• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry controversy just won't go away

Dave Workman

imported post

Open carry controversy just won't go away

[size=[font="Times New Roman"]Thanks to an open carry incident in Vancouver on March 19 which I discussed here, the open carry controversy that began with the Brady Campaign’s attack on Starbucks – which I wrote about here and here – just won’t go away.[/font]][/size]

[size=[font="Times New Roman"] ][/size]Perhaps that’s a good thing, but one must always be careful what one wishes for, as it may come true. [/font]

[size=[font="Times New Roman"][/font]][/size]

http://www.examiner.com/x-4525-Seattle-Gun-Rights-Examiner~y2010m4d2-Open-carry-controversy-just-wont-go-away

Or try this:

http://tinyurl.com/y8jrtd6

44Brent

imported post

I'm listening to the radio interview that was referenced in the article. I loved the quote from Jim when asked asked to what type of message he was trying to send by OCing.

The gist of his response was "I'm not trying to send a message. I'm just trying to protect myself".

Perfect response.

44Brent

imported post

Ginny Burdick is describing the gun "safety" rules she learned as a child: "If you see a gun, get out of the area". She says she won't go to Starbucks because it's too dangerous to go there now.

She's telling the listeners that she gets lots of support from NRA members.

Dave Workman

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
Item #2: Fascitelli simply will not get off this manufactured talking point that private businesses have a right to refuse service to anyone for any number of reasons, including carrying guns into coffee shops. That’s disingenuous and he knows it. It’s half of an argument. He and Paul Helmke, president of the Brady Campaign, have steadfastly refused to acknowledge that private businesses also have the right to serve anybody they damn well please.

I love that, Dave!  Very good!  And also their refusal to allow dissenting opinions on their websites, banning anyone who dares disagree with them!  At least we allow dissenting opinions here (although there is a rogue can of troll spray that shows up every now and then)... ;-).

This was THE point I was about to make in reaction to Ralph, but the music came up and the clock ran out. I'll get him next time.

I just don''t think he will appear live with me anywhere. Jim told me how he reacted in Oly at the hearing when several guys showed up with their pieces.

joeroket

imported post

Dave Workman wrote:
NavyLT wrote:
Item #2: Fascitelli simply will not get off this manufactured talking point that private businesses have a right to refuse service to anyone for any number of reasons, including carrying guns into coffee shops. That’s disingenuous and he knows it. It’s half of an argument. He and Paul Helmke, president of the Brady Campaign, have steadfastly refused to acknowledge that private businesses also have the right to serve anybody they damn well please.

I love that, Dave!  Very good!  And also their refusal to allow dissenting opinions on their websites, banning anyone who dares disagree with them!  At least we allow dissenting opinions here (although there is a rogue can of troll spray that shows up every now and then)... ;-).

This was THE point I was about to make in reaction to Ralph, but the music came up and the clock ran out. I'll get him next time.

I just don''t think he will appear live with me anywhere. Jim told me how he reacted in Oly at the hearing when several guys showed up with their pieces.

Nice job Dave and Jim.

Dave make sure you let us know if Ralph ever does debate you live because I sure the hell want to be there live and see him stutter and back pedal.

amzbrady

imported post

M1Gunr wrote:
BTW: The Brady Campaign Daily Show segment has been pushed to next week. No date yet, just next week.
I was looking for it, I heard paul herpe was supposed to be on it. I really hope to see Jon Stewart to be more about common sense and actual lawthan that doofus Jim Kimmel.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

amzbrady wrote:
M1Gunr wrote:
BTW: The Brady Campaign Daily Show segment has been pushed to next week. No date yet, just next week.
I was looking for it, I heard paul herpe was supposed to be on it. I really hope to see Jon Stewart to be more about common sense and actual lawthan that doofus Jim Kimmel.
This is all I have from their Facebook entry:
Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence The Daily Show segment has been pushed to next week. We'll keep you posted on its new air date when we hear...

amzbrady

imported post

M1Gunr wrote:
amzbrady wrote:
M1Gunr wrote:
This is all I have from their Facebook entry:
Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence The Daily Show segment has been pushed to next week. We'll keep you posted on its new air date when we hear...
Yep, same place I saw it. We dont have comedy central, so when it comes up you can watch it here http://www.thedailyshow.com/ Go to the top tabs and click on videos then you can browse past guests.

Whitney

imported post

I love that, Dave! Very good! And also their refusal to allow dissenting opinions on their websites, banning anyone who dares disagree with them! At least we allow dissenting opinions here (although there is a rogue can of troll spray that shows up every now and then)... ;-).
They have a Private Facebook page that you must be apply and be accepted for membership. Also you will find a "My Space" page devoted to the Brady Bunch.

Good Luck getting on either of these forums.

-Whitney

Dave Workman

imported post

NavyLT wrote:

I am glad you picked up on that. A lot of people don't, and that's the rub.
You could help by just forwarding that quote alone to everybody you know, and asking them to do the same because that is THE lynchpin of this whole B.S. argument.

As i've written repeatedly, this thing is manufactured to get these people face time and headlines.

But the whole thing unravels if they are challenged.

Tomahawk

imported post

Burdick identifies herself as a “gun safety” advocate. That’s more fashionable than being called a “gun control” advocate one supposes, but it means the same thing. In my experience, “safety” with gun control proponents is a substitute for “restriction.” (About the same as liberals now call themselves "progressives." Ask someone who has lost his or her job in the last 14 months how that change thing is progressing for them, personally. Ask the Democrat majority in Olympia how much "progress" they're making on balancing the budget without raising taxes.)
Actually, Dave, it's kind of like liberals calling themselves..."liberals", since a real liberal would be Thomas Jefferson and most of the people reading this.

I haven't been keeping up on current events in that corner of the country since OCDO's membership exploded, I wish the best for Mr. Kirby. Sucks to see him jammed up for no good reason.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

They have a Private Facebook page that you must be apply and be accepted for membership. Also you will find a "My Space" page devoted to the Brady Bunch. Good Luck getting on either of these forums. -Whitney

So far so good for me....

Tomas

imported post

Personally, knowing that honest, truthful posts of my personal opinions would NOT be allowed to remain on the Brady FB pages, I absolutely refuse to give them another "count" in their bodycount for them to point at and say "look how many people agree with us!"

They view every "fan" as another point in their favor, even if the person joined only to disagree with something said.

Essentially adding to their numbers in that way (giving them bodycount without the ability to actually express opinions, correct misinformation, and educate) simply adds to their clout by appearing to be a supporter.