• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First time out OCing and had a run in with the law

oifoefvet

imported post

I was out in the Seal Beach area today, from about 3pm till about 10pm. I was OC'n the whole day. I spent time walking along the main street in seal beach with no problem all day, having lunch in one of the resturants, and going in to three different pubs that I know well. All of the pubs had no problem with me, although they do know me. I did not drink anything but sprite, and had dinner there chatting with my friends. At about 10pm, I finally left for home, getting tired and all. I was stopped on my way to my car. there were about 4 local police cars. they were very friendly and asked me to come over to them. I did as instructed and when they got there, they said they would like to ask me if my weapon was loaded, I told them sure. they then asked me if I was with that group that does this. I said I am not sure what they ment by that. they asked me to take my weapon out to check it, I did as instructed and they checked it for any ammo, they did not check the serial number and were very respectful of me. I put it back into my holster. they then asked me if I would mind showing them some ID. they informed me that it is completly volunterry and I did not have to. they were very polite and respectful. I answered a few of there questions, but not to many. I told them I do not mean to sound rude, but I would perfer not to give out to much information. they said they understood and told me someone had called about a man with a gun in the pub. while this was going on, they told the other officers and cars that things were fine and they all left except the two officer that were talking to me. They had no problems with me and what I was doing at all. I was on my way in just a few minutes. Very professional folks there. Just wanted to tell everyone about my first encounter with OC'n in so california.

dirtykoala

imported post

oifoefvet wrote:
I was out in the Seal Beach area today, from about 3pm till about 10pm. I was OC'n the whole day. I spent time walking along the main street in seal beach with no problem all day, having lunch in one of the resturants, and going in to three different pubs that I know well. All of the pubs had no problem with me, although they do know me. I did not drink anything but sprite, and had dinner there chatting with my friends. At about 10pm, I finally left for home, getting tired and all. I was stopped on my way to my car. there were about 4 local police cars. they were very friendly and asked me to come over to them. I did as instructed and when they got there, they said they would like to ask me if my weapon was loaded, I told them sure. they then asked me if I was with that group that does this. I said I am not sure what they ment by that. they asked me to take my weapon out to check it, I did as instructed and they checked it for any ammo, they did not check the serial number and were very respectful of me. I put it back into my holster. they then asked me if I would mind showing them some ID. they informed me that it is completly volunterry and I did not have to. they were very polite and respectful. I answered a few of there questions, but not to many. I told them I do not mean to sound rude, but I would perfer not to give out to much information. they said they understood and told me someone had called about a man with a gun in the pub. while this was going on, they told the other officers and cars that things were fine and they all left except the two officer that were talking to me. They had no problems with me and what I was doing at all. I was on my way in just a few minutes. Very professional folks there. Just wanted to tell everyone about my first encounter with OC'n in so california.

sounds like a pretty good encounter. one thing that i want to point out is that you should not touch your weapon when LEOs are around. if they ask you to get your weapon, tell them if theydemand to perform an inspection, they can do so on their own, if they give you your gun back, turn with your holster pointed toward them and tell them to reholster your gun.

imagine how bad things could turn out if you and one cop were standing there and another cop came out as you were pulling your gun out of your holster.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

7 hours of UOC in public? That's pretty hardcore.

It's goodthat it tookso long for there to be a police encounter. I would like to stress a couple of points, however. As has been mentioned, a recorder should be running while you carry- I would add that being surrounded by friendly witnesseswould also behelpful. Handling your firearm at any point during detention isnt a good idea, even at the officer's instruction- the officer conducting the examination should be responsible for any handling of the firearm while you you are being questioned, including re-holstering.

You do not mention whether you have sufficient funding in case you are arrested and must post bail and/or fund your own legal defense. If you havent thought much about it, its long past time to consider.

kwikrnu

Banned
imported post

ConditionThree wrote:
As has been mentioned, a recorder should be running while you carry-

You don't want to end up filled with lead because the cop thought your recorder was a telephone, hair brush, candy bar, or a wallet, I mean gun.

cell phone

http://cbs13.com/local/police.mistake.cell.2.473490.html

cell phone

http://www.mycaliforniadefenselawyer.com/2009/07/officers-mistake-cell-phone-for-weapon-and-shoot-athens-man/

wallet

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amadou_Diallo

hairbrush

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/13/nyregion/13domestic.html

candy bar

http://www.nytimes.com/1997/11/08/nyregion/agent-mistakes-candy-bar-for-gun-and-shoots-youth.html?pagewanted=1

markm

imported post

Wow, good deal.

I am wondering if the police were more interested in ascertaining whether you were a MWAG (aka, OCer) or an intoxicated MWAG (OCer). After all, you were in a pub. Youare a brave guy to OC in a bar.

I am not brave enough to OC in an incorporated city, let alone a bar. Although, if I had defense money laying around, I would be "trolling" for a civil rights court case. Maybe you are that guy.

Can you start a defense fund or a civil fund for the rest of us?

Touching or handling your gun in a prohibited shooting area is a scary thing. Iremember an incident in SD on 805. A MWAT call went out. Thepolice arrived en masse and ended the incident by shooting a Mexican man with no english speaking capability. His offense, grabbing a concrete finishing trowel.Bystanders thought the gunned-down guy was confused before his life ended. It seemed that the Mexicanman thought the police wanted him to hand them the trowel. Moral of the story: Don't conceal your trowels, and definately don't hand trowels to policewhen coppers have drawn down on you.

True story...

My mom and I still get mad over that one.

markm

pullnshoot25

imported post

Sounds like the cops are evolving but the OCers are regressing...

