• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

was the restaurant carry bill signed by the gov ??

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

I am now convinced that Bob McD will NOT sign the restaurant bill, but let it become law by default. He thereby furthers our cause and leaves himself open to the suggestion that he was not supporting gun rights, but allowing the obvious will of the GA to prevail.

At best that is very disappointing and surely is playing politics. What other avoidance of issues will be ducked or sidestepped? A strong leader leads from the front, not from the sidelines.

As Bob McD's star flickers, Ken C's brightens and shimmers.

Yata hey

curtiswr

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
I am now convinced that Bob McD will NOT sign the restaurant bill, but let it become law by default. He thereby furthers our cause and leaves himself open to the suggestion that he was not supporting gun rights, but allowing the obvious will of the GA to prevail.

At best that is very disappointing and surely is playing politics. What other avoidance of issues will be ducked or sidestepped? A strong leader leads from the front, not from the sidelines.

Yata hey
Starting to seem like that. :?

JimMullinsWVCDL

State Researcher
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:

Yata hey
Upon what factual basis do you say that? He said he would sign the bill. As of this weekend, he's only signed 318 of the 871 bills that passed(36.5%). restaurant CC remains somewhere in the stack of 553 bills awaiting action.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

WVCDL wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:

Yata hey
Upon what factual basis do you say that? He said he would sign the bill. As of this weekend, he's only signed 318 of the 871 bills that passed (36.5%). restaurant CC remains somewhere in the stack of 553 bills awaiting action.
Obviously, no quote or statement supporting this. Just a worrisome gut reaction. Frankly, hope that I am wrong.

There are things that Bob McD could have straighten out regarding our RKBA where he has chosen to be noticeably silent, even after making campaign promises to address the issues.

Yata hey

Yata hey

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
WVCDL wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:

Yata hey
Upon what factual basis do you say that? He said he would sign the bill. As of this weekend, he's only signed 318 of the 871 bills that passed (36.5%). restaurant CC remains somewhere in the stack of 553 bills awaiting action.
Obviously, no quote or statement supporting this. Just a worrisome gut reaction. Frankly, hope that I am wrong.

There are things that Bob McD could have straighten out regarding our RKBA where he has chosen to be noticeably silent, even after making campaign promises to address the issues.

Yata hey

Yata hey
I'm with Grapeshot. I have a bad feeling with little facts.
No one wants to talk to me which isn't necessarily odd, lots of people don't want to talk to me and I have insulted him a couple of times now over the VDOF.

He hasn't interceded in VDOF yet.

He has a spotty 2end Amendment record.

Now I'll get insulting again.
He's shown that he's spineless and bends with a little pressure from loud people.

When Old Va endorsed Cuccinelli, I wrote that I wouldn't endorse McDonnell because he was just the better of the bad.

He backstabbed Cuccinelli over his letter about Gays.

He Crawfished twice on Confederate History month.

He bent a campaign vow on restoration of rights and I'll bet he'll back paddle on that too.

He may well sign it....but I wouldn't be making any plans with the bets you put on it.

He does have a good looking daughter though!:shock:

I'll add a little more kindling on my suspicions.
One has to wonder why Bill Bolling didn't jerk a knot on Marsh and Saslaw's head????

We are coming up on Republican roundup planning time. Any word on the NEW location?

Why did so many Republican Senators breathe a sigh of relief when Marsh created the Death Committee?

JimMullinsWVCDL

State Researcher
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:

Yata hey

Yata hey
I would have a bad gut feeling if this bill's fate rested in the hands of my governor.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

WVCDL wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:

Yata hey

Yata hey
I would have a bad gut feeling if this bill's fate rested in the hands of my governor.
I read of that debacle - any chance of an over-ride of his veto?

Yata hey

JimMullinsWVCDL

State Researcher
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
WVCDL wrote:

Yata hey
No. We do not have "reconvened sessions" like Virginia does. However, this incident (along with post-adjournment vetoes of the current preemption law in the 1996 & 1998 before it was ultimately enacted in 1999 by being passed early in the session so it could not be vetoed after adjournment a third time) did inspire a new question (Question 26) on our just-released 2010 Legislative Candidate Survey.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

WVCDL wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
WVCDL wrote:

Yata hey
No. We do not have "reconvened sessions" like Virginia does. However, this incident (along with post-adjournment vetoes of the current preemption law in the 1996 & 1998 before it was ultimately enacted in 1999 by being passed early in the session so it could not be vetoed after adjournment a third time) did inspire a new question (Question 26) on our just-released 2010 Legislative Candidate Survey.
Very good - it is a never ending job isn't it.

Shame that there is not a law requiring politicians to honor their campaign promises - at least some penalty. :?

