• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

AK or Panther..that is the question

Beretta92FSLady

imported post

So I have been engaged in a debate with myself of the pros and cons of purchasing another AK-47 WASR-10 7.62X39 or DPMS Panther .308.

I have concluded that I am going to spend half the money it would cost to purchase a Panther and buy an AK-47 and get a rail system for both my AK's and a bit more ammunition. I also concluded that less moving parts, cheaper ammunition, cheaper after market parts, accuracy within 200 yrds and better suited for urban SHTF sceneriod is more important than owning a bada$$ looking firearm that is the Panther DPMS .308.

Aside from being able to hit a torso size target 1300 yards away with a Panther .308 heavy barrel can anyone give me a good reason to lay down the extra coin for a Panther instead of an AK-47? I need some help talking myself into getting a Panther *which I would love to have*.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

SKS
popcorn.gif

Beretta92FSLady

imported post

I have actually been thinking about getting an SKS. When I was 15 my stepdad took me hunting with him and my hunting rifle was an SKS.

*takes some of M1gunr's popcorn*:celebrate

Glocked and Loaded

imported post

Well since you already have one.

The more the merrier but why not get something you don't have yet?

The Panther looks badass too.

You can sell it and get a couple of AK's if you don't like it.

My opinion. If you have the money and you want it. Go for it. It would probably make you happier then having another AK. It will also do great in a SHTF scenerio. It will leave a bigger hole. Even if its very far out.

Jeff Hayes

imported post

M1A SOCOM II or Scout Squad, is a great compromise between long range and close up IMHO. $1600.00 give or take.

Beretta92FSLady

imported post

I was going to sell my Beretta 92FS with all the upgrades I made to it and the shoulder and waist holster to purchase a new rifle. Instead I am going to sell my Marlin lever action .22lr and....not sure yet.

1245A Defender

imported post

keep all the guns you got now!

buy some tacticool stuff to improve your AK, and some more ammo. you dont need more AKs, you just need better accories.

buy a sporting/hunting 7mm mag, 30-06, or .308 with for your long range sniping needs! go to big 5 for an off brand for 400$, then get your self a good scope..

ive got an AK and a shopping list for 200$ of improvements.
and an 8mm mauser that will be even greatter for reaching out to touch someone with an upgraded scope..

and that lever 22lr will always be a fun gun for plinking any kind of "cans" that become a nusance around the house.. and great training gun for your childeren!

mb419

imported post

I think that it would depend on your situation. In a SHTF scenario, it would be nice, if you have a partner, to have the same rifles so you can have parts, ammo, magazine compatability, etc.. If you are by yourself, have both for short and long range situations. If down the road, you are able to afford it, then get the .308. Personally, I would use cash and buy another AK and then throw the Panther on a credit card and pay a $100 a month or so and pay it off down the road. Who knows what's coming, and I would rather have my ass covered now. Right now, I have multiple copies of various rifles for my wifeand I and anyone else who may need something. With the waythe economy is and the value of money, I would rather have something tangible in my hands that is worth something versus a numberon a line in abank's computer.

Batousaii

imported post

Century Arms makes a good innexpensive HK G-3copy too - Mags are dirt cheap, and runs 7.62mm Nato (.308), built with all G-3 parts, so it's easy to keep running.

FNFAL (or L1A1) is also a good one to look at.

M-14 - expensive, but worth every penny.

Jayd1981

imported post

The problem I see is your comparing apples to oranges. The DPMS rifle is an accurate long range rifle. The AK is a close quarters sporting rifle (don't want to use the A word). If my oppinion everyone should have both. Long range shooting is quite the challenge and very fun, then again so is putting massive quantities of lead down range. I'd get the one your more likely to use the most now, and start saving for the other one.

Beretta92FSLady

imported post

I am going to get another AK-47 so that my partner and I both will have a rifle with the same caliber, magz, etc. I am going to save for the Panther though....I know specifically what setup I would get when I purchase the Panther...just take some time to put it together.

mb419

imported post

Sounds good. The Panther looks like a really good deal. I have 2 FALs and 2 G3s, but if I was looking for another 7.62x51 I'd go for the Panther. Can't beat the price for an AR style .308. The last Shotgun News had some better prices on .308 ammo too.