Thread: open carry legal at old courthouse?

Post imported post

The Lapeer TEA party is having an event on the lawn of the old court house. This building is no longer used as a court house, and it across the street from the new one.

Is firearm possession legal on the front lawn?

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? (who will watch the watchmen?)

I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of posts should be construed as legal advice.

Post imported post

I would think that if it's not a court anymore then it would be fine, but that's just a guess.
    "You'll be walking along.. OC.. and you'll feel GREAT. You'll feel FREEEEE like 1776 kind of Free." -cscitney87

Post imported post

anyone have a link to the court order or whatever it is called that makes it unlawful to carry in a court?

Post imported post

As I remember, the illegality is a result of a state supreme court ruling. I'll try to look it up.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Post imported post

The lawn should be fine. And if it is not an active courthouse I doubt the local security ruling has any affect on it any more.
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Post imported post

Office of supreme court [ Michigan ] Lansing has web site . Mi.gov

Post imported post

taxwhat wrote:
    Office of supreme court [ Michigan] Lansing has web site . Mi.gov
    Here is a link that might help out http://courts.michigan.gov/scao/index.htm

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA

Post imported post

The ruling is only for being inside the court house, not the parking lot or lawn, you're good to go.

Post imported post

Someone could ask the Lapeer County clerk how it's listed. My guess: historical monument.

Post imported post

anybody else planning to attend the tea party event on april 15th in lapeer? This would be my first tea party event

Post imported post

lapeer20m wrote:
    anybody else planning to attend the tea party event on april 15th in lapeer? This would be my first tea party event
    I see many more Tea Party events for you, especially a few years from now after your daughter is born.

Rights are like muscles. You must EXERCISE THEM to keep them from becoming atrophied.

Post imported post

after much searching, i found the administrative order:

Supreme Court Administrative Order 2001-1 states that weapons are not permitted in any courtroom, office, or other space used for official court business or by judicial employees unless the chief judge or other person designated by the chief judge has given prior approval consistent with the court's written policy. Each court is required to submit a written policy conforming with this order to the State Court Administrator for approval. Courts are encouraged to collaborate with other entities in shared facilities and, where appropriate, to work with local funding units in developing the policy, which may be a separate plan or part of a general security program.
    Looks like we are good to go.

Anyone else planning to attend? If so pm me and we can exchange cell phone numbers. I hate going to an event and not finding other oc'ers

Post imported post

Anybody else coming to this tomorrow?