Thread: Dan Casey found a friend in the Stafford County Sun

Post imported post

Last edited by Curtis; 07-24-2010 at 10:29 PM.

Post imported post

Commented.

Post imported post

This is in Bill Howell's district. He needs to say either he agrees or he disagrees with this Editorial.

Post imported post

I honestly think it would be an insult to ask Bill Howell to even comment on this piece. I generally do not discuss irrelevant details on these kinds of issues, you know that whole Fallacy Ad hominem thing... but in this case, seriously, this appears to have been written by a 5th grader. I keep looking for the tag line that says "Guest editorial by little Susy Smith, from Mrs. Johnson's 5th grade class."

This is strictly amateur folks, no real facts, all feelings. Certainly worthwhile to comment and point out these faults to the unsuspecting, but no need for anyone to take it seriously, IMHO.

TFred

Post imported post

Repeater wrote:
    This is in Bill Howell's district. He needs to say either he agrees or he disagrees with this Editorial.
    Bill Howell is pro-power and anti-anythingthatcauseshimaheadache.

Since we, gun-owners, make him work and feel pain, he does not like us.

He stopped inviting me to his 'advisory committee' meetings as they just did not seem to goas smooth as he would have likedwhen I was there. :shock:

Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

Curtis wrote:
    http://www2.staffordcountysun.com/sc...y_world/55028/

[line]Editorial: Gun control necessary in today’s crazy world
    Published: April 2, 2010

In an age where anyone can get a gun, times need to change.

Not everyone can be trusted to be sane, think rationally and be competent while handling a gun, and for that reason in addition to numerous others, guns need to be taken away from the dangerous hands that hold them.

Sure, there are law-abiding citizens that want to keep guns in order to have “the right to protect themselves.” But, how many times have accidents happened to these people, too? How many times has a child wandered into their parents’ bedroom and discovered a new toy, only for the gun to go off and kill or injure the child?
    I don't know. How many? Once you find the data - real data - you may surprise even yourself. And in this case, it's not the gun, it's those parents, and only those, who don't exercise proper gun safety.

How many times are people successful in protecting themselves with a gun when an intruder enters their home?
    According to one of my coworkers, his sister was successful last Thursday. It was the second time she'd had to shoot an intruder.

More often than not, guns result in more trouble than protection other than through use by law enforcement, trained or military personnel.
    I'm trained. How long must I be military to qualify in your book? Will my 22 years count?

In select countries, safety problems don’t exist like we have in the United States because guns aren’t available to the degree that they are here.

When we’ll drive down the road and shoot each other over a road-rage incident, or over an argument with a neighbor, that’s when we should all sit down and wonder if something is really wrong with society, and the way many of us choose to live our lives. It should be a warning sign that change is necessary.
    So a defect in society should be fixed by eliminating ONE inanimate object? Where did you learn logic, may I ask?

Stafford County Sun editorials represent the opinion of the managing editor. Other columns, letters and cartoons on his page express the opinions of the authors and not necessarily the Stafford County Sun.
    [line]
    Laws alone can not secure freedom of expression; in order that every man present his views without penalty there must be spirit of tolerance in the entire population. -Albert Einstein

Post imported post

pourshot wrote:
    Repeater wrote:

He stopped inviting me to his 'advisory committee' meetings as they just did not seem to goas smooth as he would have likedwhen I was there. :shock:
    "Bill Howell is pro-power and anti-anythingthatcauseshimaheadache."

That is accurate and describes many GOP'ers.

A true Republican defends a Republic. Howell defends his ass.

Post imported post

Repeater wrote:
    pourshot wrote:
    Repeater wrote:

"Bill Howell is pro-power and anti-anythingthatcauseshimaheadache."

That is accurate and describes many GOP'ers.

A true Republican defends a Republic. Howell defends his ass.
    Whats wrong with defending your ass? If not me, who?

Post imported post

richarcm wrote:
    Because he is supposed to be a fiduciary in that position...

(and because I hate looking up $10 words I will add the following...)

Fiduciary definition

1. A person legally appointed and authorized to hold assets in trust for another person. The fiduciary manages the assets for the benefit of the other person rather than for his or her own profits.

2. A loan made on trust rather than against some security or asset.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

pourshot wrote:
    richarcm wrote:
    Because he is supposed to be a fiduciary in that position...

(and because I hate looking up $10 words I will add the following...)

Fiduciary definition

1. A person legally appointed and authorized to hold assets in trust for another person. The fiduciary manages the assets for the benefit of the other person rather than for his or her own profits.

2. A loan made on trust rather than against some security or asset.
    An elected official is supposed to be a voice of the people - elected to follow their wishes/instructions - not a position to further one's own agenda.

Of course we all know how that works out sometimes.

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.