• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Dan Casey found a friend in the Stafford County Sun

TFred

imported post

I honestly think it would be an insult to ask Bill Howell to even comment on this piece. I generally do not discuss irrelevant details on these kinds of issues, you know that whole Fallacy Ad hominem thing... but in this case, seriously, this appears to have been written by a 5th grader. I keep looking for the tag line that says "Guest editorial by little Susy Smith, from Mrs. Johnson's 5th grade class."

This is strictly amateur folks, no real facts, all feelings. Certainly worthwhile to comment and point out these faults to the unsuspecting, but no need for anyone to take it seriously, IMHO.

TFred

pourshot

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Repeater wrote:
This is in Bill Howell's district. He needs to say either he agrees or he disagrees with this Editorial.

Bill Howell is pro-power and anti-anythingthatcauseshimaheadache. :banghead:

Since we, gun-owners, make him work and feel pain, he does not like us.:cuss:

He stopped inviting me to his 'advisory committee' meetings :uhoh: as they just did not seem to goas smooth as he would have likedwhen I was there. :shock:

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Curtis wrote:
http://www2.staffordcountysun.com/scs/news/opinion/editorials/article/editorial_gun_control_necessary_in_todays_crazy_world/55028/

[align=left]
[line]Editorial: Gun control necessary in today’s crazy world
Published: April 2, 2010

In an age where anyone can get a gun, times need to change.

Not everyone can be trusted to be sane, think rationally and be competent while handling a gun, and for that reason in addition to numerous others, guns need to be taken away from the dangerous hands that hold them.

Sure, there are law-abiding citizens that want to keep guns in order to have “the right to protect themselves.” But, how many times have accidents happened to these people, too? How many times has a child wandered into their parents’ bedroom and discovered a new toy, only for the gun to go off and kill or injure the child?
I don't know. How many? Once you find the data - real data - you may surprise even yourself. And in this case, it's not the gun, it's those parents, and only those, who don't exercise proper gun safety.

How many times are people successful in protecting themselves with a gun when an intruder enters their home?
According to one of my coworkers, his sister was successful last Thursday. It was the second time she'd had to shoot an intruder.

More often than not, guns result in more trouble than protection other than through use by law enforcement, trained or military personnel.
I'm trained. How long must I be military to qualify in your book? Will my 22 years count?

In select countries, safety problems don’t exist like we have in the United States because guns aren’t available to the degree that they are here.

When we’ll drive down the road and shoot each other over a road-rage incident, or over an argument with a neighbor, that’s when we should all sit down and wonder if something is really wrong with society, and the way many of us choose to live our lives. It should be a warning sign that change is necessary.
So a defect in society should be fixed by eliminating ONE inanimate object? Where did you learn logic, may I ask?

Stafford County Sun editorials represent the opinion of the managing editor. Other columns, letters and cartoons on his page express the opinions of the authors and not necessarily the Stafford County Sun.
[line]
[/align]​

Repeater

imported post

pourshot wrote:
Repeater wrote:
This is in Bill Howell's district. He needs to say either he agrees or he disagrees with this Editorial.

He stopped inviting me to his 'advisory committee' meetings :uhoh: as they just did not seem to goas smooth as he would have likedwhen I was there. :shock:
"Bill Howell is pro-power and anti-anythingthatcauseshimaheadache."

That is accurate and describes many GOP'ers.

A true Republican defends a Republic. Howell defends his ass.

richarcm

imported post

Repeater wrote:
pourshot wrote:
Repeater wrote:

"Bill Howell is pro-power and anti-anythingthatcauseshimaheadache."

That is accurate and describes many GOP'ers.

A true Republican defends a Republic. Howell defends his ass.
Whats wrong with defending your ass? If not me, who?

pourshot

Campaign Veteran
imported post

richarcm wrote:

Because he is supposed to be a fiduciary in that position...

(and because I hate looking up $10 words I will add the following...)

Fiduciary definition

1. A person legally appointed and authorized to hold assets in trust for another person. The fiduciary manages the assets for the benefit of the other person rather than for his or her own profits.

2. A loan made on trust rather than against some security or asset.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

pourshot wrote:
richarcm wrote:

Because he is supposed to be a fiduciary in that position...

(and because I hate looking up $10 words I will add the following...)

Fiduciary definition

1. A person legally appointed and authorized to hold assets in trust for another person. The fiduciary manages the assets for the benefit of the other person rather than for his or her own profits.

2. A loan made on trust rather than against some security or asset.
An elected official is supposed to be a voice of the people - elected to follow their wishes/instructions - not a position to further one's own agenda.

Of course we all know how that works out sometimes.

Yata hey