Thread: Virginia Zoo Question

Post imported post

My wife, daughter, and I are planning to go to the Virginia Zoo in Norfolk next Friday, and I was wondering if anyone has ever carried there. As far as I know they are state owned and their website says nothing about firearms.

Post imported post

I think it's actually owned by Norfolk. Either way preemption would cover no? I've been there a few times (I get in free) but never carrying (my visits were before I started OCing).
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Post imported post

Who operates the Virginia Zoo?
    The City of Norfolk and the Virginia Zoological Society share the responsibility of the Virginia Zoo. The Zoological Society employs education, membership, marketing, fundraising, and special event staff. The City serves the operational needs of the Zoo, including animal care, zoo grounds and maintenance and customer service. Overall, the Virginia Zoo employs nearly 100 full- and part-time staff.

http://www.midatlanticrf.biz/about-the-zoo/FAQ.asp
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Post imported post

I'd have to guess here that the City of Norfolk actually owns/operates the Zoo and hires staff from the Zoological Society to fill certain positions. The FAQ does not make the relationship between the two clear at all.

An email inquiry to both the City and Zoological Society about owneeship might be prudent. I would suggst you not discuss firearms or OCing in your inquiry - merely who is the legal "owner" of the venue. Make sure you get a response from someone with a name and a title that suggests they actually know what they are talking about. "Customer Services" is not a name and folks in that office generally do not know legal details.

stay safe.

skidmark
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Post imported post

The Norfolk Zoo is part of the Norfolk Parks Department, and carry is allowed there just as it is in Town Point Park or other parks in the city. We've been through this drill with them a few years ago. If they give you any trouble, let us know, and VCDL will take them out behind the woodshed again.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

Definitely belongs to the City of Norfolk - even shown as part of Norfolk Public Works -
    Sponsoring Department: Executive/Virginia Zoo

http://www.norfolk.gov/PublicWorks/c...er/Default.asp

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.