• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

LEO Encounter...It just keeps getting better and better.

heliopolissolutions

imported post

Well, I swung down to Fresno this evening.

Took a drive and went for a walk around 12:30 am. Had my kabar sheathed on my belt.

Mr. Security Guard rolls up and asks to speak with me, I decline and continue on my walk.

A few minutes later, as I'm walking to my car, Officer Carter of the Clovis PD rolls up and detains me on the bumper of her patrol car.

Demands ID, declined.

Demands reason for being out so late, taking a stroll.

After a while of being abrasive, Officer Carter threatens to arrest me for obstructing an investigation, given that Mr. Security Guard indicated I was up to no good and burglurizing cars.

I again decline to offer my ID.

A few minutes later, its cold out and I'm tired of sitting on the bumper of a car being detained.

Officer Carter calls up another patrol car.

I attempt to explain my reluctance to offering ID or my DOB or address.

Officer Carter tells me to stop trying to educate her, and indicated that I was "being an ass". She tells me she doesn't much care for her authority being questioned.

She tells me I'm parked illegally, and that is why I'm being detained. I'm parked on the side of a subdivision road, next to a park.

Sick and tired of the same old bull@#$%, I offer my drivers lisence and ask her to be a bit more polite, and that her attitude is certainly not endearing me to cooperate.

She takes my knife and sets it on the hood, runs the ID, then I get a lecture from her even more abrasive friend on how I need to cooperate fully, or risk arrest.

Ugh. Not a big deal, the whole thing didn't take much more than a half hour. It was certainly better than my last encounter with LEO, but it galvanizes me still further against a system that encourages lying and coercion to waste the time and freedom for those they are supposed to serve.

In hindsight I should have just clammed up and spent the evening being belligerent or let her try to arrest me and charge me. Honestly though, I caved, but maybe it was for the better interest of myself to come home and enjoy the rest of my weekend instead of steaming at the office and letting myself get jerked around all night.

I'll write a complaint, but it won't accomplish anything. Either you comply, or you waste your time. Worst part of it is the attitude of the LEO though..."don't try to educate me, I am your master". Idiotic.

1245A Defender

imported post

She tells me I'm parked illegally, and that is why I'm being detained. I'm parked on the side of a subdivision road, next to a park.

After a while of being abrasive, Officer Carter threatens to arrest me for obstructing an investigation, given that Mr. Security Guard indicated I was up to no good and burglurizing cars.

WOW! seeing as you were a car burgler AND an illegal car parker!!! im surprised you werent arrested and ticketed!!!
i quess you were just lucky this time..

kwikrnu

Banned
imported post

heliopolissolutions wrote:

Took a drive and went for a walk around 12:30 am. Had my kabar sheathed on my belt.

Mr. Security Guard rolls up and asks to speak with me, I decline and continue on my walk.

A few minutes later, as I'm walking to my car, Officer Carter of the Clovis PD rolls up and detains me on the bumper of her patrol car.

Demands ID, declined.

A few minutes later, its cold out and I'm tired of sitting on the bumper of a car being detained.

Officer Carter tells me to stop trying to educate her, and indicated that I was "being an ass". She tells me she doesn't much care for her authority being questioned.

Sick and tired of the same old bull@#$%, I offer my drivers lisence and ask her to be a bit more polite, and that her attitude is certainly not endearing me to cooperate.

She takes my knife and sets it on the hood, runs the ID, then I get a lecture from her even more abrasive friend on how I need to cooperate fully, or risk arrest.

Ugh. Not a big deal, the whole thing didn't take much more than a half hour. It was certainly better than my last encounter with LEO, but it galvanizes me still further against a system that encourages lying and coercion to waste the time and freedom for those they are supposed to serve.

In hindsight I should have just clammed up and spent the evening being belligerent or let her try to arrest me and charge me. Honestly though, I caved, but maybe it was for the better interest of myself to come home and enjoy the rest of my weekend instead of steaming at the office and letting myself get jerked around all night.

I'll write a complaint, but it won't accomplish anything. Either you comply, or you waste your time. Worst part of it is the attitude of the LEO though..."don't try to educate me, I am your master". Idiotic.
If you have nothing to hide you need to cooperate with the police. You should write a letter of apology and tape it to a box of donuts.

Poblacht32

imported post

heliopolissolutions wrote:

Demands ID, declined.

I've been through this same situation countless times over the years with the Concord Police where I live! I work nights and ride my bike about 10 miles every night after midnight. I've been stopped so many times without probable cause and harassed. I finally filed a complaint with the city last December and was contacted by the officers seargent. Haven't been bothered by these officers since!

I just started my own blog for me and others to voice our opinions against the Concord Police. Don't even think about Open Carrying in Concord either. They said they'lldraw their guns on you for their safety!

Here's the link to my blog:http://cpdcomplaints.blogspot.com/

markm

imported post

Hey Helio...

I thought burglary was a PC offense? I thought a vehicle infraction requires DL and registration? I thought "up to no good" was a capitol offense?

How come she did not arrest you with all of that PC?

Years ago, a jurisdiction kept harrassing a long haired guy who liked to take walks at night.

The police always stopped him and harrassed him. They never had PC or RAS. He finally sued over 4th A civil rights. At thetime, I was niave. I thought the police were doing their job. I was shocked when the verdict came out. I had a policeman-friend explain it to me. He said with no RAS and no PC, a copper can only use polite small-talk to makecontact with such a person. You know, "nice weather out", "are you lost?" "If you need any help, I'll be patroling the area all night", and "have an enjoyable walk."

