want her to have a reliable handgun that she feels comfortable shooting, i was thinking some kind of .380. She told me awhile back when i took her shooting she doesnt like "big" guns, as in big and heavy.

kenpoprofessor

imported post

GWbiker wrote:

"Jen" got her jaw broken and SHOULD have called Police and get ER treatment, also get restraining order against BF. Under new law BF probably would lose his gun/s.

In other words, let the POLICE handle Jen's problem -- it's what they get paid for.

When seconds count, the police are only minutes away. Police have no obligation to protect via SCOTUS Gonzales V Castle Rock.

So no, it's not their job and not what they get paid to do. They're paid to make arrests, serve warrants, investigate crimes, and keep the peace.

Have a great gun carryin' Kenpo day

Clyde

GWbiker

imported post

kenpoprofessor wrote:
GWbiker wrote:

When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.      Police have no obligation to protect via SCOTUS  Gonzales V Castle Rock.     

So no, it's not their job and not what they get paid to do.     They're paid to make arrests, serve warrants, investigate crimes, and keep the peace.

Have a great gun carryin' Kenpo day. Clyde

Police are also paid to prevent crime. First degree in use of force is PRESENCE.

That said, Jen reporting the assault to Police, seeking a protection order and reporting subsequent threat presents a paper trail which HELPS Jen if and when she shoots the Bastard should he invades her dwelling.

In a worse case court scene, an anti gun prosecuting attorney before a Grand Jury would ask Jen WHY she didn't contact Police about the assault and subsequent threats against her, before she shot the BF.

Armed4Life

imported post

*1911_man* wrote:
thank you.

Also, To answer your question Jayspapa, i normally have a round in the chamber, cocked and locked, but i usually bring the hammer to half cock while im asleep.
I guess my logic is the more steps it takes for an intruder to get my gun and use it against me, the better. I know, sounds stupid since theres a round in the chamber anyway. But thats just how ive always done it.

I believe all 3 of us were lucky, no one got hurt, and thats what matters to me.
Please specify the make and model of your 1911. A typical 1911 does not have a half-cock position when bringing the hammer down. All those with 1911's can verify this. Clear the pistol, rack the slide to set the hammer. The only way to drop the hammer is to pull the trigger with the palm safety depressed. The hammer drops completely. Again, I must call BS.

r6-rider

imported post

GWbiker - As much as I agree with you, some people just arent at the right level of mindset to deal withstuff like police and restraining orders (not saying shes incapable or anything.) IMO her order of procedure should of been - buy pistol, report assault, hope the police can help, then when he comes over to take her out she defends herself and ends the problem and further bettering society for taking out a s***bag.

But again, maybe she doesnt want the burden of killing/shooting someone on her mind or was just in a state of shock and didnt know what to do so she turned to 1911_man for help without going to the police because fear blocked good judgement.

Phoenix David

imported post

Well good thing nobody was hurt but I do have some comments and some things strike me as unusual.

First off Jen: She need to get a clue or you need to separate yourself from her. Her stupidity in not calling the police could have gotten you killed that night. You also displayed poor judgment by not having her stay somewhere else. When the “guy” entered the house and he pointed a black revolver at you after you had just woken up, adrenaline was pumping and presumable what would be less than ideal lighting and you were able in a split second while aiming your 1911 at him see into the cylinder of a black snub nosed revolver and determine that it was empty?
Why was your 1911 hammer down? Did you lower the hammer on a live round, which is very unsafe? Did you forget to load it? If you were in a situation where someone could come over and do damage I'd think that a reasonable person would ensure that his weapon was in the proper carry condition.
I know a lot of people that carry guns and have so for many many years, even some of us are ex LEO but we don't carry restraint devices with us, I find that odd.
So what police jurisdiction did that happen in and what is the incident number?

Phoenix David

imported post

*1911_man* wrote:
well she did get medical treatment for her jaw, and she said the reason she didnt report it was because she thought that would only make things worst.
Secondly, i agree on the text thing, i told her she should report it, but she is stubborn.

