• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

AK or Panther..that is the question

jchen012

imported post

The WASR is a great gun, especially if it was imported/made after 2007 with the G2 trigger group. Add a Midwest Industries rail and an Aimpoint Micro T-1 and you're good to go.

DEROS72

imported post

I found the perfect gun for you Silvia ...little home defense thing.You'll love it.Its Bubba certified.

911Boss

Gone... Nutty as squirrel **** around here
imported post

After about 15 years of experience with AR's, I have abandoned them for the AK.

Cleaning AR's simply SUCKS!

If you are looking for a long range/sniper weapon I'd sooner go with a good bolt action. If you are thinking SHTF scenario in this area, I don't see long range targets being an issue unless you have access to an elevated position and are planning to go on the offensive.

Not sure who told you that you were going to be hitting targets at 1300 yards with a .308, but they obviously have an inflated idea of what that round's capabilities are.If you are seriously looking for a 1000 yd+ rifle, you need to look at other calibers. When you start looking, you'll probably find that the Panther is cheap by comparison.

I'd say get another AK, and use the leftover money for more mags and ammo.

DEROS72

imported post

Its not super long range but I really like my Mini 14.It does get it done.5.56/.223.Easy to maintain and reliable.and a good defensive weapon.I like it better than AR's .

Personal and home protection .....

1245A Defender

imported post

new 4-16 zoom x 52 sniper scope on my 8 mm mauser with 29 inch barrel..
it will reach out and touch some one.....
ive owned this gun since 1976,, 40$ at the hock shock,
new used stock,, bent the bolt and added a 4x scope,, new old sniper barrel,,
and now the big glass!!

never shot at a deer i didnt enjoy eating!! the 2A applies to hunting too!!

Vandal

imported post

Buy a Mosin Nagant so you and your chiropractor can be happy. Good for both distance (2 counties over) and close in (my bayonet is longer than my forearms) If nothing else you can use it for a javelin, should you find yourself in a track and field meet.

Beretta92FSLady

imported post

I am going to get another AK-47 and for distance purchase a nice bolt action. I like the bubba rifle above though. The wood bolt action two posts up is nice though.

o2ryan

imported post

If you still want an affordable bolt action in .308, I would personally recommend the Savage 10FP with a Shepperd scope. Everyone who shoots mine raves about the trigger and how spot on it shoots with good ammo. You could outfit the whole thing for what you would spend on the Panther before optics.

killchain

oneeyeross

imported post

Funny, I never had issues cleaning an M16. Never thought it was a hassle to clean, in fact, I thought they cleaned up a lot nicer than most bolt guns I've shot...

Different strokes, I guess.