• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question about Open Carry vs Concealed Carry in banned cities

irehog66

imported post

I'm new to this forum so the answers I seek may be posted already but I could not find them - so don't shoot me yet!

I am all about open carry. I truly appreciate the wisdom of open carry. I have an Oregon CHL and carry everyday. But more and more open carry appeals to me. I am also all about making a statement about who I am and the rights that are mine by virtue of who we are and where we live.

I live in Portland - enough said. I have LE friends - they all have different OPINIONS - enough said!

I want to be able to open carry in the City of Portland if I can legally.

I understand the conceptual difference and rules between open carry and concealed carry in Oregon. BUT I AM REALLY FOGGY ABOUT OPEN CARRY IN BANNED CITIES.
Its obvious that there are members that do open carry LOADED firearms in banned cities.

I've read the Portland statute over and over - I'm missing some language somewhere!

The Portland statute prohibits the possession of loaded firearms . . . blah blah. One of the exceptions to the rule is CHL holders. I GET THAT PART. But I would assume that the exception is possession in the concealed sense - not open carry.

For those of you that do open carry LOADED firearms - how do you interpret possession?

Any help on this would be appreciated!!

Ironbar

imported post

The bottom line:

If you have a valid CHL, you are perfectly legal in carrying a loaded pistol on your person in plain sight anywhere in Oregon. That includes the firearm ban cities.

Jenshubby

imported post

Your CWP allows you to OC a loaded firearm in those "banned" cities. You can carry an unloaded firearm if you wish.

166.173 Authority of city or county to regulate possession of loaded firearms in public places. (1) A city or county may adopt ordinances to regulate, restrict or prohibit the possession of loaded firearms in public places as defined in ORS 161.015.

(2) Ordinances adopted under subsection (1) of this section do not apply to or affect:

(a) A law enforcement officer in the performance of official duty.

(b) A member of the military in the performance of official duty.

(c) A person licensed to carry a concealed handgun.

(d) A person authorized to possess a loaded firearm while in or on a public building or court facility under ORS 166.370.

(e) An employee of the United States Department of Agriculture, acting within the scope of employment, who possesses a loaded firearm in the course of the lawful taking of wildlife. [1995 s.s. c.1 §4; 1999 c.782 §8; 2009 c.556 §3]

irehog66

imported post

Thanks for the input. I think that the root of my concern is the definition of POSSESSION.

My question has been answered > Possession = Open Carry!