Yata hey

riverrat10k

imported post

Unfortunately, I am starting to agree with Peter Nap (oh the horror, the horror).:D

IMO, Bob M. has handled the gay rights issue, Confederate History Month, and the State Forest issues poorly.

And Cucinelli gets dragged through the dirt for supporting Virginians rights and following the letter of the law. I find Ken's opinions regarding preemption refreshing. It is extremely important to not allow agencies to create law. We have a General Assembly for that.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

riverrat10k wrote:
Unfortunately, I am starting to agree with Peter Nap (oh the horror, the horror).:D

IMO, Bob M. has handled the gay rights issue, Confederate History Month, and the State Forest issues poorly.

And Cucinelli gets dragged through the dirt for supporting Virginians rights and following the letter of the law. I find Ken's opinions regarding preemption refreshing. It is extremely important to not allow agencies to create law. We have a General Assembly for that.
While the Restaurant ban is only academic to me, I hope I'm wrong and he signs it. I told someone yesterday that McDonnell will go with whoever makes the most noise.

The difference between Cucccinelli and McDonald is that if Cuccinelli wrote me a check, I'd take it to the bank and spend the money. If McDonnell wrote me a check, I'd wait for it to clear.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

peter nap wrote:
riverrat10k wrote:

While the Restaurant ban is only academic to me, I hope I'm wrong and he signs it. I told someone yesterday that McDonnell will go with whoever makes the most noise.

The difference between Cucccinelli and McDonald is that if Cuccinelli wrote me a check, I'd take it to the bank and spend the money. If McDonnell wrote me a check, I'd wait for it to clear.
Still waiting.............still waiting. :?

Yata hey

1stfreedom

imported post

DONE!!

I just got word that the Governor McDonnell has signed the bill into law.

The law will take effect July 1, 2010

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

Governor Bob McDonnell Signs VA Restaurant Carry into Law

Fairfax, Va. - Governor Bob McDonnell has signed into law a NRA-backed measure allowing right-to-carry permit holders to carry a concealed firearm for self-defense in restaurants, providing they do not consume alcohol. State Senator Emmett Hanger (R-24) and Delegate Todd Gilbert (R-15) were the principal sponsors of Senate Bill 334/House Bill 505.

“This is a victory for self-defense in Virginia," said Chris W. Cox, executive director of the NRA’s Institute for Legislative Action. “As headlines remind us, violent crime can happen anywhere. Law-abiding Virginia residents now have the option to carry a firearm in restaurants to defend themselves and their loved ones.”

The measure passed the State Senate in February by a margin of 22-18 and passed the House of Delegates in early March with a vote of 72-27. Virginia is the 42nd state to extend self-defense rights to permit holders in restaurants.

“The right to self-defense and the protection of loved ones in and outside the home is vital. We are pleased that Virginia passed these laws to enhance the self-defense rights of law-abiding folks in the Commonwealth,” concluded Cox. “The NRA would like to thank Governor Bob McDonnell and the lead bill sponsors, Senator Emmett Hanger and Delegate Todd Gilbert, as well as all the other legislators who supported this common-sense measure.”

This law will take effect July 1, 2010.

In addition, Governor McDonnell has also signed the following pro-gun bills into law:

House Bill 8/Senate Bill 3, sponsored by State Senator Ralph Smith (R-22) and Delegate Charles Carrico (R-5), allows

darthmord

imported post

I don't understand why folks were worried...

1. He said he'd sign such a billif it got to him.
  2. It did.
  3. He had a craploadof bills to review.
  4. It takes time to go through the whole stack.
  5. The bill in question apparently was NOT in/on the top of the stack.
  6. How about a little patience so the Gov can do his job?
By all means, excoriate him if he failsto do his job. But to jump up & down because he hasn't gotten to it *yet* when he's got plenty of time?

My kids know better than to throw a tantrum because something hasn't been done NOW when I made it clear I would do so when I got to it.

Not everyone in government is bad. Judge each person on their own merits & failings.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

darthmord wrote:
I don't understand why folks were worried...
  1. He said he'd sign such a billif it got to him.
  2. He had a craploadof bills to review.
  3. It takes time to go through the whole stack.
  4. The bill in question apparently was NOT in/on the top of the stack.
  5. How about a little patience so the Gov can do his job?
By all means, excoriate him if he failsto do his job. But to jump up & down because he hasn't gotten to it *yet* when he's got plenty of time?

My kids know better than to throw a tantrum because something hasn't been done NOW when I made it clear I would do so when I got to it.

Not everyone in government is bad. Judge each person on their own merits & failings.
I love being wrong!

Now Bob, I'll make a BIG apology to you ...just as soon as you get you're ass over to VDOF and straighten them out.