• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun Purchase

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

Since eachof thecalibers you mentionedhas both it's own strong and weak points, and they are actually quite similar in terminal ballistics with each other, especiallywith today's quality ammo choices, I feel capacity is more important than caliber right now.

I started with a 38/357 6-shot revolver,and a .25 Auto BUG andcarriedthem bothconcealed when I lived in FL, I added a .41 Mag. to the mix, andthat was uncarryable IMO, and my most recent is a .40 XDm that I absolutely love.
I just need some more range time with it to get used to the snappiness of the muzzle. When I go out and about, I think "I sure am good with this revolver, but will 6 shots be enough for any situation that I may find myself in?" then I remember that I am able to put all 17 rounds into center of mass with my .40, and I end up carrying that because I have almost triple the capacity of my revolver.

Find what fits your hand best, see what works best for you for Open-Carry and concealed, and see which you are the most accurate with, then determine what kind of safety you want, and how many rounds you feel is best for any defensive situation that you mayfind yourself inwithout needing to do a reload in a high-stress situation.

I looked at many glocks, I really like glocks.. I always wanted a Glock for some reason, But they did not feel right in my hands, then I picked up an XDm, and it feels more natural to me, I didnot like any1911's that I tried because the beavertail safety takes a conscience effort for me to depress it fully, That bothered me. The beavertail safety on the XDm felt like it was not even there, and it fit me best.
You may be totally opposite and find a Glock a better fit, go out and shoot at a range that rents, or shoot with people that have the pistols you are interested in to see which works best for you.

Just do not like make, model, or caliber decide for you, find what feels best and has the features that you feel are most important.

OCmyXD

imported post

Nutczak wrote:
Find what fits your hand best, see what works best for you for Open-Carry and concealed, and see which you are the most accurate with, then determine what kind of safety you want, and how many rounds you feel is best for any defensive situation that you mayfind yourself inwithout needing to do a reload in a high-stress situation.

Just do not like make, model, or caliber decide for you, find what feels best and has the features that you feel are most important.
Also, don't let perception influence your decision. Example: my first exposure to handgun shooting was around 10 with my dad and his .357 Ruger Security 6 with wooden grips. I had no problem shooting .38 spcl out of it, but when it was loaded with the hotter .357 rounds, my hands would hurt after only a dozen or so shots. A few years later my brother purchased a .44 magnum and I was hesitant to shoot it, remembering how bad the .357 hurt my hand. He finally talked me into it and I found that even with the hot loads I could shoot for hours. Recoil absorbing grips and a full underlug (weight) made it a completely different shooting experience.

I also have had issues with the way Glocks fit my hand. Specifically the alignment of the slide to the skin between my thumb and forefinger. Anyone else with this issue can attest to how bad that hurts!

Mugenlude

Campaign Veteran
imported post

OCmyXD wrote:
I also have had issues with the way Glocks fit my hand. Specifically the alignment of the slide to the skin between my thumb and forefinger. Anyone else with this issue can attest to how bad that hurts!
With a semi-auto you shouldn't have your weak hand thumb overlapping your stong-hand thumb. Your weak hand thumb should be facing forward just like your stong-hand thumb... I could take a picture if you aren't getting it...

BTW - asking this question is going to get LOTS of answers... carry what you can shoot the best... for me it's a G19/G23 Glock for OC and CCW (out of state).

AaronS

imported post

Mugenlude wrote:
OCmyXD wrote:
With a semi-auto you shouldn't have your weak hand thumb overlapping your stong-hand thumb. Your weak hand thumb should be facing forward just like your stong-hand thumb... I could take a picture if you aren't getting it...

BTW - asking this question is going to get LOTS of answers... carry what you can shoot the best... for me it's a G19/G23 Glock for OC and CCW (out of state).

I agree 100% with the "Carry what you can shoot the best". Even if the gun is big, I would carry what I shoot the best 99% of the time (I try to carry my full size .45 auto now days). That one bad shoot when you needed it the most, could become a real problem for you. And what might you hit if you do miss your shot? I don't know if Wisconsin Carry, or even God for that matter, will be of any help to you if you were to hit the wrong person...

Yooper

imported post

Mugenlude wrote:
OCmyXD wrote:

http://www.krtraining.com/IPSC/Information/grip.jpg

Is this what you're trying to describe? This is the way I was taught to grip a handgun.