• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Newport News or Nottingham?

simmonsjoe

imported post

The obvious fallacy is that, if more people in your organization were packin' heat, it wouldn't be a problem!!

When we(OC movement) decided to show up somewhere, we outnumber the cops. Heck, most of our OC dinners involve more people than police on duty in whatever county we're in.

It's not the cops fault your intimidated. You insinuate they are acting to influence elections like in other countries. In truth it is you, acting like the unarmed and helpless populace of one of those regimes, which makes it feel like a different country.

Why must you always shift responsibility from yourselves?

2a4all

imported post

simmonsjoe wrote:
The obvious fallacy is that, if more people in your organization were packin' heat, it wouldn't be a problem!!

When we(OC movement) decided to show up somewhere, we outnumber the cops. Heck, most of our OC dinners involve more people than police on duty in whatever county we're in.

It's not the cops fault your intimidated. You insinuate they are acting to influence elections like in other countries. In truth it is you, acting like the unarmed and helpless populace of one of those regimes, which makes it feel like a different country.

Why must you always shift responsibility from yourselves?
If (blue statement) more people showed up "packin' heat", then they'd be more like (green stmt) OCDO (I attend these regularly.) who don't seem one bit intimidated, so what's the fallacy?

(Red stmnt). Other countries? Such efforts are more common in the USA than you might think. The problem here is the unethical participation of the Sheriff in the candidate's campaign. (He's campaign manager.) If his guy wins,MAIG will stillclaim theNewport News mayor as a member. The opposition candidate is pro-gun.

So far, I've only been able to attend one of these forums, and the people there who supported the opposition candidate didn't seem bothered by the presence of the Sheriff. There were only a couple of us "packin' heat".

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

I am one of those people from this side of the fence, that DO object to LEO showing up at political rallies, pre-election events, council meetings etc. and speaking in favor of one side or the other.

Provide security fine, but not supporting/promoting a particular agenda or candidate while in the uniform of their office. That IMO is exerting influence that is inappropriate.

Yata hey

Milbars

imported post

I agree with Grapeshot. With my coming move to NN, this makes me a little nervous. Those of us in the DoD are allowed to vote and voice opinions for our preferred candidates and such but not while on duty. If the Sheriff wishes to make his personal view known that is one thing but he is also an elected official. To me, this not merely "riding the line", it is definitely going across it. I will keep a close eye on this mayoral election.

2a4all

imported post

According to today's (4/4/2010) printed D/P, Sheriff Morgan will moderate theMoton Community House Candidates Forum on Thursday, Apr 29.

paramedic70002

imported post

It is not at all unusual for Deputies to be coerced into supporting their Sheriff at political events. Probably should be illegal, but it happens often. When you work at the pleasure of a Constitutional Officer there's a certain level of job security you just never obtain.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

paramedic70002 wrote:
It is not at all unusual for Deputies to be coerced into supporting their Sheriff at political events. Probably should be illegal, but it happens often. When you work at the pleasure of a Constitutional Officer there's a certain level of job security you just never obtain.
Whoops misunderstood at first - edited to fix.

Deputies do serve at the pleasure of the Sheriff in all instances that I have become aware.

Yata hey

2a4all

imported post

2a4all wrote:
According to today's (4/4/2010) printed D/P, Sheriff Morgan will moderate theMoton Community House Candidates Forum on Thursday, Apr 29.

I guess it pays to complain. The aforementioned forum will now be moderated by plotical blogger Dan Curran. (He provided press coverage of VCDL members' addresses to NN City Council in protest of Mayor Joe Frank's MAIG membership.)

http://forwardnewportnews.wordpress.com/