• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anyone ask

22-250

imported post

Ok this may be a stupid question but has any asked the OCSD there position on OC?

Are there officers aware of the law? How they should react to someone OCing..ect.

Michigander

imported post

Oh yes they are aware.

Last year, 6 of us were messed with by the department.

It's a long story, but basically we had a meeting at a boston market, 911 was called, some deputies acted like fools, we complained to Sheriff Bouchard, and he made sweeping amends. He saw to it that every deputy of his was educated, and sent out information to a ton of other departments.

Sheriff Bouchard and I talked on the phone, and he was extremely apologetic, and said he is morally in line with OCing. He instructed me to tell everyone involved with OCing to contact him immediately if there are any problems he could help solve. He is now considered by many here to be a friend to our cause.

Taurus850CIA

imported post

22-250 wrote:
So then do they have a hands off approach?
Well, I suppose they must. I don't recall any negative encounters with OCSD since our get-together. I seem to recall one instance since then during which an OCS Deputy made contact with an OC'r, but it was short. I'm sorry, I can't name the person. I have the memory of a mouse.

Taurus850CIA

imported post

FYI, this get together was at the Boston Market in your area. The parking lot was rather full of OC police cars.

Eta:
Ok this may be a stupid question but has any asked the OCSD there position on OC? Are there officers aware of the law? How they should react to someone OCing..ect.
To answer your first question, no, we did not ask.

Scooter

imported post

22-250 wrote:
So have you guys gotten out of your car at, say a gas station and walk right by an LEO without a problem?
I live in Ypsilanti Township/Washtenaw County,...I have walked right in front of LEO's while entering/exiting stores. No problems.

stainless1911

Banned
imported post

I have dealt with OCSD several times. Most of the time they have been respectful, if not supportive of my rights. Only once, I ran across a total @$$hat. His judgement was so poor, I wouldn't trust him with a gun even if he wasn't a cop. After dealing with this department for years, I was very surprised at this. The OCSD as a whole, is one of the most professional outfits in the state.

Overall, they are alright in my book.

BTW, since I know that cops watch these threads, would you please start cracking down on all these people driving with their hibeams on? I understand its a 2 point ticket. Thanks much.:)

northofnowhere

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I feel the headlights scenario is worthy of a complete thread hijack at this point! How can you live where I do, getting 300 inches of snow a year, and not know that people can see you better ina blizzard with your lights on? This topic, like many gun control issues, and many other things in life, all come down to peoples self centeredness. Now I for one know the world revolves around me, so it clearly cannot revolve around, nm, I am digressing. Anyways, people just don't respect others, wether it be walking down the street, driving in a car, or pushing a cart through walmart.

Politicians should be thinking throughout thier term "how can I make my constituants lives better." People on the road should be thinking of how they can make the roads safer for others, ie turning on the headlights. Anyways, yea, the headlights thing really bugs me. We all tend to be so self absorbed we forget all about those around us. I feel very community oriented carrying a pistol, despit what others feel, as I know it isn't jsut to defend me, it is about all those around me on a daily basis too. It truly is a social responsibility!

Oh, btw, OCSD is a pretty good outfit, not that I know, but I trust others opinions and well, had to say something semi relevant to the thread to not feel guilty later on.

G

imported post

northofnowhere wrote:
I feel very community oriented carrying a pistol, despit what others feel, as I know it isn't jsut to defend me, it is about all those around me on a daily basis too. It truly is a social responsibility!
This sums it up!!!

DanM

imported post

northofnowhere wrote:
Politicians should be thinking throughout thier term "how can I make my constituants lives better."

Actually, I think that way of thinking also very wellleads to big government and the nanny-state.

It is better to bemore precise. Expect politicians to be thinking throughout their term "how can I promote orprotect ourindividual liberties and security with least government size and intrusion?"

This may not be the ultimately perfect statement, but it is better than being less precise. Because you get what you ask for, and asking for politicians to "make your lives better" can lead to a lot of things you neither expected nor wanted. :)

Leader

imported post

22-250 wrote:
So have you guys gotten out of your car at, say a gas station and walk right by an LEO without a problem?

Why is it so hard for you to believe that the police know & will enforce the law?

What has made you EXPECT police to violate the law?

As far as headlights goes, I am an older driver. We didn't have to turn our lights on to be seen, we actually paid attention to our driving, not a cell phone or whatever else you have going on in vehicles today.

Yooper

imported post

northofnowhere wrote:
I feel the headlights scenario is worthy of a complete thread hijack at this point! How can you live where I do, getting 300 inches of snow a year, and not know that people can see you better ina blizzard with your lights on?
Aren't you glad we didn't get that much this year???? Of course, it is only April.

B

Bikenut

imported post

northofnowhere wrote:
I feel the headlights scenario is worthy of a complete thread hijack at this point! How can you live where I do, getting 300 inches of snow a year, and not know that people can see you better ina blizzard with your lights on?
I hear ya!!! Born and raised in the U.P. so I can relate!

I think stupid arrogant brain dead people who steer their lazy boys on wheels from one place to another while entertaining themselves with electronic gadgets instead of actually driving their car deserves a complete new thread.

I wonder how many people understand that it is easier for the driver to see the road in fog, heavy rain, or snow, with the headlights on "dim"? And that high beams hitting fog, rain, and snow, only reflect more light than they illuminate the road? And that high beams in good weather are actually dangerous for oncoming traffic because they blind the oncoming driver?

Ok... that had nothing to do with OC... and I apologize for straying way off the forum's topic rules........

But I feel better for having vented!!!!:D

Inconsiderate drivers, arrogant legislators, and anti gun people, are nothing more than a symptom of the self centered ME FIRST!! wannabe tyrant portion of society.

Hey... I managed to get my post sorta in line with posting rules... sorta.;)

7th District

imported post

stainless1911 wrote:
BTW, since I know that cops watch these threads, would you please start cracking down on all these people driving with their hibeams on? I understand its a 2 point ticket. Thanks much.:)
I find that many people I stop for failing to dim have one of their low beam lights burned out. Many tell me that right at the beginning of the stop that this is the reason why they failed to dim. I'll in turn point out to them that failing to dim is a moving violation (ie points), and having a head light out is only a waiverable fix it ticket. In the last two or three weeks out of all the stops I've had for failing to dim, I've found three motorists who had both of their low beams burned out altogether.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

7th District wrote:
stainless1911 wrote:
I find that many people I stop for failing to dim have one of their low beam lights burned out. Many tell me that right at the beginning of the stop that this is the reason why they failed to dim. I'll in turn point out to them that failing to dim is a moving violation (ie points), and having a head light out is only a waiverable fix it ticket. In the last two or three weeks out of all the stops I've had for failing to dim, I've found three motorists who had both of their low beams burned out altogether.
What's your real reason for stopping someone for failing to dim their brights?