But, they don't make coppers asI knew them when I was a kid. Sgt. Do... and Officer Cr... must be anachronisms.

Guys and Gals, what we have here is not a 2nd A problem. We have a serious 4th A problems in the tarnished state.

What is the best way to create a defense fund so that we can intentionally make an example out of oneof these bastard law-breaking coppers?

markm

L in Oakland

imported post

Ok, what was the verdict? I'm down for a defense fund as I know I would probably be harassed quit often and I would not give up my information and would probably go to jail.

demnogis

imported post

MarkBofRAdvocate wrote:
[...] What is the best way to create a defense fund so that we can intentionally make an example out of oneof these bastard law-breaking coppers?
Probably for us to actually set up an "organization" here in CA. Those of us that would like the benefit of the program would have to put in to the fund.

Only problem is... None of us has money to spare.

cato

imported post

Got it on tape? 2 against one..our version didn't happen.

It would nothave hurt to be polite to the security guard. And I (personally) would not have behaved like that with the policeunless I was recording or had several witnesses.

DO file a complaint however asit does help...eventually.

BUT first do a PRAR (records request) to see IF they had the RAS to investigate based on the information provided from the security guards call and dispatch log/radio transmissions (if any).

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

+1 on the PRAR and the complaint (in that order - if you do the complaint first they can play the employee disciplinary investigation card).

If the guard did make a false report, I would have a conversation with the station officer about why his officers failed to investigate the real criminal (the guy making false reports). Then I'd sue the PPO (guard company) - from first-hand experience, in some companies the guard won't be fired unless it affects the owner's bottom line. (Had one guard break into a car and steal a radio while on duty, car owner interrupted the burglary, car owner didn't want to go through the trouble to sue, guard was assigned to a different post where he got more hours.)

If the cops lied about their RAS/PC, then I'd include that in my complaint.

The FBI might also be interested in investigating officers who use intimidation to coerce people to give up their 4A rights.

Ninja_Commando

imported post

demnogis wrote:
MarkBofRAdvocate wrote:
[...] What is the best way to create a defense fund so that we can intentionally make an example out of one of these bastard law-breaking coppers?
Probably for us to actually set up an "organization" here in CA. Those of us that would like the benefit of the program would have to put in to the fund.

Only problem is... None of us has money to spare.

What if those interested in the program would just make monthly contributions on whatever they can afford... say like $10-20 a month?

Do you mean something along the line of the CGF? But only for the OC movement? I would contribute! This would be a great alternative to individuals starting there own fund,since we are probably talking about $1000's,no?

Although I see it necessary,just sucks how we have to worry about being falsely arrested and harassed for exercising our GOD GIVEN RIGHTS!

Ninja_Commando

imported post

i wanted to add,even though I don't OC just yet,I've started making it a habit of carrying around my audio recorder... especially because I LUCC when I go to work. I think it should be even more necessary considering how ones rights can be trampled,activist or not!

Streetbikerr6

imported post

Have you ever noticed there are cops that know how to do their jobs and cops that don't? I am not saying cops should be robots and not exercise judgement although when they cross the line on a law abider it is just disgusting.

I mean there is a point when a citizen can easily be charged with disorderly conduct.. which I think we can all agree this guy is being pretty disorderly..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OgeMNVFpIg

I wish all cops could show this mans restraint. He pretty much knows how to do his job without letting his emotions derail his decisions and make him instigate threats of arrest as many OC'ers have witnessed for doing nothing wrong. We have the right to not incriminate ourselves yet cops take it as a personal attack when we choose not to talk to them.

cato

imported post

Streetbikerr6 wrote:
which I think we can all agree this guy is being pretty disorderly..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OgeMNVFpIg

That video was staged. That officer was fired (Ibelieve)for setting up that 'encounter' to counter the many complaints he had received.

CA's 'disorderly' statutes, PC 647 et al, are thankfully not as subjective as some states'.

CA's disturbing the peace statute, PC 415 (noise), requiresa 'victim'. Officers, per case law, can not be the offended party.

CA's brandishing statute, PC 417, is also veryfairly worded.

codename_47

imported post

Eh, Weak.

You should have the guts to stand up and risk arrest. Here's a hint: they probably are bluffing.

This is you pissed off? Why didn't you stand up to them? Why did you give in? Refuse to provide your ID. If they arrest you, you'll have a 20k check or thereabouts in your near future.

Clamming up does not equal belligerenace. In fact, it is quite the opposite. Yes, you caved. Me and the rest of the country need you to better next time.

You have nothing to complain of and nobody to blame but yourself. Folks, you have to stand up and be counted. They rely on your fear to keep you in check.

The FBI might also be interested in investigating officers who use intimidation to coerce people to give up their 4A rights.

No, they won't be. Sorry to burst your bubble.

yelohamr

imported post

cato wrote:
Got it on tape? 2 against one..our version didn't happen.

It would nothave hurt to be polite to the security guard. And I (personally) would not have behaved like that with the policeunless I was recording or had several witnesses.

DO file a complaint however asit does help...eventually.

BUT first do a PRAR (records request) to see IF they had the RAS to investigate based on the information provided from the security guards call and dispatch log/radio transmissions (if any).

If the security guard had reported car break-ins previously and sees someone strollingin the vicinity, he would be expected to call police.

CA may not be a stop and I.D. state, but in this case, politenesscan goa long way in making the experience a lot shorter.