• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Close Combat Training

since9

Campaign Veteran
I'm curious as to what people think about this one: Close Combat Training

Any thoughts?

The two I have are:

1. Sounds an aweful lot like a Tony (whatshisname) marketing/self-empowerment campaign - it certainly has all the psychological/marketing hooks.

2. From everything I've learned over the years in the military, martial arts, actual combat (military), and actual street confrontations (a whopping two of them), what he says rings true - and I tend to be a skeptic.

Ok, your thoughts. Anyone bought or viewed this guy's system?

- since9

rodbender

imported post

Master Doug Huffman wrote:
What does this have to do with advocacy of normalizing legally and openly armed citizens?
Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA KMA$$ damn Obamanation thugs.
Absolutely nothing. And this guy talks too damned much. Must like to hear himself talk or just trying to show you how smart he is. It takes about 10 minutes (maybe more)to get to the sales pitch and cost. Not interested in any of it, just curious as to the cost.

Pace

imported post

I know Chris the owner of this company, and while he is a great sales person, and there is a lot of good techniques, this is basically a sales company. Best to take some sort of instinctual self defense course in person.

since9

Campaign Veteran
What does this have to do with advocacy of normalizing legally and openly armed citizens?

Your statement is close, but not quite what this forum is about. From the rules: "11. This web site is focused on the right to openly carry properly holstered handguns in daily American life." And from the Administrator's post: "Even the thread for "general discussions" must be fairly related to open carry, firearms and gun rights."

The most important skill gun-owner can possess is how to use and care for his firearm. The second most important skill is how to secure i.e. retain possession of his firearm, particularly in close combat.

That's what Close Combat Training has to do with this forum. Put simply: Not "everything," but a whopping good chunk of it.

since9

Campaign Veteran
Colorado Springs residents ONLY

the magpul dynamic handgun class would be much more effective.

I've reviewed their site and concur it would be of good use to anyone who carries a firearm.

But what about those times when you find yourself without a firearm, such as while at the pool or beach, or in a location (courthouses and airplanes come to mind) where you, a law-abiding citizen, have followed the law and left your firearm behind?

How about when it's taken from you? If you don't think that can't happen in a close-quarters situation, or that you're a good enough shooter to prevent that, you're sadly mistaken! Here's another technique. There are many more, and many criminals know these techniques quite well.

Again, back to the question I originally put forth: Is anyone here in the Colorado Springs area interested in getting together to review and practice some of the techniques shown on the Close Combat Training DVD's?

Pace

I actually know Chris and while what he says in his videos are 100% true, he is mainly a very smart business man. He is not an expert and his techniques are taught by many, many video companies out there: learn a few basic techniques, since remembering complicated things during an emergecny can be hard.

I actual am a defensive tactics instructor and have trained and taught with seals to spetznaz. I have trained in Krav Maga, Systema and several police oriented defensive tactics. I would not reccomend buying his videos.

As a note, almsot all his membership is over the age of 60 and he gets almost all his traffic from Drudgereport.com

I've reviewed their site and concur it would be of good use to anyone who carries a firearm.

But what about those times when you find yourself without a firearm, such as while at the pool or beach, or in a location (courthouses and airplanes come to mind) where you, a law-abiding citizen, have followed the law and left your firearm behind?

How about when it's taken from you? If you don't think that can't happen in a close-quarters situation, or that you're a good enough shooter to prevent that, you're sadly mistaken! Here's another technique. There are many more, and many criminals know these techniques quite well.

Again, back to the question I originally put forth: Is anyone here in the Colorado Springs area interested in getting together to review and practice some of the techniques shown on the Close Combat Training DVD's?

since9

Campaign Veteran
Thanks for the info, Pace. Too late, as I already purchased the basic set, and it arrived a couple of days ago. I agree with his basic premise concerning gross motor movements, but you're right - he's an astute businessman.

Having been an instructor in the Air Force, both in the classroom as well as during field/flying ops, I'm not impressed with his instruction. His workbook contains numerous errors of grammar and spelling, the pictures are dark and difficult to see, his principle methodology seems to be "tell 'em again and again and again and again and..."

I didn't expect to be presented with tactics that would take me a year to learn, but for the money, I expected something more than what most people can learn in a half hour's session, if it's taught correctly.

mahkagari

Thanks for the info, Pace. Too late, as I already purchased the basic set, and it arrived a couple of days ago. I agree with his basic premise concerning gross motor movements, but you're right - he's an astute businessman.

Having been an instructor in the Air Force, both in the classroom as well as during field/flying ops, I'm not impressed with his instruction. His workbook contains numerous errors of grammar and spelling, the pictures are dark and difficult to see, his principle methodology seems to be "tell 'em again and again and again and again and..."

I didn't expect to be presented with tactics that would take me a year to learn, but for the money, I expected something more than what most people can learn in a half hour's session, if it's taught correctly.

FastDefense is another system that's got a session coming up in Longmont next week, I think. It's psychological heavy and I've had SWAT and SEAL friends give it positive reviews.

mahkagari

Let me know how that went, mahkagari!

I didn't attend. I need to at some point. I want to get my children in their kids' class. My wife took one a couple months ago and is in one of the videos. I'll be emptying the dishwasher real quick when she asks from now on.

cscitney87

Here's the thing with Close Combat training... If you have a firearm- sweet. If you need to use your hands- you should use your hands to grab an object to use as a weapon. If you are in existence on an infinite plain containing no other furnishings- you would have to use your hands... If you have to use your hands- use your feet. If those are broken- you'll need your hands for crutches.

mahkagari

Here's the thing with Close Combat training... If you have a firearm- sweet.

What's your experience with CQC? I'm going to disagree with you on this one. Once someone is withing the 21' zone, a firearm is more a hinderance than a help. Drawing your firearm disables that hand from other CQC defense, takes your attention from hand-hand or hand-weapon defense, and puts more of your attention on keeping your opponent from getting your gun than actually defending yourself. A firearm is a ranged weapon.

(See how I'm just disagreeing with you and not calling you a troll until you actually troll?)

cscitney87

1st. What on Earth is your definition of troll?

2nd and to the post/point...

My .45 ACP Sub-Compact is not going to be extremely accurate with a 3" barrel. I can't even risk firing a bullet at a target so far away. My fire zone is WITHIN 10 yards (about 30 feet) and I would prefer within 7 yards. Anything more is going to require two or three shots. My firearm just isn't that accurate with a 3" barrel that's not attached to the frame- it's the floating type that just sits in there.

So that being said; If you are able to draw your pistol from your holster and Not Able to aim and fire it- you can use the pistol as a blunt object to crack open the skull of the bad guy more effectively than you could with fists alone.

Like I said.. if I can't use my firearm but have my hands free- I'll grab a blunt or sharp object. If that's not available- Kick. If that's not an option- you're holding yourself up on crutches anyway.

Last edited: