• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Had to pull my weapon..

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

jayspapa wrote:
I am also very glad everything worked out to the good for you that night. People never know for sure how they will deal with such a situation till confronted with the horror .

I do have one question though. Why do you not leave the 1911 cocked??? I just can't understand anyone owning a gun of any kind that they are afraid to carry with a round in the chamber , or are afraid of various other things about any certain gun.

By the way , that 1911 cocked and locked is just as safe as the Glock. 
I prefer the 1911 for a nightstand drawer to something without a manual safety.

That's an ideal example of when a manual safety is actually a really good idea.

Load the gun, and lock it. Then you can put it in the nightstand drawer without worrying about how you might grip it when you groggily pick it up!
:shock: Especially good for overnight at somebody else's house when there's no way to set up a bedside holster rig.

Just remember to train such that you automatically disable the thumb safety as you finish assuming the control grip (with a 1911 this should happen "naturally").

mFonz77

imported post

I'd like to see a reference to a police report or something else that can speak to the veracity of this story. It was posted Apr 2. So according to the post this happened April 1. Anytime a gun is displayed it is not an open-and-shut case. Ergo, to post this while an investigation is in progress, is, IMHO, idiotic. So, based on that, I gotta call BS/Troll.

Not to mention the whole part about "seeing that the revolver was unloaded" and then zip-tying the perp and using a pencil to pick up the revolver. That is just outright dumb and could lead to tampering with evidence charges.

brokenbarrel

imported post

wouldnt there be an investigation into how her jaw got broke in the first place?I dont know but usually if your not in car wreck or wearing a sports uniform injuries of that degree tend to cause concern on the side of the medical staff....again like i said i dont know...Had to pull my weapon last night I would expect those words from an armed guard or an LEO,the average joe would say -I almost shot someone last night-or something to that effect..Maybe im wrong but just my thinking...:?

vanman80

imported post

I have to call a huge BS on this story. First of all you are only 19 years old (ref: http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum10/40377.html)1911_Man, therefore if you had a weapon the police would have taken you in along with the perp, or at the very least confiscated your gun. Also, does the girl make it a habit of leaving the lights on so you can convieniantly see when arevolver is empty? Oh and by the way I am just making an assumtion that the hallway offers a direct line of sight to the living room; if he entered the house and came into the living room and you saw him through the hallwayat what point were the both of you under the "bright" lights of the kitchen? Finally, if this really happened the both of you would have been questioned at her house for about and hour or more, then you would have to goto the stationand make a few statements and fill out more reports, and in the last part of your story you state, "...Jen is safe, and she got a protection order against him." So then my final question is after all this time and the time it would take to get from point A to point B how did she have the time to fill out a restraining order all before your post at 2:39pm? Unlikely...

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

vanman80 wrote:
you are only 19 years old, therefore if you had a weapon the police would have taken you in along with the perp, or at the very least confiscated your gun. 
The story may be BS but take your FUD and git.

JesseL

imported post

vanman80 wrote:
I have to call a huge BS on this story. First of all you are only 19 years old (ref: http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum10/40377.html)1911_Man, therefore if you had a weapon the police would have taken you in along with the perp, or at the very least confiscated your gun.
Why would being 19 make him so likely to be arrested or have his pistol confiscated?

It's 100% legal for him to have it at that age.

mFonz77

imported post

They would have to determine where he got it (presumably as a gift), because while it's legal to POSSESS it is not legal to purchase until 21 in AZ.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

mFonz77 wrote:
They would have to determine where he got it (presumably as a gift), because while it's legal to POSSESS it is not legal to purchase until 21 in AZ.
This would likely be a search absent probable cause.

The age-21 requirement for FFLs cannot create reasonable suspicion that an armed 18 year-old is in violation of a law.

Edit: Even if they did try to justify it as part of the investigation into the brandishing incident, I still think that would entail nothing more than a simple call to see if the serial number has been reported stolen.

But there is no probable cause to launch a full-blown investigation into how he obtained the gun. There's no reason to suspect that he got it illegally.

