• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OT: I think I found my new CC piece

Mech

imported post

Was bored in class yesterday, and saw a girl sitting next to me was on her computer shopping for shoes...so I got onto Gunbroker.com...yep, very bad for me, I know.

Stumbled across a very lightly used Smith & Wesson 908; then I remembered that I shot one at a range a looong time ago; so long that I had forgotten how much I loved that little sucker! Reviews online all seemed to be highly praised; I don't see 908's around much anymore so I decided to snatch it up.

The auction ended this morning; I was able to drag myself out of bed at 8AM (yes, for a college student on a Saturday morning, that is REALLY early haha) and made my bid. Got it for $310 shipped to my favorite FFL in Vancouver, WA. Can't wait to pick her up in May when I go home from college! :)

Some pics from the auction; ain't she a beauty?

pix1246307765.jpg

pix1246307718.jpg

pix1246307656.jpg

pix1246307687.jpg

Really not much wear on the coating; and if it bugs me that I much, I suppose I could always have it refinished.

Has everything I was looking for in a CC package: small and slim (single-stack), has an external safety, and from what I've read, its SA/DA. Having the decocker/safety on the left side of the gun only means it won't be jabbing my back when I CC it.

Quite a catch, indeed!

Tomas

imported post

My current daily carry is my trusty, old, well worn, and utterly reliable 908.

Mine shows a LOT of wear, but no scratches or dings anywhere, and has NEVER, EVER failed to make an appropriate loud noise when the trigger was pulled. No FTFs or FTEs.

(Only work ever done on it was a good ramp polishing and aftermarket grips.)

Probably the most comfortable to fire pistol I've ever had.

Many years old, and a trusted old friend...

9_32_carry.jpg

[S&W 908 and Kel-Tec P32 daily carry combo]

I hope you enjoy yours as much as I enjoy mine. :D

Mech

imported post

Thanks everyone! Glad there's someone on this forum that had enjoyed the 908. Being a tall (but wiry) guy, I need a thin pistol if I were to CC it, and the 908 fit the bill. Besides, what's not to love about a Smith & Wesson? :D

Lammo

imported post

Mech wrote:
Thanks everyone! Glad there's someone on this forum that had enjoyed the 908. Being a tall (but wiry) guy, I need a thin pistol if I were to CC it, and the 908 fit the bill. Besides, what's not to love about a Smith & Wesson? :D
Very similar to my original CC tool, the S&W 3913NL. Same single stack, left side only safety but there's a bit of a taper in the area I believe is called the dust cover (part of the frame under the barrel). Stock photo below. Mine came with black grips but it now wears a set of Hogue rubber grips. The Hogues have more of an arch in the back which fits my hand better. I have since switched to a Glock 36 in .45 but I'll never give up that little Smith.

Mech

imported post

Update:
after a month of waiting (was going to school on the east coast), finally picked up the 908 today. First impressions:
externally, the firearm looked fine. No major scratches except some holster-wear around the edges.

Internally, OMG it looks like whoever had this gun last did NOT clean it properly or often. The barrel ramp was black with carbon deposits, but nothing a generous bit of Hoppe's 9 couldn't take care of. Cleaned the gun, frame, and internal thoroughly with Hoppe's 9 and it should be ready to go for the range after I lube it and what not.

Overall quite pleased with the purchase.

Question: how do you take off the grip? Thanks!

Tomas

imported post

Ya know, it has been so long since I slid the OEM grips off and put the Hogues on I don't honestly remember. If I recall they sort of slide to the rear and down, but I don't honestly recall what kept them from doing that. I think the pin in the bottom rear edge of the grip pushed through and released the grip, but that is just a vague memory... Sorry! (The Hogues have screws.)

Mech

imported post

You're absolutely right, I think the pin in the lower corner of the grip is what's holding the grip onto the frame. I'm still waiting for the Hogue monogrip to come back in stock @ Midway...

Tomas

imported post

Be sure to lube it lightly - most folks tend to saturate the poor things and way over do it.

Enjoy! Those are very fine, honest little pistols. Nothing fancy, just solidly reliable.

(Glad my vague memory seems right - it has been probably 12-13 years since my 908 had stock grips...)

Norman

imported post

If I remember right you pop the pin and and pull back and down on the grips. They will slide a short ways, then you use a pocket knife or screwdriver to get one side or the other over the lip, and they slide the rest of the way off.

I bought one for like 250 from a gun shop a few years ago, specifically to give to my Grandpa so he would retire his 1934 Beretta in .32 auto. The thing has yet to hiccup and is pretty darn accurate.

Mech

imported post

Yep, just popped the pin and pull the grip down and out. Thanks for all the tips!

This gun sure feels different from my beefy finger-grooved Sig 226; much lighter too; can't wait to get it out to the range.

Lurkus Maximus

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Lammo wrote:
Mech wrote:
Very similar to my original CC tool, the S&W 3913NL. Same single stack, left side only safety but there's a bit of a taper in the area I believe is called the dust cover (part of the frame under the barrel). Stock photo below. Mine came with black grips but it now wears a set of Hogue rubber grips. The Hogues have more of an arch in the back which fits my hand better. I have since switched to a Glock 36 in .45 but I'll never give up that little Smith.
"THX 1138" under Model 3913. That was George Lucas' first movie. Starred Robert Duvall. Strange marking.

Lammo

imported post

Lurkus Maximus wrote:
Lammo wrote:
Mech wrote:
"THX 1138" under Model 3913. That was George Lucas' first movie. Starred Robert Duvall. Strange marking.
Didn't see that (the number - - saw the movie). That's a file photo though. The number on mine starts with THA.

Lammo

imported post

Mech wrote:
Yep, just popped the pin and pull the grip down and out. Thanks for all the tips!

This gun sure feels different from my beefy finger-grooved Sig 226; much lighter too; can't wait to get it out to the range.
IIRC, the Houges will have a small insert piece that fits into the frame and receives the screws. The original grip pin holds the insert in place so be sure not to lose it!

joeroket

imported post

Lammo wrote:
Lurkus Maximus wrote:
Lammo wrote:
Mech wrote:
Very similar to my original CC tool, the S&W 3913NL.  Same single stack, left side only safety but there's a bit of a taper in the area I believe is called the dust cover (part of the frame under the barrel).  Stock photo below.  Mine came with black grips but it now wears a set of Hogue rubber grips.  The Hogues have more of an arch in the back which fits my hand better.  I have since switched to a Glock 36 in .45 but I'll never give up that little Smith. 
"THX 1138"  under Model 3913.  That was George Lucas' first movie.  Starred Robert Duvall.  Strange marking.
Didn't see that (the number - - saw the movie).  That's a file photo though.  The number on mine starts with THA.

File photo from what? It sure is well used for being a file photo.

Lammo

imported post

joeroket wrote:
Lammo wrote:
Lurkus Maximus wrote:
Lammo wrote:
Mech wrote:
Didn't see that (the number - - saw the movie). That's a file photo though. The number on mine starts with THA.

File photo from what? It sure is well used for being a file photo.
From Googling 3913NL and finding a picture to use. Too lazy to take a pic of mine and post it (actually, it lives in the desk drawer at my office and I posted on this from home). Got the pic from here: http://smith-wessonforum.com/smith-wesson-semi-auto-pistols/115779-difference-between-3913-3913nl.html

Mech's 908 is closer to the "original" 3914, blued version of the 3913.