• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC CLEAVELAND NATIONAL FORREST CLEAN UP DAY

SDPISTOLGRIP

imported post

Hello all. Sorry I have been out of the country for a while, and am now back, but as I noticed lately there has been a lot of bad publicity in the media regarding those of us trying to protect our 2A rights. My thought was to organize a clean up day in Cleavland National Forrest here in SD County. I think it would put a very positive spin on a sticky situation. With budget cuts, I know the National Parks could really use the help. If anyone is interested please let me know so I can contact the Parks Ranger and set it up. I would really like to have a big turn out. I will also be supplying the food, and drinks to all that come. I think this would be a great opportunity for us to show that we are not just a bunch or gun toting rednecks that the media is portraying us to be. Again I am sorry for being MIA for so long, But I am back and I want to get as many events going as possible. Thank you all. Carry on!

SDPISTOLGRIP

imported post

Awesome! I am awaiting a call back from the Park Ranger in charge to make all the details. I think this will be a great event. I have about 15 others in from North County as well. Thanks all. Carry on!

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Do you know if the area you are going to clean up is in an unincorporated terretory where neither the County nor Forest Service has banned shooting?

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

Mike wrote:
Do you know if the area you are going to clean up is in an unincorporated terretory where neither the County nor Forest Service has banned shooting?
What Mike is getting at is, if it is otherwise legal, are you going to make this an official Open Carry event (you know, with guns that are actually loaded).

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

ConditionThree wrote:
Mike wrote:
What Mike is getting at is, if it is otherwise legal, are you going to make this an official Open Carry event (you know, with guns that are actually loaded).
and no load checks :cool:

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

Mike wrote:
ConditionThree wrote:
Mike wrote:
....Yes,... with no 12031 (e) checks... Check.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

i'm not suggesting you require people to carry loaded or even to carry - recall the ND at the Michigan picnic a while back as somebody without a conceal permit unloaded when getting back in their car - but it would be nice i think to avoide putting the police itn eh position of feeling pressured to do e checks - i really think that e check scheme is bad public policy on many grounds, especially since under Terry police can detain and disarm on reasonable suspicion of crime anyway.

Chrisc411

imported post

ConditionThree wrote:
Mike wrote:
ConditionThree wrote:
Mike wrote:
Least we wont have to worry about getting "e" checked while there, and if were lucky we wont even be bothered while out there :)

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

Chrisc411 wrote:
ConditionThree wrote:
Mike wrote:
ConditionThree wrote:
Mike wrote:
Least we wont have to worry about getting "e" checked while there, and if were lucky we wont even be bothered while out there :)
Well, if there is no prohibition to discharge in the area, if law enforcement demands to inspect under 12031, one could lawfully refuse such a search.

Chrisc411

imported post

ConditionThree wrote:
Chrisc411 wrote:
ConditionThree wrote:
Mike wrote:
ConditionThree wrote:
Mike wrote:
Well, if there is no prohibition to discharge in the area, if law enforcement demands to inspect under 12031, one could lawfully refuse such a search.

would there even be a reason for them to ask for a 12031? Like the reason for the 12031e is to check that its unloaded and being in a national forest they shouldn't have any need/nor reason to ask? or am i missing something?

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

Chrisc411 wrote:
would there even be a reason for them to ask for a 12031? Like the reason for the 12031e is to check that its unloaded and being in a national forest they shouldn't have any need/nor reason to ask? or am i missing something?
There would be no reason to ask to do an (e) check in unincorporated territory. It wouldnt even rise to the level of a Terry stop without RAS.

SDPISTOLGRIP

imported post

while law permits you (sorry I didnt attach a penal code) to carry your firearm loaded in national parks, I am not telling everyone to come hot and heavy. Just to come and "dress" according to your comfort. As I said I am hammering out the details with the park ranger manager, and making sure I dont get us all in any trouble, and that we can get Open Carry some GOOD publicity!

MudCamper

Founder's Club Member
imported post

SDPISTOLGRIP wrote:
Hello all. Sorry I have been out of the country for a while, and am now back, but as I noticed lately there has been a lot of bad publicity in the media regarding those of us trying to protect our 2A rights. My thought was to organize a clean up day in Cleavland National Forrest here in SD County. I think it would put a very positive spin on a sticky situation. With budget cuts, I know the National Parks could really use the help. If anyone is interested please let me know so I can contact the Parks Ranger and set it up. I would really like to have a big turn out. I will also be supplying the food, and drinks to all that come. I think this would be a great opportunity for us to show that we are not just a bunch or gun toting rednecks that the media is portraying us to be. Again I am sorry for being MIA for so long, But I am back and I want to get as many events going as possible. Thank you all. Carry on!
Just FYI National Forests and National Parks are very different types of lands, managed by completely different government bureaucracies. The NFs have always been friendly to firearms, while the NPs were just forced to accept them. Shooting and hunting is welcomed in the NFs, while firearms use is still prohibited in the NPs.

See Firearms in Forests and Parks.