Thread: Newport News or Nottingham?

Post imported post

RETRO members feel intimidated by presence of armed sheriff & deputies at campaign forums. Some felt they shouldn't speak for their candidate who is running against the Sheriff's choice.

http://www.dailypress.com/news/opini...,5080932.story
    A law-abiding citizen should be able to carry his personal protection firearm anywhere that an armed criminal might go.

Member VCDL, NRA

Post imported post

Interesting.

Guess that will keep bumper stickers & yard signs for the opposition down to a minimum, huh?

Post imported post

The obvious fallacy is that, if more people in your organization were packin' heat, it wouldn't be a problem!!

When we(OC movement) decided to show up somewhere, we outnumber the cops. Heck, most of our OC dinners involve more people than police on duty in whatever county we're in.

It's not the cops fault your intimidated. You insinuate they are acting to influence elections like in other countries. In truth it is you, acting like the unarmed and helpless populace of one of those regimes, which makes it feel like a different country.

Why must you always shift responsibility from yourselves?
    illegal ≠ immoral legal ≠ moral
    [SIZE=1]"I never submitted the whole system of my opinions to the creed of any party of men whatever in religion, in philosophy, in politics, or in anything else where I was capable of thinking for myself. "Such an addiction is the last degradation of a free and moral agent." - Thomas Jefferson
    G19 Gen 4; Bersa Thunder 380; Sig Sauer P238; Kel-Tec su-16c

Post imported post

simmonsjoe wrote:
    The obvious fallacy is that, if more people in your organization were packin' heat, it wouldn't be a problem!!

When we(OC movement) decided to show up somewhere, we outnumber the cops. Heck, most of our OC dinners involve more people than police on duty in whatever county we're in.

It's not the cops fault your intimidated. You insinuate they are acting to influence elections like in other countries. In truth it is you, acting like the unarmed and helpless populace of one of those regimes, which makes it feel like a different country.

Why must you always shift responsibility from yourselves?
    If (blue statement) more people showed up "packin' heat", then they'd be more like (green stmt) OCDO (I attend these regularly.) who don't seem one bit intimidated, so what's the fallacy?

(Red stmnt). Other countries? Such efforts are more common in the USA than you might think. The problem here is the unethical participation of the Sheriff in the candidate's campaign. (He's campaign manager.) If his guy wins,MAIG will stillclaim theNewport News mayor as a member. The opposition candidate is pro-gun.

So far, I've only been able to attend one of these forums, and the people there who supported the opposition candidate didn't seem bothered by the presence of the Sheriff. There were only a couple of us "packin' heat".

A law-abiding citizen should be able to carry his personal protection firearm anywhere that an armed criminal might go.

Member VCDL, NRA

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

I am one of those people from this side of the fence, that DO object to LEO showing up at political rallies, pre-election events, council meetings etc. and speaking in favor of one side or the other.

Provide security fine, but not supporting/promoting a particular agenda or candidate while in the uniform of their office. That IMO is exerting influence that is inappropriate.

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Post imported post

I agree with Grapeshot. With my coming move to NN, this makes me a little nervous. Those of us in the DoD are allowed to vote and voice opinions for our preferred candidates and such but not while on duty. If the Sheriff wishes to make his personal view known that is one thing but he is also an elected official. To me, this not merely "riding the line", it is definitely going across it. I will keep a close eye on this mayoral election.

Post imported post

According to today's (4/4/2010) printed D/P, Sheriff Morgan will moderate theMoton Community House Candidates Forum on Thursday, Apr 29.

Member VCDL, NRA

Post imported post

It is not at all unusual for Deputies to be coerced into supporting their Sheriff at political events. Probably should be illegal, but it happens often. When you work at the pleasure of a Constitutional Officer there's a certain level of job security you just never obtain.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

paramedic70002 wrote:
    It is not at all unusual for Deputies to be coerced into supporting their Sheriff at political events. Probably should be illegal, but it happens often. When you work at the pleasure of a Constitutional Officer there's a certainlevel of job security you just never obtain.
    Whoops misunderstood at first - edited to fix.

Deputies do serve at the pleasure of the Sheriff in all instances that I have become aware.

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Post imported post

2a4all wrote:
    According to today's (4/4/2010) printed D/P, Sheriff Morgan will moderate theMoton Community House Candidates Forum on Thursday, Apr 29.
    I guess it pays to complain. The aforementioned forum will now be moderated by plotical blogger Dan Curran. (He provided press coverage of VCDL members' addresses to NN City Council in protest of Mayor Joe Frank's MAIG membership.)

http://forwardnewportnews.wordpress.com/

Member VCDL, NRA