And i mentioned before she was in the air force, just long enough to get some basic training which included the use of the beretta m9, and some kind of ar-15 rifle, before she got discharged due to some knee injury or knee problem she was having.

Price isnt a big issue, i just want her to have a reliable handgun that she feels comfortable shooting, i was thinking some kind of .380. She told me awhile back when i took her shooting she doesnt like "big" guns, as in big and heavy.
Well when I was in the Air Force they did not give pistol training in BMTS, now some air crews and SF do get pistol training but not in BMTS

*1911_man*

imported post

Armed4Life wrote:
*1911_man* wrote:
thank you.

Please specify the make and model of your 1911. A typical 1911 does not have a half-cock position when bringing the hammer down. All those with 1911's can verify this. Clear the pistol, rack the slide to set the hammer. The only way to drop the hammer is to pull the trigger with the palm safety depressed. The hammer drops completely. Again, I must call BS.
It is a springfield TRP operator, in .45 acp, it DOES half a half cock when you let the hammer drop with your thumb on the hammer, i am aware alot of 1911's dont have this, but you can ask anyone with a TRP operator, they will tell you that you are wrong.

You are more than welcome to call BS if youd like, which obviously you do, and that is your right to do so. It all comes down to Trusting the word of another human being.
I have alot better things to do that make up a BS story. This is a forum called "Stories from the states", i shared my true, real life story, and if you decide not to believe it, then that is your choice.

*1911_man*

imported post

Phoenix David wrote:
*1911_man* wrote:

Well when I was in the Air Force they did not give pistol training in BMTS, now some air crews and SF do get pistol training but not in BMTS
I cant really say what she was doing in the air force, she just told me about how she went in, got some training, got training with a 223 ar type rifle, and the beretta m9, then got discharged. I dont believe she would make it up, since she knew not a thing about guns before she went in.

*1911_man*

imported post

Phoenix David wrote:
Well good thing nobody was hurt but I do have some comments and some things strike me as unusual.

First off Jen: She need to get a clue or you need to separate yourself from her. Her stupidity in not calling the police could have gotten you killed that night. You also displayed poor judgment by not having her stay somewhere else. When the “guy” entered the house and he pointed a black revolver at you after you had just woken up, adrenaline was pumping and presumable what would be less than ideal lighting and you were able in a split second while aiming your 1911 at him see into the cylinder of a black snub nosed revolver and determine that it was empty?
Why was your 1911 hammer down? Did you lower the hammer on a live round, which is very unsafe? Did you forget to load it? If you were in a situation where someone could come over and do damage I'd think that a reasonable person would ensure that his weapon was in the proper carry condition.
I know a lot of people that carry guns and have so for many many years, even some of us are ex LEO but we don't carry restraint devices with us, I find that odd.
So what police jurisdiction did that happen in and what is the incident number?
I agree with you on the stupidity of her not calling the police.
There was a live round in the gun, but i keep my 1911 on half cock, its safe in the fact that its not cocked so it cant go off, and the hammer is not completely down resting on the firing pin.

The reason i carry zip cuffs in my bag, is thanks to watching several youtube vids about how its good to have, in case of a similar situation, so i bought 4 pairs off an online store.

As for case number and jurisdiction, i dont have, i could get it i guess, but i really would rather not, as im sure its filled with both of our real names, which i do not feel to secure about.

IndianaBoy79

imported post

Armed4Life wrote:
I'm afraid I have to call BS on this one.I'm beginning to see a trendin these types of stories. Man has gun,confronts intruder, does not use gun...situation ends peacefully.Sound like one out of Hank T's playbook.
I think that's a bit out of line...at least without stating some specific reason not just based on your emotions.

On the other hand, we love having people cite and back up things they post. It wouldn't be rude in the least to ask for something to verify what he's saying. I wouldn't mind a police report or something to that effect...after all, it's public record now, right?