Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AK or Panther..that is the question

Post imported post

So I have been engaged in a debate with myself of the pros and cons of purchasing another AK-47 WASR-10 7.62X39 or DPMS Panther .308.

I have concluded that I am going to spend half the money it would cost to purchase a Panther and buy an AK-47 and get a rail system for both my AK's and a bit more ammunition. I also concluded that less moving parts, cheaper ammunition, cheaper after market parts, accuracy within 200 yrds and better suited for urban SHTF sceneriod is more important than owning a bada$$ looking firearm that is the Panther DPMS .308.

Aside from being able to hit a torso size target 1300 yards away with a Panther .308 heavy barrel can anyone give me a good reason to lay down the extra coin for a Panther instead of an AK-47? I need some help talking myself into getting a Panther *which I would love to have*.
    I don't mind watching the OC-Community (tea party 2.0's, who have hijacked the OC-Community) cannibalize itself. I do mind watching OC dragged through the gutter. OC is an exercise of A Right. I choose to not OC; I choose to not own firearms. I choose to leave the OC-Community to it's own self-inflicted injuries, and eventual implosion. Carry on...

Post imported post

SKS

Post imported post

Kel-Tec RFB

(grabs some of M1Gunr's popcorn)

Post imported post

Ak is my vote, although I love my SKS.
    Live Free or Die!

Post imported post

I have actually been thinking about getting an SKS. When I was 15 my stepdad took me hunting with him and my hunting rifle was an SKS.

*takes some of M1gunr's popcorn*:celebrate
    I don't mind watching the OC-Community (tea party 2.0's, who have hijacked the OC-Community) cannibalize itself. I do mind watching OC dragged through the gutter. OC is an exercise of A Right. I choose to not OC; I choose to not own firearms. I choose to leave the OC-Community to it's own self-inflicted injuries, and eventual implosion. Carry on...

Post imported post

Well since you already have one.

The more the merrier but why not get something you don't have yet?

The Panther looks badass too.

You can sell it and get a couple of AK's if you don't like it.

My opinion. If you have the money and you want it. Go for it. It would probably make you happier then having another AK. It will also do great in a SHTF scenerio. It will leave a bigger hole. Even if its very far out.

Post imported post

Glocked....I like the way you think

Post imported post

Ya I sold one of my Glocks just to get .223 Rifle. I already had a Glock so I don't need two. But will one day have more then 2 when the finances agree with it.

Post imported post

http://www.thecmp.org/m1garand.htm

Go Gran Torino with a CMP garand. All the punch of the Panther at a price comparable to the AK. The Greek M2 ball's pretty cheap too.

Post imported post

M1A SOCOM II or Scout Squad, is a great compromise between long range and close up IMHO. $1600.00 give or take.
    Throw me to the wolves and I will come back leading the pack.

Post imported post

I was going to sell my Beretta 92FS with all the upgrades I made to it and the shoulder and waist holster to purchase a new rifle. Instead I am going to sell my Marlin lever action .22lr and....not sure yet.

Post imported post

http://seattleguns.net/ is a great place to sell guns. .22's seems to sell very fast too.

Post imported post

keep all the guns you got now!

buy some tacticool stuff to improve your AK, and some more ammo. you dont need more AKs, you just need better accories.

buy a sporting/hunting 7mm mag, 30-06, or .308 with for your long range sniping needs! go to big 5 for an off brand for 400$, then get your self a good scope..

ive got an AK and a shopping list for 200$ of improvements.
    and an 8mm mauser that will be even greatter for reaching out to touch someone with an upgraded scope..

and that lever 22lr will always be a fun gun for plinking any kind of "cans" that become a nusance around the house.. and great training gun for your childeren!
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.

Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

Post imported post

I think that it would depend on your situation. In a SHTF scenario, it would be nice, if you have a partner, to have the same rifles so you can have parts, ammo, magazine compatability, etc.. If you are by yourself, have both for short and long range situations. If down the road, you are able to afford it, then get the .308. Personally, I would use cash and buy another AK and then throw the Panther on a credit card and pay a $100 a month or so and pay it off down the road. Who knows what's coming, and I would rather have my ass covered now. Right now, I have multiple copies of various rifles for my wifeand I and anyone else who may need something. With the waythe economy is and the value of money, I would rather have something tangible in my hands that is worth something versus a numberon a line in abank's computer.

Campaign Veteran Lurkus Maximus's Avatar

Post imported post

Saiga .308 Rifle 21"

You're already familiar with AK ergos and the price ($450) is right!

http://shop.peachstateguns.com/produ...categoryId=130

-----------------------------
    "Get a shot off fast. This upsets him long enough to let you make your second shot perfect." Lazarus Long

Post imported post

Century Arms makes a good innexpensive HK G-3copy too - Mags are dirt cheap, and runs 7.62mm Nato (.308), built with all G-3 parts, so it's easy to keep running.

FNFAL (or L1A1) is also a good one to look at.

M-14 - expensive, but worth every penny.

~ ENCLAVE vmc ~
    The Enclave is looking for patriotic motorcycle riders in Washington State who support liberty and freedom for all. ~ Check us out!
    ~
    * " To be swayed neither by the opponent nor by his sword is the essence of swordsmanship." - Miyamoto Musashi.

Post imported post

I've been looking at Doublestar.
    Im proudly straight. I'm free to not support Legalization, GLBT, Illegal Aliens, or the Islamization of America.

Post imported post

The problem I see is your comparing apples to oranges. The DPMS rifle is an accurate long range rifle. The AK is a close quarters sporting rifle (don't want to use the A word). If my oppinion everyone should have both. Long range shooting is quite the challenge and very fun, then again so is putting massive quantities of lead down range. I'd get the one your more likely to use the most now, and start saving for the other one.

Post imported post

I am going to get another AK-47 so that my partner and I both will have a rifle with the same caliber, magz, etc. I am going to save for the Panther though....I know specifically what setup I would get when I purchase the Panther...just take some time to put it together.

Post imported post

Sounds good. The Panther looks like a really good deal. I have 2 FALs and 2 G3s, but if I was looking for another 7.62x51 I'd go for the Panther. Can't beat the price for an AR style .308. The last Shotgun News had some better prices on .308 ammo too.

Post imported post

Orphan and Batousaii are on a roll-- M1A!

Post imported post

The WASR is a great gun, especially if it was imported/made after 2007 with the G2 trigger group. Add a Midwest Industries rail and an Aimpoint Micro T-1 and you're good to go.

Post imported post

You could always spend less then $100 more then the WASR and go with one of these instead...

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.as...B2T&groupid=11

Next on my list

Post imported post

David.Car wrote:
    You could always spend less then $100 more then the WASR and go with one of these instead...

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.as...amp;groupid=11

Next on my list
    That put a smile on my face.

Post imported post

I found the perfect gun for you Silvia ...little home defense thing.You'll love it.Its Bubba certified.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast