• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anyone ask

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

7th District wrote:
stainless1911 wrote:
BTW, since I know that cops watch these threads, would you please start cracking down on all these people driving with their hibeams on? I understand its a 2 point ticket. Thanks much.:)
I find that many people I stop for failing to dim have one of their low beam lights burned out. Many tell me that right at the beginning of the stop that this is the reason why they failed to dim. I'll in turn point out to them that failing to dim is a moving violation (ie points), and having a head light out is only a waiverable fix it ticket. In the last two or three weeks out of all the stops I've had for failing to dim, I've found three motorists who had both of their low beams burned out altogether.

I was once driving a 2003 Dodge Ram 2500 turbodiesel truck that has fog lights and sits pretty high up off the ground (factory lift kit - nothing HUGE).

I got pulled over with fog lights and low beams on for failing to dim. Took me 15 minutes of convincing that I didn't have the brights on. He refused to believe that they were low beams.

I get crap when I drive around in a jeep, too. Everyone thinks those are brights and "gets back" at me by putting their brights on as they pass. Sometimes they do it soon enough so I can flash my brights and they'll realize.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

fozzy71 wrote:
Venator wrote:
What's your real reason for stopping someone for failing to dim their brights?

That is reason enough it seems.

...failing to dim is a moving violation
Naw it's not. They are always fishing, that was my point. Not dimming lights in the grand scheme of things is very low priority for LEO's. It's just a reason to stop and invade your business.

22-250

imported post

Just got a reply, sweet! :D:

Hello, I am writing to ask if the Oakland County Sheriff Dept. has
instructed the law enforcement officers that work in the field about
the Legal Open Carrying of firearms by the general public?

Thank you
-------------------------------------------------------
Thank you for writing. The deputies and Command Staff received in service
training on open carry last year.

The presentation was prepared and presented by the Oakland County
Prosecutor's Office. The Oakland County Sheriff's Office Training Unit
continues to use the same information for any new Deputies.

I appreciate you taking the time to write.

Sincerely,

Sheriff Michael J. Bouchard

coderdude

imported post

I sent a polite email to the chief of police in White Lake and Waterford many months ago asking if their department was trained or aware of the laws regarding open carry. They never responded.

At this point i have since stop caring since i know it is not against the law, but just curious since the topic got brought up. Has anyone every talked with those police officers or chiefs?