• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

2 injured when gun goes off in car

younggun20

imported post

2 injured when gun goes off in car April 2nd, 2010 @ 4:30pm TREMONTON -- Two people were injured when a gun went off inside their vehicle near the Utah-Idaho border.
The driver, 23-year-old Benjamin Baugh of American Fork, is at Bear River Valley Hospital in Tremonton. We understand he is undergoing surgery. The front seat passenger, 26-year-old Sterling Glines of Hereford, Ariz., was driven by his parent to a hospital in Salt Lake City. Devin Belnap, 22, and Mark Dunn, 23, were not hurt.
The four men, who are students at Brigham Young University-Idaho, were traveling south on Interstate 15 around noon, on their way to Salt Lake City for General Conference.
When they were near the town of Portage, the highway patrol says Glines had the pistol. He took the magazine out and showed it to the other passengers. They looked at it and gave it back to him.
Cpl. John McMahon, with the Utah Highway Patrol, explained, "He replaced the magazine in the gun and slid the slide forward, which chambered around into the barrel of the gun. The driver then asked him a question about the safety issues of the glock; one of which is if you move the slide of the gun backwards it disengages the trigger and the gun doesn't fire. The passenger, unfortunately, wanted to show this safety issue and didn't disengage the slide far enough."
The highway patrol says Glines then pulled the trigger and the gun went off. The bullet went through his hand and hit the driver in the forearm. Part of the bullet lodged in the driver's forearm, but also exited and hit the driver side door and shattered the window.
Baugh was able to safely pull the car over safely and called 911. The highway patrol says Glines legally owned the gun and had a concealed weapon permit, but they say he did not follow the number one rule, which investigators say is to always treat the gun as if it's loaded. The highway patrol is still investigating this case, and they say charges could possibly be filed.

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=10248669
=================================================
"Ya sure I can show you how the safety works." BOOM! "Thats not how it works! thats not how it works!"

Anyone ever had an ND?

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Lemme see. The guy with the poor judgement has a large, powder burned and muzzle blasted hole in his hand and the police are considering charging him?

The policecannot impose a penalty as severe asthe one he experienced. Why on earth would they even considercharging him?

Abraxxas

imported post

I'll be the first to share my early lesson on gun safety.

I was 13 years old and was withmy father and a few friends of the family on a deer hunting trip on some private land in the rolling hillsoutside of Richland Center. It was opening morning and we all headed up to different ridge tops overlooking pastures and runways where we sat quietly waiting for our trophies. I sat on one for about an hour and decided to move to another, it was very steep terrain and hard going so I sat down about 3/4 of the way up the side of the ridge I was headed to for a rest. While a sat there I saw a couple deer moving about 500 yards or so down a ravine, being 13 I was certain if they just came a little closer I could surely bag one :lol: I chambered a round and engaged the safety on the 8mm Mauser I was carrying and laid it across my lap as I sat indian style on the wooded hillside. Well about 30 minutes had gone by and the deer I was watching disappeared into the woods at the bottom. I decided to eat a candy bar before I finished my walk to the top, so I took of my gloves and laid them on the rifle in my lap and began digging around at my inside jacket pockets trying to find where I had put the candy bar. I found it and ate it, I then leaned forwards to lift my rear enough to stuff the wrapper in my back pants pocket when the rifle went off. IDK how many of you are familiar with the 8mm Mauser but the safety is a crude little curved piece of metal on the top rear of the bolt that you lift to engage. To disengage it you lift the thumb of your trigger hand and press down on the safety tab and it clicks flat to the top of the bolt again. Somewhere along the lines of sitting there and moving around I must'vebumped it with my leg or one of the glovesand turned the safety off. The gloves were laying over the bolt and trigger area so when I leaned forwardsthe rifle wassandwiched between my legs and my belly with the gloves on it and a part of one of the gloves or something squished into the trigger guard area and bang.

I remember sitting there in shock for about a minute, looking at the gun and trying to figure out what happened. I remember checking to see if I had shot myself, looking at the divot in the ground about 5 feet to the side of me and feeling relieved thatthe round only made it that far. Lastly I remember trying to think of how I was going to explain to my father how stupid I had been. When my dad was alive he loved shooting and hunting, he taught me and my brother and sisters how to handle guns and shoot as soon as we were old enough to hold one. He taughtus that you canNEVER let an accident happen because there are no second chances with gun mistakes and now I had to explain an accidental discharge to the very man who taught me all this. He told me I was lucky I didn't kill myself or somebody else and that I had just received the second chance so many people never get. He could see how shook up I was when I told him, he pointed out how I now knew first hand how easy it is to make a simple mistake when you're not paying attention. He shared a story of some stupid thing he had done with a gun as a youngin (probably made up to make me laugh) and we met up with the rest of the guys and had dinner. I got my first deer the next day and haven't stopped paying attention since.

PT111

imported post

There is carelessness and there is stupidity. This incident falls into the stupidity category. Trying to show/prove how the safety works without verifying that the gun is unloaded. Playing with a gun while riding in a car. Holding your hand in front of the muzzle of an unloaded or loaded gun. I could go on but clearly this exceeds the careless category, moves beyond dumb and may exceedthe stupid category.

Old Grump

imported post

Darwin works slowly but he works. Do you really think these dummies are going to be breeding. The word is out on them by now not to take these guys home to meet father.

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Stupidity is a lack of perception, either not realizing something or misinterpreting a situation. Think to yourself; "Hey dummy, you're in a car full of people, mess with the gun later! Sure, you canhandle the gun in the carand be extremely safe about it such that if anything did go wrong with handling the gun or there were a catastrophic failure, no one will likelyget hurt. But is this a bloody smart idea?"

There answer is no.

Carelessness is the momentary or enduringloss of judgementand is thus a choice or a result ofchoice(s); carelessness = negligence. Hey, this is a great idea, I'll just point the gun in an arbitrary direction and pull the trigger but not stop to think and ask my self; "Is there a bullet chambered? Would it be a good idea to do this demonstration after loading the gun even if I'm confident it will work? Am I even confident this will work? Will they really care if I choose not to demonstrate the gun? Do I need to pull the slide back futher? Should I be pointing it this way? Is my hand sufficient in stopping the bullet if it does fire? Do I undestand physics? Shouldn't I just put this thing away?"

It's a bloody shame and there is no excuse.