• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Virginia Zoo Question

maverick2694

imported post

My wife, daughter, and I are planning to go to the Virginia Zoo in Norfolk next Friday, and I was wondering if anyone has ever carried there. As far as I know they are state owned and their website says nothing about firearms.

t33j

imported post

I think it's actually owned by Norfolk. Either way preemption would cover no? I've been there a few times (I get in free) but never carrying (my visits were before I started OCing).

t33j

imported post

Who operates the Virginia Zoo?
The City of Norfolk and the Virginia Zoological Society share the responsibility of the Virginia Zoo. The Zoological Society employs education, membership, marketing, fundraising, and special event staff. The City serves the operational needs of the Zoo, including animal care, zoo grounds and maintenance and customer service. Overall, the Virginia Zoo employs nearly 100 full- and part-time staff.

http://www.midatlanticrf.biz/about-the-zoo/FAQ.asp

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

http://www.virginiazoo.org/about-the-zoo/FAQ.aspI'd have to guess here that the City of Norfolk actually owns/operates the Zoo and hires staff from the Zoological Society to fill certain positions. The FAQ does not make the relationship between the two clear at all.

An email inquiry to both the City and Zoological Society about owneeship might be prudent. I would suggst you not discuss firearms or OCing in your inquiry - merely who is the legal "owner" of the venue. Make sure you get a response from someone with a name and a title that suggests they actually know what they are talking about. "Customer Services" is not a name and folks in that office generally do not know legal details.

stay safe.

skidmark

johnfenter

imported post

The Norfolk Zoo is part of the Norfolk Parks Department, and carry is allowed there just as it is in Town Point Park or other parks in the city. We've been through this drill with them a few years ago. If they give you any trouble, let us know, and VCDL will take them out behind the woodshed again.