Dahwg

imported post

mFonz77 wrote:

Incorrect! It's illegal for a FFL to sell one to him (under federal law). It is not illegal under state law for him to purchase from a private seller or to receive it as a gift. It can not be assumed that a law was broken since possession is not a crime.

The fact that this story doesn't pass the sniff test is another matter entirely.

Wow.. I just realized Marshaul already answered this. :lol:

Sonora Rebel

imported post

I've been watchin' this... My sniff meter just passed 6 on a 4.0 scale. :uhoh:

protector84

imported post

I'm surprised anyone even posts their self-defense stories anymore. After all, no matter what the person describes, everyone else automatically assumes they are lying. Yet these same people who constantly sit back and call everyone else's stories BS never once actually attend an OC dinner or other OC-related event. It seems pretty hypocritical to me. Run down everyone else but don't do anything beneficial yourself. Pretty sad.

mzbk2l

imported post

protector84 wrote:
I'm surprised anyone even posts their self-defense stories anymore. After all, no matter what the person describes, everyone else automatically assumes they are lying. Yet these same people who constantly sit back and call everyone else's stories BS never once actually attend an OC dinner or other OC-related event. It seems pretty hypocritical to me. Run down everyone else but don't do anything beneficial yourself. Pretty sad.
I've noticed that, too, and I'd generally agree with you. Still, if something doesn't add up about the story, a person could certainly expect to be questioned on it. Take the "seeing light through the chambers of the revolver" bit... I don't know what kind of revolver that was, but every one I've ever held has a round portion of the frame behind the cylinder to keep the bullets from falling out. I can hold a SureFire next to mine and not see light through the front of the chambers. Seeing an overhead light from another room through them? That's one I'd like to see a picture of.

Police reports in Arizona (at least in Mesa) cost around $5.00 and all personal details are redacted before they hand you the copies. Order of Protection should be on her person and not all that difficult to make a copy of. I don't find it terribly outrageous to be asked for supporting documentation about a story like that, especially with so many details that seem out of the ordinary.

Armed4Life

imported post

After some thinking, I would like to recind my previous BS call. Maybe he could see the empty chamber at 2:00 am after waking up from a dead sleep. Maybe the perp was dumb enough tothink 38 special rounds fita 44. Maybe Jen was resonable to think the guy wasn't serious after breaking her jaw. Stranger things have happened.

matt35

imported post

I call a HUGE BS on this story. First because the kid deleted it, which tells me either he made it up or he doesn't have the guts to back it up. Second. the holes are big enough to drive a truck through. The thing about the zip ties is what really bothers me, who cares those around with them?????

Rottie

imported post

*1911_man* wrote:
...To answer your question Jayspapa, i normally have a round in the chamber, cocked and locked, but i usually bring the hammer to half cock while im asleep.
Just as an extra safety precaution, its habit.
I guess my logic is the more steps it takes for an intruder to get my gun and use it against me, the better. I know, sounds stupid since theres a round in the chamber anyway. But thats just how ive always done it...

I don't care if your story is real or not but from this post you are going to hurt yourself or someone else! You need to become more familiar with 1911's and in particular your TRP. I have one myself. Yes it does have a half cock notch on the hammer. It is aREDUNDANT safety feature that ensures the hammer will not strike the firing pin without the grip and thumb safeties offand the trigger pulled. This means that it is more of a backup safety feature than a primary one. In addition, in order for you to place the hammer into the half cock position, the thumb safety must be off, the grip safety depressed and the trigger PULLED! Heaven forbid that just once your grip on the hammer not be sure and absolute, that hammer will come down on that firing pin with enough force to FIRE the round in the chamber. Additionally it is possible for the gun to fire from the half cock position. Go back and read you manual my friend and it will clearly tell you not to do what you are doing, and you should never lower the hammer with a round in the chamber unless you are firing! If you don't trust your TRP enough to have it cocked and locked guns are not for you. You may have always done things your current way but that isno excuse for not improving. You don't still poop your pants and need diaper changes do you? If not then it shows you can change for the better.

Dustiniac

Banned
imported post

Did you know it is entirely safe to carry a 1911 in a holster with the hammer back on a live round? In fact many police officers do just this.