DO NOT TOUCH YOUR FARKING GUN!

Other than that and the willfull 4A violations, a splendid interaction.

oifoefvet

imported post

I did not see anything wrong with OC for 7 hours, it is my right. As for being at a pub, I have a ton of friends there, including the owner and bartenders, they all really didnt think anything about it. I would never drink while OC'n, and when the officers asked me to remove my weapon. at first the one very young officer asked if he could check, then the older one told him to have me remove it for him. when I did. I sipmly pulled it straight up and then stopped. I had him take it from me, then he checked it and then gave it right back to me and it went straight into my holster. I had them only two feet from me, and they were not very wound up or on alert as I saw it. they were very casual and calm. In the future I will ask them to remove it though. As far as any leagal fund, no, I have just gotten back from Afghanistan, I an injured and on disibility pay, which is almost nothing. But I have done nothing wrong, and did nothing wrong. they asked me if I was part of that 'group'. I told them I am a new member, but that I probable carry once a month to support the rights. Again, they were very easy, respectful and actually pleasent to deal with. It was like the older one was kind of teaching the younger one how to deal with this type of encounter. I do applaud the seal peach police department. I was wearing a Vetrans hat at the time, and the comunity is a strong military supporting one, so maybe that helped. I dont see what the problem is with OC for as many hours as I did, its my right, and I again did nothing wrong. I was responsible and courtious. I did not outright expose it, I kept in the corner of the bar, talking to my friends the whole time. But, I did cross the street from one pub to the others. there are three here and all of them really had no issues with me. I do know them well also. The doormen, aka bouncers all saw me OC and simply said hi. It was a great time. If anyone would like to OC here with me in the future, please let me know, I am up for it.

pullnshoot25

imported post

oifoefvet wrote:
I did not see anything wrong with OC for 7 hours, it is my right. As for being at a pub, I have a ton of friends there, including the owner and bartenders, they all really didnt think anything about it. I would never drink while OC'n, and when the officers asked me to remove my weapon. at first the one very young officer asked if he could check, then the older one told him to have me remove it for him. when I did. I sipmly pulled it straight up and then stopped. I had him take it from me, then he checked it and then gave it right back to me and it went straight into my holster. I had them only two feet from me, and they were not very wound up or on alert as I saw it. they were very casual and calm. In the future I will ask them to remove it though. As far as any leagal fund, no, I have just gotten back from Afghanistan, I an injured and on disibility pay, which is almost nothing. But I have done nothing wrong, and did nothing wrong. they asked me if I was part of that 'group'. I told them I am a new member, but that I probable carry once a month to support the rights. Again, they were very easy, respectful and actually pleasent to deal with. It was like the older one was kind of teaching the younger one how to deal with this type of encounter. I do applaud the seal peach police department. I was wearing a Vetrans hat at the time, and the comunity is a strong military supporting one, so maybe that helped. I dont see what the problem is with OC for as many hours as I did, its my right, and I again did nothing wrong. I was responsible and courtious. I did not outright expose it, I kept in the corner of the bar, talking to my friends the whole time. But, I did cross the street from one pub to the others. there are three here and all of them really had no issues with me. I do know them well also. The doormen, aka bouncers all saw me OC and simply said hi. It was a great time. If anyone would like to OC here with me in the future, please let me know, I am up for it.

My issue is not with your presentation or demeanor, it is with touching your gun. That is a big NO.

Also, when there is no evidence, you are still just another dead guy.

markm

imported post

Hey Oifoevet:

Thank you very much for defending us and I am sorry that you were WIAor otherwise injured, if it was not in combat. In country and injured is the same to me.

Please watch this video. It was taken by an OCer. Notice the police response.Take notice of the chopper. Some police departments love playing SWAT and wasting time on LAW ABIDING citizens because that saves them from going after dangerous BGs.

http://www.opencarryradio.com/?p=435

As stated before on this thread by another poster, I would gladly OC with you!

markm

demnogis

imported post

I give you a +1 for having a great day OCing.

I give you another +1 for having a positive LEO encounter.

However, I give you -1 for handling your firearm.
DO NOT EVER HANDLE YOUR FIREARM, EVEN IF REQUESTED TO BY LEOs.

Sadly, I must give another -1 for not having a voice recorder running.

For your next OC encounter though, you will be a bit more educated. I doubt you're going to take part in the "stand down" that we're asking of others (til June?) until the 2nd is re-incorporated for CA. Currently there is no Right to Keep and Bear Arms in the Turd-brown state of CA.

Read over the information again at http://www.CaliforniaOpenCarry.org and ... Carry on!

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

I'll just give a general +1 to the advice others gave already. Not all cops are going to be so respectful... and some are just plain bad. Better to be safe than sorry - CYA.

Otherwise, glad to hear further evidence that we've made progress. A year or two ago these same cops probably wouldn't have know open carry was legal. Thanks to the hard work and sacrifice of members here, I'm guessing we have educated upward of 80% of the cops in this state.

Makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside...

demnogis

imported post

We're successfully educating them, yes.

But there will still be those departments that have to be dragged, kicking and screaming, into the realization that there will be consequences for willfully violating the rights of the people.

It is becoming more obvious which departments those are... Yes indeed we ARE making progress :D

CA_Libertarian wrote:
Otherwise, glad to hear further evidence that we've made progress. A year or two ago these same cops probably wouldn't have know open carry was legal. Thanks to the hard work and sacrifice of members here, I'm guessing we have educated upward of 80% of the cops in this state.

Makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside...